From: Kelvin Klein
Subject: What program do you use for visualization of C/C++ program?
Is there a visualization tool for C program out there?
Is there a visualization tool for the language of one of the crossposted
newsgroup out there? I am a refuge from comp.lang.c, kicked out
without being told where to go. I am sure one of the kind souls
would be glad to help. The original message below was written
for C but I am now going to look at any visualisation tool.

What I mean is, anything to visualize C programs or pictorially
diagram them would be different from that for C++ albeit C being
subset of C++ mean what works for C++ works for C.

It should be an understanding tool, not a flow chart. Flow charts
are hosts for goto, thus universally disliked.

Program for structure or C program more than a trivial call tree?

And even any call tree program that is free might be a good starting
point. Beggars can't be choosers.

Is there a newsgroup devoted to UML?

Kathy and Kelvin Klein

From: Jem Berkes
> What I mean is, anything to visualize C programs or pictorially
> diagram them would be different from that for C++ albeit C being
> subset of C++ mean what works for C++ works for C.

I don't mean to be funny here, but honestly: pencil and paper.

C is procedural (no object oriented stuff) and I have had good success just
by writing out what I want to accomplish in pseudo-code, which turns quite
easily into C code with function calls and such.

--
Jem Berkes
http://www.sysdesign.ca/
From: Programmer Dude
Jem Berkes wrote:

> I don't mean to be funny here, but honestly: pencil and paper.

Actually, I'll provide a strong second.  Cheap, lightweight, goes
anywhere, no external power requirements, works in almost any
condition, can handle any "graphics format", can handle color and
many levels and brush styles of shading and even has a very simple,
easy-to-learn UI (even infants have mastered this UI, although,
generally speaking, few have the skill to interpret their work! :-).

All my programs end as listings, which quickly become scrap paper.

All my programs begin as doodles, diagrams and charts on the "bones"
of old programs.

The circle of programming life!  (-:

--
|_ CJSonnack <·····@Sonnack.com> _____________| How's my programming? |
|_ http://www.Sonnack.com/ ___________________| Call: 1-800-DEV-NULL  |
From: John Thingstad

From: Programmer Dude
Kelvin Klein wrote:

> Flow charts are hosts for goto, thus universally disliked.

That's not necessarily true.  *Implementing* a flowchart does not
require gotos--that's the whole point of Structured Programming.

> Program for structure or C program more than a trivial call tree?

What exactly do you want to see in addition to that call tree?

For one version of 'how things can be', see if you can check out
someone's version of MS VC++.  It has a number of analytical and
code browsing tools.  E.g. you can view the callers of a function,
you can view the functions called BY a function, you can view a
list of all places a given symbol is references, etc.

Some people really like a freeware thing, called Doxygen.  I tried
it and didn't care for it.  It'd be worth looking into.  It meets
your free requirement.