From: Tim Bradshaw
Subject: Integrating ASDF with other system definition facilities
Has anyone tried persuading ASDF to generate structures for other
system definition facilities as well as its native classes?  Given
that (say) the LW system definiton tool has a very nice GUI, I'm
wondering if it would be possible to use ASDF, but then have something
walk over the structure it builds and generate an `equivalent' LW
structure.  Obviously there will be problems in that the things they
can express may be different, which I'd have to do some work to solve.

I'm not after a canned solution (though that would obviously be
great), but just anyone who can say that doing something like this
isn't completely mad.

Thanks

--tim

From: Paolo Amoroso
··········@tfeb.org (Tim Bradshaw) writes:

> Has anyone tried persuading ASDF to generate structures for other
> system definition facilities as well as its native classes?  Given
[...]
> I'm not after a canned solution (though that would obviously be
> great), but just anyone who can say that doing something like this
> isn't completely mad.

Among the ASDF sources of inspiration (see the README file in the
source distribution) is KMP's MIT AI Memo 801 "The Description of
Large Systems".  It's available online, but I don't have the URL
handy.  I don't actually have the paper handy either, but I seem to
remember that it mentions something similar to what you would like to
do.

Paolo
Recommended Common Lisp libraries/tools (Google for info on each):
- ASDF/ASDF-INSTALL: system building/installation
- CL-PPCRE: regular expressions
- UFFI: Foreign Function Interface
From: Roland Kaufmann
A.I. Memo No. 801, September, 1984
The Description of Large Systems
Kent M. Pitman

http://www.nhplace.com/kent/Papers/Large-Systems.html

                                regards
                                    Roland
From: Thomas F. Burdick
··········@tfeb.org (Tim Bradshaw) writes:

> Has anyone tried persuading ASDF to generate structures for other
> system definition facilities as well as its native classes?

Maybe it's great minds, or maybe it's similar initials ... I was
thinking about the same thing yesterday.  It would also be nice to
have the inverse, something that read X project files and created the
appropriate ASDF structure.  AFAIK, this doesn't exist yet, though.

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |
From: Rudi Schlatte
···@famine.OCF.Berkeley.EDU (Thomas F. Burdick) writes:

> Maybe it's great minds, or maybe it's similar initials ... I was
> thinking about the same thing yesterday.  It would also be nice to
> have the inverse, something that read X project files and created the
> appropriate ASDF structure.  AFAIK, this doesn't exist yet, though.

system.lisp in the McCLIM sources does something like this -- the
mcclim-defsystem macro defines systems for asdf and mk-defsystem.

Rudi
From: Edi Weitz
On 13 May 2004 07:30:51 -0700, ··········@tfeb.org (Tim Bradshaw) wrote:

> Has anyone tried persuading ASDF to generate structures for other
> system definition facilities as well as its native classes?  Given
> that (say) the LW system definiton tool has a very nice GUI, I'm
> wondering if it would be possible to use ASDF, but then have
> something walk over the structure it builds and generate an
> `equivalent' LW structure.  Obviously there will be problems in that
> the things they can express may be different, which I'd have to do
> some work to solve.
>
> I'm not after a canned solution (though that would obviously be
> great), but just anyone who can say that doing something like this
> isn't completely mad.

By chance I just came across this from CL-XML[1]:

  "it derives from the definition tool for cl-http, but is extended to
   support dependancies. the cl-xml release also includes macros which
   rewrite the definition forms to asdf and mk:defsystem syntax."

Edi

[1] <http://www.cl-xml.org/>