From: Pascal Costanza
Subject: "Lisp and Java"
There is an article that mentions Lisp at one of the O'Reilly websites
at http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2004/03/24/lisp.html

The contents are only mildly interesting, but I still thought this might
be of interest to some.

Pascal

--
1st European Lisp and Scheme Workshop
June 13 - Oslo, Norway - co-located with ECOOP 2004

From: Kenny Tilton
Subject: Re: "Lisp and Java"
Pascal Costanza wrote:

> There is an article that mentions Lisp at one of the O'Reilly websites
> at http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2004/03/24/lisp.html

Nice catch. O'Reilly does Lisp? Game over.

kt

--
Home? http://tilton-technology.com
Cells? http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/
From: Edi Weitz
On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 15:30:52 +0100, Pascal Costanza <········@web.de> wrote:

> There is an article that mentions Lisp at one of the O'Reilly
> websites at http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2004/03/24/lisp.html
>
> The contents are only mildly interesting, but I still thought this
> might be of interest to some.

At least it has two good quotes:

1. "In this article, we're going to steal an idea from one of the most
    theft-worthy languages out there: Lisp."

2. "Lisp has a long and complex history, with enough brilliant
    innovations, bitter rivalries, and failed startups to keep a team
    of historians in tenure."

Edi.
From: Stefan Scholl
On 2004-03-25 15:30:52, Pascal Costanza wrote:

> There is an article that mentions Lisp at one of the O'Reilly websites
> at http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2004/03/24/lisp.html

It shows how to simulate some features you get when your language
has first class functions.

I doubt many Java programmers will read the article. It has "Lisp"
in its title. :-(
From: Tomek Lipski
Stefan Scholl wrote:

> On 2004-03-25 15:30:52, Pascal Costanza wrote:
>

>>There is an article that mentions Lisp at one of the O'Reilly websites
>>at http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2004/03/24/lisp.html
>

> It shows how to simulate some features you get when your language
> has first class functions.
>
> I doubt many Java programmers will read the article. It has "Lisp"
> in its title. :-(

 From my little Java experience i think this article not really useful -
the examples do nothing revolutionary for me, and big part of the code
is used for exception handling.

Article on using java.lang.reflect could be far more interesting (and
maybe more 'lisp'), so it is maybe better that many Java programmers
will read it.

Best regards,

Tomek Lipski
From: David Steuber
Pascal Costanza <········@web.de> writes:

> There is an article that mentions Lisp at one of the O'Reilly websites
> at http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2004/03/24/lisp.html
>
> The contents are only mildly interesting, but I still thought this
> might be of interest to some.

I wonder how many people in the Java community remember the C stdlib
sort() function and the little fact that it takes a function pointer
as an argument.

It's kind of amusing to see a Java article stealing an idea from
Lisp, like it is a new thing to do, on something that has been doable
in C and C++ before Java was even born.

--
It would not be too unfair to any language to refer to Java as a
stripped down Lisp or Smalltalk with a C syntax.