From: Brian
Subject: CLM and CMUCL setup
hey

I am trying to get CLM to be setup with CMUCL, i installed both of the Rpms.

I tried to follow the example in the manual.
i opened lisp on the cmd prompt.

then i typed (compile-file "v.ins")
and that seemed to work ok

then i typed (load "v")

and it said FM_VIOLIN is UNBOUND VARIABLE error

am i missing something here?

i am new to both CLM and lisp on linux
thanks for your help

From: Kenny Tilton
Subject: Re: CLM and CMUCL setup
Brian wrote:

> hey
>
> I am trying to get CLM to be setup with CMUCL, i installed both of the Rpms.
>
> I tried to follow the example in the manual.
> i opened lisp on the cmd prompt.
>

> then i typed (compile-file "v.ins")
> and that seemed to work ok
>
> then i typed (load "v")
>
> and it said FM_VIOLIN is UNBOUND VARIABLE error
>
> am i missing something here?

are you sitting in :cl-user? The CM/CLM stuff cocks things up pretty
badly in re packages. it just falls into the latest (in-package ...) as
if that were a bright idea.

The good news is that if you hike over to the CM mailing list:

... Rick Taube himself is all over any install problems. His book is due
out soon and he wants the accompanying CD to be a painless install.

If that does not work ping me by e-mail and I'll put you in touch with a
local Linux God who I think has CM/CLM humming.

kt

--
Home? http://tilton-technology.com
Cells? http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/
From: Bob Coyne
Brian wrote:

>hey
>
>I am trying to get CLM to be setup with CMUCL, i installed both of the Rpms.
>
>I tried to follow the example in the manual.
>i opened lisp on the cmd prompt.
>

>then i typed (compile-file "v.ins")
>and that seemed to work ok
>
>then i typed (load "v")
>
>and it said FM_VIOLIN is UNBOUND VARIABLE error

You have to load the ".cmucl" file instead which in turn
will load the ".so" file and the compiled lisp binary.

(load "v.cmucl")
From: Brian
Bob Coyne <········@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:<······················@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...

thanks, the load works fine now,
but when i try to do a (with-sound () (fm-violin 0 1 440 .1))... this happens
any ideas?

* (with-sound () (fm-violin 0 1 440 .1))

Type-error in KERNEL::OBJECT-NOT-TYPE-ERROR-HANDLER:
   -1087315960 is not of type (UNSIGNED-BYTE 32)
   [Condition of type TYPE-ERROR]
From: Bob Coyne
Brian wrote:

>Bob Coyne <········@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:<······················@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...
>

>thanks, the load works fine now,
>but when i try to do a (with-sound () (fm-violin 0 1 440 .1))... this happens
>any ideas?
>
>* (with-sound () (fm-violin 0 1 440 .1))
>
>Type-error in KERNEL::OBJECT-NOT-TYPE-ERROR-HANDLER:
>   -1087315960 is not of type (UNSIGNED-BYTE 32)
>   [Condition of type TYPE-ERROR]

I had similar problems playing a couple instruments (bow in strad.ins was
one) and reported the problem on the clm mailing list.  I don't remember
if fm-violin was one of them or not.  The problem was supposedly fixed
(it was related to a cmucl vs acl difference) but I never got around to
downloading/trying it again.  Anyway, you might try reporting the error
on the
clm mailing list -- it might be another cmucl-related problem.