From: Manuel Serrano
Subject: skribe1.1a
Skribe1.1a is available at:

         http://www.inria.fr/mimosa/fp/Skribe

Skribe is a text processor. Even if it is a general purpose tool, it
best suits the writing of technical documents such as web pages or
technical reports, API documentations, etc. At first glance, Skribe
looks like a mark-up language � la HTML. So, there is no need to be
provided with computer programming skills in order to use Skribe.

A second look reveals that Skribe is actually a true programming
language, provided with high level features (such as objects, higher
order functions, regular and syntactic parsing, etc.).

Skribe is based on the Scheme programming language. It extends Scheme
in three directions:

  1. An extensive library for representing and handling texts.
  2. A additional syntactic construction that enables compact source files.
  3. An evaluation model that suits text processing.

 From Skribe source files it is possible to produce various targets:

  . HTML pages that can be used to implement a web site.
  . LaTeX files that can be used to produce high quality Postscript or
    PDF files.
  . Slides.

Several Skribe examples are available:

  . The Skribe home page (http://www.inria.fr/mimosa/fp/Skribe) and Bigloo
    home page (http://www.inria.fr/mimosa/fp/Bigloo) illustrate
    the Skribe skills for web page production.
  . The Skribe home
(http://www.inria.fr/mimosa/fp/Skribe/doc/user/user.html)
    page illustrates the Skribe skills for technical documentations..

The Skribe distribution contains various other examples.

*** Release 1.1a is a major release. The highlights of this version are:

   * Better LaTeX code generation.

   * Better HTML code generation.

   * New styles.

   * The documentation covers larger parts of the system.

   * Support for contributions.

From: Ian Zimmerman
Subject: Re: skribe1.1a
Manuel> Skribe1.1a is available at: http://www.inria.fr/mimosa/fp/Skribe

Manuel> Skribe is a text processor. Even if it is a general purpose
Manuel> tool, it best suits the writing of technical documents such as
Manuel> web pages or technical reports, API documentations, etc. At
Manuel> first glance, Skribe looks like a mark-up language � la
Manuel> HTML. So, there is no need to be provided with computer
Manuel> programming skills in order to use Skribe.

[...]

Manuel> The Skribe home page (http://www.inria.fr/mimosa/fp/Skribe)
Manuel> and Bigloo home page (http://www.inria.fr/mimosa/fp/Bigloo)

Can it be used on top of Scheme implementations other than Bigloo?

--
Nothing can be explained to a stone.
Or to a stoned person, either.
From: Manuel Serrano
Ian Zimmerman wrote:
> Manuel> Skribe1.1a is available at: http://www.inria.fr/mimosa/fp/Skribe
>
> Manuel> Skribe is a text processor. Even if it is a general purpose
> Manuel> tool, it best suits the writing of technical documents such as
> Manuel> web pages or technical reports, API documentations, etc. At
> Manuel> first glance, Skribe looks like a mark-up language � la
> Manuel> HTML. So, there is no need to be provided with computer
> Manuel> programming skills in order to use Skribe.
>
> [...]
>
> Manuel> The Skribe home page (http://www.inria.fr/mimosa/fp/Skribe)
> Manuel> and Bigloo home page (http://www.inria.fr/mimosa/fp/Bigloo)
>
> Can it be used on top of Scheme implementations other than Bigloo?
Yes, definitively, it does.

The current Skribe distribution can be
used with Bigloo *and* STKlos. Skribe has been implemented with
portability in mind. Normally it should not be hard to port it to a
third or fourth Scheme.

--
Manuel
From: bogus address
>>> The Skribe home page (http://www.inria.fr/mimosa/fp/Skribe)
>>> and Bigloo home page (http://www.inria.fr/mimosa/fp/Bigloo)
>> Can it be used on top of Scheme implementations other than Bigloo?
> Yes, definitively, it does.
>
> The current Skribe distribution can be
> used with Bigloo *and* STKlos. Skribe has been implemented with
> portability in mind. Normally it should not be hard to port it to a
> third or fourth Scheme.

Does it work on any freeware Scheme for MacOS 9?

*Is* there a freeware Scheme for MacOS 9?  (Gambit doesn't work).

========> Email to "j-c" at this site; email to "bogus" will bounce <========
Jack Campin: 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU; 0131 6604760
<http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/purrhome.html>  food intolerance data & recipes,
Mac logic fonts, Scots traditional music files and CD-ROMs of Scottish music.
From: Kurt Noermark
Skribe is presumably a descendant of the Scribe system.

Could you briefly describe the main similarities and differences between
Skribe and Scribe.

--
Kurt N�rmark                          Phone:        +45 9635 8080
Department of Computer Science        Direct phone: +45 9635 8896
From: Manuel Serrano
Kurt Noermark wrote:
> Skribe is presumably a descendant of the Scribe system.
>
> Could you briefly describe the main similarities and differences between
> Skribe and Scribe.

Hello Kurt,

You are correct. Skribe is the successor of Scribe. Skribe is a
re-design of Scribe. It preserves the same syntax and it is 95% backward
compatible. The
novelties are:
   - Skribe is open while Scribe was rather closed. That is with Skribe:
      . it is straightforward to add new code generators. For
        instance, it is easy to add a new code generator for Docbook, for
        OpenOffice, or even for let's say troff.
      . it is straightforward to customize the existing code
        generators. For instance, you can say, I like the current LaTeX
        code generator for everything but for bold face. You can then
        customize the current LaTeX code generator for changing the code
        generation of bold face with only very few lines of code. Another
        example could be extracted from our HTML code generator.
        With provide two HTML code generators, only one of them produces
        HTML4 code. You could easily adapt it to produce XHTML.

The other differences are in the computation model enforced by Skribe.
In order to do text processing, at some point, you will need
iterations (may be fix point iterations) for solving references. The
way these iterations are executed has been totally re-designed in
Skribe.

--
Manuel
From: Manuel Serrano