From: Martin Raspaud
Subject: 2 lisp sessions in Emacs
Hi all,

Is there a way to open two lisp sessions in an emacs ? So that I could
let some things process while I go on developping ?

Martin

From: David Sletten
Subject: Re: 2 lisp sessions in Emacs
Martin Raspaud wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Is there a way to open two lisp sessions in an emacs ? So that I could
> let some things process while I go on developping ?
>
> Martin

A simple solution is to open a shell buffer (M-x shell) and run Lisp
there. Then run an *inferior-lisp*: M-x run-lisp
From: John Thingstad
No.
But most implementations support threads.
I suggest you use those.

P� Mon, 03 May 2004 11:07:53 +0200, skrev Martin Raspaud

--
Sender med M2, Operas revolusjonerende e-postprogram: http://www.opera.com/
From: Luke Gorrie
Martin Raspaud <········@labri.fr> writes:

> Is there a way to open two lisp sessions in an emacs ? So that I could
> let some things process while I go on developping ?

This depends on what Emacs mode you are running.

I think that with inf-lisp and ILISP it is sufficient to rename the
*inferior-lisp* buffer to something else and then start a new
Lisp. Commands in Lisp buffers will go to the new connection. There
may be gotchas that I don't know about.

`M-x describe-variable RET inferior-lisp-buffer' has more details.

With SLIME you just give a prefix argument - `C-u M-x slime'. It will
then offer to create an additional session for you. You can also get a
buffer listing all sessions with `C-c C-x c'. From there you can pop
up the top-level for a particular session and also select which
session should handle commands in lisp-mode buffers.

That SLIME feature is currently undocumented but it's been around for
a while and works well in my experience.

Cheers,
Luke