From: Russell Wallace
Subject: Macros vs quoted arguments?
Suppose there were a way for a function to take its argument list as a
literal parameter (and perhaps also the caller's environment), so that
given the call (F A B C) the variable ARGS would be bound to (A B C)
and ENV to the caller's environment. It seems to me this would be an
alternative way of doing what macros do - am I missing anything?

--
"Sore wa himitsu desu."
To reply by email, remove

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Macros vs quoted arguments?
In article <··················@news.eircom.net>,
 ················@eircom.net (Russell Wallace) wrote:

> Suppose there were a way for a function to take its argument list as a
> literal parameter (and perhaps also the caller's environment), so that
> given the call (F A B C) the variable ARGS would be bound to (A B C)
> and ENV to the caller's environment. It seems to me this would be an
> alternative way of doing what macros do - am I missing anything?

It would require run-time calls to EVAL, which would be significant
overhead.  With macros, the expansion can be compiled.

--
Barry Margolin, ······@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <··················@news.eircom.net>,
 ················@eircom.net (Russell Wallace) wrote:

> Suppose there were a way for a function to take its argument list as a
> literal parameter (and perhaps also the caller's environment), so that
> given the call (F A B C) the variable ARGS would be bound to (A B C)
> and ENV to the caller's environment. It seems to me this would be an
> alternative way of doing what macros do - am I missing anything?

Lisp history perhaps?

Read about FEXPRs, LEXPRs, NLAMBDAs, ... in your favorite Lisp
history book.
From: Rahul Jain
Rainer Joswig <······@lispmachine.de> writes:

> In article <··················@news.eircom.net>,
>  ················@eircom.net (Russell Wallace) wrote:
>
>> Suppose there were a way for a function to take its argument list as a
>> literal parameter (and perhaps also the caller's environment), so that
>> given the call (F A B C) the variable ARGS would be bound to (A B C)
>> and ENV to the caller's environment. It seems to me this would be an
>> alternative way of doing what macros do - am I missing anything?
>
> Lisp history perhaps?
>
> Read about FEXPRs, LEXPRs, NLAMBDAs, ... in your favorite Lisp
> history book.

Let's hope his mind (and stomach) are strong enough to take this
information. Then again, he's already started down that path, so maybe
it's better he sees how convoluted those systems ended up being.

http://www.nhplace.com/kent/Papers/Special-Forms.html

Then again, what he's describing is exactly how a macro is called. He
just doesn't make that ever-so-critical distinction of times. (And the
extra flexibility in destructuring and being able to choose your lambda
variables that a macro lambda list offers.)

--
Rahul Jain
·····@nyct.net
From: Russell Wallace
On Sun, 02 May 2004 16:31:20 GMT, Rahul Jain <·····@nyct.net> wrote:

>Let's hope his mind (and stomach) are strong enough to take this
>information. Then again, he's already started down that path, so maybe
>it's better he sees how convoluted those systems ended up being.
>
>http://www.nhplace.com/kent/Papers/Special-Forms.html

Ah, good article thanks!