From: Matthew
Subject: SLIME won't work right
Hi, I have set up SLIME with emacs, but when I do M-x slime it has an
error:

(load "/Users/matthew/slime/swank-loader")
(swank:start-server "/tmp/slime.1148")
  i i i i i i i       ooooo    o        ooooooo   ooooo   ooooo
  I I I I I I I      8     8   8           8     8     o  8    8
  I  \ `+' /  I      8         8           8     8        8    8
   \  `-+-'  /       8         8           8      ooooo   8oooo
    `-__|__-'        8         8           8           8  8
        |            8     o   8           8     o     8  8
  ------+------       ooooo    8oooooo  ooo8ooo   ooooo   8

Copyright (c) Bruno Haible, Michael Stoll 1992, 1993
Copyright (c) Bruno Haible, Marcus Daniels 1994-1997
Copyright (c) Bruno Haible, Pierpaolo Bernardi, Sam Steingold 1998
Copyright (c) Bruno Haible, Sam Steingold 1999-2002

*** - READ: input stream
#<INPUT BUFFERED FILE-STREAM CHARACTER
  #P"/Users/matthew/slime/fasl/clisp-2.29/swank-backend.fas" @1150>
ends within an object. Last opening parenthesis probably in line 1149.
1. Break SWANK-BACKEND[2]>

However, the first few times I did it it gave me an error while
compiling a file, i think it was swank-loader.lisp. When I try to
compile it again it gives me the error

*** - DEFSTRUCT: invalid syntax for name and options: (:LOCATION
(:TYPE LIST) :NAMED (:CONSTRUCTOR MAKE-LOCATION (BUFFER POSITION)))

 I am new to lisp and emacs so i wasn't sure what it meant.

I am running Mac OS X 10.3.

Thanks for your help.

From: Helmut Eller
Subject: Re: SLIME won't work right
········@nessiness.com (Matthew) writes:

> Hi, I have set up SLIME with emacs, but when I do M-x slime it has an
> error:
[snip]

CLISP 2.29 is too old for SLIME.  You need 2.32 or newer.

> *** - DEFSTRUCT: invalid syntax for name and options: (:LOCATION
> (:TYPE LIST) :NAMED (:CONSTRUCTOR MAKE-LOCATION (BUFFER POSITION)))

We use  (defstruct (:location (:type list)) ...)  and CLISP 2.29
doesn't like the keyword as name.

Helmut.
From: Marco Antoniotti
Helmut Eller wrote:

> ········@nessiness.com (Matthew) writes:
>

>>Hi, I have set up SLIME with emacs, but when I do M-x slime it has an
>>error:
>
> [snip]

> CLISP 2.29 is too old for SLIME.  You need 2.32 or newer.
>

>>*** - DEFSTRUCT: invalid syntax for name and options: (:LOCATION
>>(:TYPE LIST) :NAMED (:CONSTRUCTOR MAKE-LOCATION (BUFFER POSITION)))
>

> We use  (defstruct (:location (:type list)) ...)  and CLISP 2.29
> doesn't like the keyword as name.

Well, why do you want to use a keyword to denote a type in the first
place?  DESFSTRUCT is not like DEFPACKAGE which essentially wants a
string designator.  DEFSTRUCT creates a type in the type hierarchy and
as such it seems to me it'd be more appropropriate to package it correctly.

Cheers
--

Marco
From: Helmut Eller

The important bit is this --------^^^^^

> Well, why do you want to use a keyword to denote a type in the first
> place?  DESFSTRUCT is not like DEFPACKAGE which essentially wants a
> string designator.  DEFSTRUCT creates a type in the type hierarchy and
> as such it seems to me it'd be more appropropriate to package it
> correctly.

Because I want to declare the accessors of a structure and represented
it as a _list_ with the symbol :location in the first position.  We
send source-locations of various stuff to Emacs and represent them as
lists because lists are easy to parse and manipulate for Emacs.  We use
keywords to avoid any package headaches (Emacs Lisp doesn't have
packages).

Helmut.
From: Marco Antoniotti
Helmut Eller wrote:
> Marco Antoniotti <·······@cs.nyu.edu> writes:
>

>>Helmut Eller wrote:
>>
>>>We use  (defstruct (:location (:type list)) ...)  and CLISP 2.29
>

> The important bit is this --------^^^^^
>

>>Well, why do you want to use a keyword to denote a type in the first
>>place?  DESFSTRUCT is not like DEFPACKAGE which essentially wants a
>>string designator.  DEFSTRUCT creates a type in the type hierarchy and
>>as such it seems to me it'd be more appropropriate to package it
>>correctly.
>

> Because I want to declare the accessors of a structure and represented
> it as a _list_ with the symbol :location in the first position.  We
> send source-locations of various stuff to Emacs and represent them as
> lists because lists are easy to parse and manipulate for Emacs.  We use
> keywords to avoid any package headaches (Emacs Lisp doesn't have
> packages).

Ok. Sorry.  I missed the (:type list) bit.

Cheers

Marco