From: Jeffrey Keil
Subject: Network Socket programming
Greetings:

Is there a book or document that has details on network programming
with sockets in Lisp?

Sincerely,
Jeff Keil

From: Christopher C. Stacy
Subject: Re: Network Socket programming
 jeffrey> Is there a book or document that has details on
 Jeffrey> network programming with sockets in Lisp?

Googling "lisp sockets" finds a number of likely hits on the first page.
First is a reference to the Allegro Common Lisp XML-RPC feature where
it says that it's based on their socket library. (Which suggests that
looking around some more, perhaps on the on the Franz web site, would
likely find you information about their sockets API.)  The second hit
is an entry for "The Common Lisp Cookbook - Sockets", which appears
to give examples of how to do sockets on some other implementation(s)
of Lisp.  Next up comes several hits for sockets in Corman Lisp, which
also look like they have code examples.  Then there is a hit entitled,
"How can I have two Lisp processes communicate via unix sockets",
which points to www.faqs.org.   There are approximately 19,000 other
English langage pages returned for this query, but those ought to
get you started.

So I think the answer is: Yes, there are!
 Have you heard of this thing called the web?
It has these "search engine" thingies which are amazingly useful!
From: John Thingstad
Subject: Re: First entries in lisp book available.
Fixed the hangman link so you can now load hangman.dict and hangman.index
into a text buffer in your browser. With a slow connection it might take
some time. The hangman dictionary is derived from a english ispell
dictionary
and has 32000 words!
To speed things up it uses hangman.index.
It works by recording 100 equispaced positions within the file (to the
nearest word).
The hangman program then computes the right index into the file
then it uses file-position to go there and reads word by word
until it get's to the right word.
This sped up acess time (compared to reading line by line) from 20 seconds
to approx 0.2 sec. Though I suppose more efficient schemes are possible
this
seems sufficient so I left it at that.

--
Sender med M2, Operas revolusjonerende e-postprogram: http://www.opera.com/
From: Fred Gilham
John Thingstad wrote:
> Fixed the hangman link so you can now load hangman.dict and
> hangman.index into a text buffer in your browser. With a slow
> connection it might take some time. The hangman dictionary is
> derived from a english ispell dictionary and has 32000 words!

John,

Don't be afraid to re-post the link for your stuff. :-)

--
Fred Gilham                                   ······@csl.sri.com
Lisp has jokingly been called "the most intelligent way to misuse a