From: giorgio borghi
Subject: double blanks, triple blanks.....
are there other languages (not mathematica) which implement double
blanks, triple blanks, .. , ... , for searching patterns? Which is
more similar in this aspect? thanks.

From: John Thingstad
Subject: Re: double blanks, triple blanks.....
You could try (the language) ML. at: http://www.smlnj.org/
Nerver liked it much myself, but you may.
There is a lisp library that implements something along the manner you
suggest.
It is called screamer and is part of the clocc library.

I found it at:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/clocc/clocc/src/screamer

From: Richard Fateman
The notion of matching patterns is related to unification,
and you can find a huge literature on by looking for
unification along with commutative, associative, and identity
properties.  If you want to match specifically in algebraic
tree expressions, there are pattern matching facilities in
Maple, Reduce, Macsyma/Maxima and undoubtedly others. If
you want to look at how _, __, etc can be implemented, the
code for mockmma, in common lisp, that I have on my web site,
shows how it can be done. (It also has a mathematica parser).
It is probably "more similar" than other systems since it was
written in part to make it possible to run mma programs with
different underlying semantics than WRI's.

If you want to see an explanation of how to write pattern matching
implementations, I suggest Peter Norvig's "Paradigms of AI Programming".

From: Stijn De Saeger
Hi,
I'm not sure this is what you're looking for, but PCRE is a regular
expression library (perl-style) accessible from Scheme (PLT-Scheme, don't
know about other implementations). If what you want to do is pattern
matching on strings, this should work fine.
hope this helps,
stijn.