From: Kenny Tilton
Subject: PortaCello4: Faster, Lispier, and Noisier Than Ever
Viola!: ftp://common-lisp.net/pub/project/cello/

Faster: 400% so. All dislay lists all the time.
Lispier: destudlified
Noisier: OpenAL

Next step <tee-hee> is OS X. I am forming a posse to bring OS X in under
the Cello umbrella. I will be taking the easy way out and using either
Lispworks or MCL, probably MCL since I hear that does wonderful things
with frameworks (understandable given the Mac heritage).

The good news is that probably the only thing the posse will need to do
is help me figure out frameworks and "life with OS X" in general. The
bad news is that I need to drop off my iBook for service since Apple
builds crap, so there will be a short delay (a week?) before we actually
get started.

Anyone interested in helping can watch cello-devel for my cries of
anguish, and I will likely cross-post to comp.sys.mac.programmer.help.

Should I decide to plop for a new system, anybody want to weigh in on
the great G5 desktop vs 17" Powerbook question? I /have/ become fond of
working on a laptop. But how noisy are the suckers? My Dell is pretty
quiet unless something gets the CPU up to 100% for five seconds, then
the turbo noise drowns out Slim Shady. I hate fan noise. I see the G5
claiming low noise thru multiple small fans, plus I can put the desktop
behind something to muffle the noise. Any experience reports welcome.

kenny

--
Home? http://tilton-technology.com
Cells? http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/

From: mikel
Kenny Tilton wrote:

> Viola!: ftp://common-lisp.net/pub/project/cello/
>
> Faster: 400% so. All dislay lists all the time.
> Lispier: destudlified
> Noisier: OpenAL
>
> Next step <tee-hee> is OS X. I am forming a posse to bring OS X in under
> the Cello umbrella. I will be taking the easy way out and using either
> Lispworks or MCL, probably MCL since I hear that does wonderful things
> with frameworks (understandable given the Mac heritage).
>
> The good news is that probably the only thing the posse will need to do
> is help me figure out frameworks and "life with OS X" in general. The
> bad news is that I need to drop off my iBook for service since Apple
> builds crap, so there will be a short delay (a week?) before we actually
> get started.
>
> Anyone interested in helping can watch cello-devel for my cries of
> anguish, and I will likely cross-post to comp.sys.mac.programmer.help.
>
> Should I decide to plop for a new system, anybody want to weigh in on
> the great G5 desktop vs 17" Powerbook question? I /have/ become fond of
> working on a laptop. But how noisy are the suckers? My Dell is pretty
> quiet unless something gets the CPU up to 100% for five seconds, then
> the turbo noise drowns out Slim Shady. I hate fan noise. I see the G5
> claiming low noise thru multiple small fans, plus I can put the desktop
> behind something to muffle the noise. Any experience reports welcome.

My 17" PowerBook is essentially silent unless I do something that pegs
the CPU for a while, and then I can hear it if I try.

Many people think it's too big; I do not, but I am a sucker for a
physically large screen.

If you want OSX and/or OpenMCL help, I can offer a little, in between
all the other projects. I realize OpenMCL wasn't on your list of
potentials, but I like to use it, therefore would like to see Cello
there, even if that means I have to divert effort from other projects.

I'll probably still be slow, though, because of those other projects.
From: Kenny Tilton
mikel wrote:

> Kenny Tilton wrote:
>
> My 17" PowerBook is essentially silent unless I do something that pegs
> the CPU for a while, and then I can hear it if I try.
>
> Many people think it's too big; I do not, but I am a sucker for a
> physically large screen.

Yeah, it is too big, except for developers and others who can never get
enough real estate. I'll also have a 20" CRT as a second monitor, if I
can resist getting a nice big flat panel (unlikely).

> If you want OSX and/or OpenMCL help, I can offer a little, in between
> all the other projects. I realize OpenMCL wasn't on your list of
> potentials, but I like to use it, therefore would like to see Cello
> there, even if that means I have to divert effort from other projects.

Is it much different than MCL? Same FFI and callback scheme at least?
Anyway, thx for the offer, hopefully I'll get up to speed on these
frameworks and fink and all that and be self-sufficient in short order.
But I just remembered another pressing project so it could be a good
couple of weeks before I turn to OS X.

kenny

From: mikel
Kenny Tilton wrote:

> mikel wrote:
>
>> Kenny Tilton wrote:
>>
>> My 17" PowerBook is essentially silent unless I do something that pegs
>> the CPU for a while, and then I can hear it if I try.
>>
>> Many people think it's too big; I do not, but I am a sucker for a
>> physically large screen.
>

> Yeah, it is too big, except for developers and others who can never get
> enough real estate. I'll also have a 20" CRT as a second monitor, if I
> can resist getting a nice big flat panel (unlikely).
>

>> If you want OSX and/or OpenMCL help, I can offer a little, in between
>> all the other projects. I realize OpenMCL wasn't on your list of
>> potentials, but I like to use it, therefore would like to see Cello
>> there, even if that means I have to divert effort from other projects.
>

> Is it much different than MCL?

Yes. It's a fork from the source code of a few years ago, and has
evolved significantly since the fork.

> Same FFI and callback scheme at least?

I think not, but I'll have to check to be sure.

> Anyway, thx for the offer, hopefully I'll get up to speed on these
> frameworks and fink and all that and be self-sufficient in short order.
> But I just remembered another pressing project so it could be a good
> couple of weeks before I turn to OS X.

I have plenty to keep me busy :-). But I'm pretty interested in seeing
Cello on OpenMCL and OSX, so I'll make as much time to help as I can.