From: Edi Weitz
Subject: ASDF and Corman Lisp
I've struggled a bit with Corman Lisp to enable it to use ASDF. The
results are here:

  <http://weitz.de/corman-asdf/>

I'd be interested in feedback from CCL users.

Cheers,
Edi.

From: Marco Antoniotti
Subject: Re: ASDF and Corman Lisp
Looks like your patches are completely independent of ASDF.  Is that the
case?

Cheers

Marco

From: Edi Weitz
On Thu, 06 May 2004 15:30:31 -0400, Marco Antoniotti <·······@cs.nyu.edu> wrote:

> Looks like your patches are completely independent of ASDF.  Is that
> the case?

Almost. I had to send two patches to CCLAN to effectively disable file
compilation for Corman Lisp (and fight with Christophe Rhodes who
insisted on #+:broken-fasl-loader instead of #+:cormanlisp ...:)

The problem is that CCL's FASL loader is broken, see the fourth bullet
point at

  <http://weitz.de/corman-asdf/#patch>

But this is not as bad as it seems because Corman Lisp compiles on the
fly (like SBCL or MCL).

These patches are only meant to be workarounds until CCL itself is
ANSI-compliant enough to work with ASDF out-of-the-box, of course.

Cheers,
Edi.
From: Christophe Rhodes
Edi Weitz <···@agharta.de> writes:

> On Thu, 06 May 2004 15:30:31 -0400, Marco Antoniotti <·······@cs.nyu.edu> wrote:
>
>> Looks like your patches are completely independent of ASDF.  Is that
>> the case?
>
> Almost. I had to send two patches to CCLAN to effectively disable file
> compilation for Corman Lisp (and fight with Christophe Rhodes who
> insisted on #+:broken-fasl-loader instead of #+:cormanlisp ...:)

Just in case anyone is sufficiently interested: the insistence on
:broken-fasl-loader rather than :cormanlisp is because I do not want,
$n$ years down the line, for whoever has to investigate asdf.lisp for
whatever reason to be in any doubt about this workaround.
<http://www-jcsu.jesus.cam.ac.uk/~csr21/features.pdf> has my thoughts
on the subject.

Christophe
From: Edi Weitz
On Thu, 06 May 2004 20:49:10 +0100, Christophe Rhodes <·····@cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> Just in case anyone is sufficiently interested: the insistence on
> :broken-fasl-loader rather than :cormanlisp is because I do not
> want, $n$ years down the line, for whoever has to investigate
> asdf.lisp for whatever reason to be in any doubt about this
> workaround.  <http://www-jcsu.jesus.cam.ac.uk/~csr21/features.pdf>
> has my thoughts on the subject.

And if that wasn't clear: I completely agree with Christophe. My first
patch was just not well thought-out.

Edi.
From: John Thingstad
Thany you for your efforts.
I have been looking for something like this for a long time.''

John