From: Thomas F. Burdick
Subject: Timestamps, ISO-8601, local-time, help!
I noticed recently that time is all screwed up in an application of
mine.  Figures, I knew it was a tarpit, and didn't pay much attention
(my app not being especially time-intensive).

My first thought was Erik Naggum's Long, Painful History of Time.
Then, I figured that by now someone must have a good solution.
Googling around a bit, now I'm not so sure.  Dan Barlow didn't get a
great response to this post:

   http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=87wue82mkz.fsf%40noetbook.telent.net

I guess I'll ask the same question he did: what do you use?  Maybe
nobody but Erik uses a system good enough that they're willing to talk
about it.  Anyone know if he ever released his code?

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |

From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
Subject: Re: Timestamps, ISO-8601, local-time, help!
+ ···@famine.OCF.Berkeley.EDU (Thomas F. Burdick):

| My first thought was Erik Naggum's Long, Painful History of Time.
| [...]  Anyone know if he ever released his code?

Why don't you ask him?  He's alive and, I presume, well.  (I almost
asked him myself once or twice, but didn't have sufficient need to
justify bothering him with it.)

- Debating gives most of us much more psychological satisfaction
  than thinking does: but it deprives us of whatever chance there is
  of getting closer to the truth.  -- C.P. Snow
From: Thomas F. Burdick
Harald Hanche-Olsen <······@math.ntnu.no> writes:

> + ···@famine.OCF.Berkeley.EDU (Thomas F. Burdick):
>
> | My first thought was Erik Naggum's Long, Painful History of Time.
> | [...]  Anyone know if he ever released his code?
>
> Why don't you ask him?  He's alive and, I presume, well.  (I almost
> asked him myself once or twice, but didn't have sufficient need to
> justify bothering him with it.)

I asked myself the same thing 30 seconds later, and did, actually.

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |
From: Marcus Pearce
On Wed, 4 May 2004, Thomas F. Burdick wrote:

> Harald Hanche-Olsen <······@math.ntnu.no> writes:
>
> > + ···@famine.OCF.Berkeley.EDU (Thomas F. Burdick):
> >
> > | My first thought was Erik Naggum's Long, Painful History of Time.
> > | [...]  Anyone know if he ever released his code?
> >
> > Why don't you ask him?  He's alive and, I presume, well.  (I almost
> > asked him myself once or twice, but didn't have sufficient need to
> > justify bothering him with it.)
>
> I asked myself the same thing 30 seconds later, and did, actually.

What was the response?

CLSQL (http://clsql.b9.com) has inherited a package from UncommonSQL for
dealing with dates and times which was developed by the folks (formerly)
at Onshored and based, I believe, on Erik Naggums paper. The code, which
works as a standalone file, is available here:

          http://svn.b9.com/svn/clsql/base/time.lisp

At some point, it might be worth tidying the code up, asdf packaging it
and setting it up as an independent project (e.g., on common-lisp.net).

Cheers,
Marcus
From: Carl Shapiro
Marcus Pearce <·····@soi.city.ac.uk> writes:

> CLSQL (http://clsql.b9.com) has inherited a package from UncommonSQL for
> dealing with dates and times which was developed by the folks (formerly)
> at Onshored and based, I believe, on Erik Naggums paper. The code, which
> works as a standalone file, is available here:

I think you should do some hard research on Google Groups
investigating the purported implementation of Erik's LOCAL-TIME
interface in UncommonSQL.
From: Christophe Rhodes
Carl Shapiro <·············@panix.com> writes:

> Marcus Pearce <·····@soi.city.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> CLSQL (http://clsql.b9.com) has inherited a package from UncommonSQL for
>> dealing with dates and times which was developed by the folks (formerly)
>> at Onshored and based, I believe, on Erik Naggums paper. The code, which
>> works as a standalone file, is available here:
>
> I think you should do some hard research on Google Groups
> investigating the purported implementation of Erik's LOCAL-TIME
> interface in UncommonSQL.

It looks to me from the history that, irrespective of Erik's feelings
about the quality or otherwise of the onShored "gammelost-time"
implementation, it was nevertheless based on Erik's paper, by the
history discussed in the thread starting with
  <·················@eurocom.od.ua>

Was this the research you were alluding to, or was there something
else?

Christophe
From: Dmitri Ivanov
Hello Christophe,
"Christophe Rhodes" <·····@cam.ac.uk> wrote:

CR> >> CLSQL (http://clsql.b9.com) has inherited a package from
CR> >> UncommonSQL for dealing with dates and times which was developed
CR> >> by the folks (formerly) at Onshored and based, I believe, on
CR> >> Erik Naggums paper. The code, which works as a standalone file,
CR> >> is available here:
CR>
CR> It looks to me from the history that, irrespective of Erik's
CR> feelings about the quality or otherwise of the onShored
CR> "gammelost-time" implementation, it was nevertheless based on
CR> Erik's paper, by the history discussed in the thread starting with

I did agree with Erik about its quality and spawned a project of my own more
than a year ago. The rewrite and add-ins are available as a part of YstokSQL at:

http://lisp.ystok.ru/ysql.html

Questions and comments are welcome.
--
Sincerely,