From: Jeff Katcher
Subject: [ANN] New tool for integrating Vi with Lisp development
I realize that most people do not and do not intend to use Vi with
their Lisp environments.  Being contrary in nature, and very
comfortable with my editor, I'd like to make a contribution to those
who share my respect for both Lisp and Vi.  For those who don't, I'd
appreciate their lack of comment.

I'd like to announce EVil, the Vi Eval tool.

It consists of two parts:
evilserve - runs a child Lisp of your choice, allowing full normal use
from the command line, but it also listens for connections from:

evil - invoked from Vi via the !} command.  When it is invoked, the
S-expression that one is currently pointing to is sent to Lisp for
evaluation.

Example:
In my .exrc file I have added 'map E !}evil^M'.
I start a lisp instance with evilserve (I've tried CMUCL, SBCL, and
CLISP).
I load my Lisp file into Vi and get to work.
When I make a change to an expression, I cursor to its beginning and
type 'E'.
Zap, that's it.  Anything from the cursor to the end of the expression
is conveyed to Lisp.

Requirements: Vi, a Lisp, and a C compiler.

Availability: There are two small C programs, currently running under
FreeBSD/i386, though they should be portable enough to other Unixes.
Send me mail and I'll send a copy of the source archive.  If there's a
decent place to host it, I'll happily put it there too.

Jeffrey Katcher
·········@yahoo.com

From: Larry Clapp
·········@yahoo.com (Jeff Katcher) wrote in message news:<····························@posting.google.com>...
> I realize that most people do not and do not intend to use Vi with
> their Lisp environments.  Being contrary in nature, and very
> comfortable with my editor, I'd like to make a contribution to those
> who share my respect for both Lisp and Vi.

WooHoo!  Another Vi+Lisp programmer!  :)

> I'd like to announce EVil, the Vi Eval tool.
>
> It consists of two parts:
> evilserve - runs a child Lisp of your choice, allowing full normal use
> from the command line, but it also listens for connections from:
>
> evil - invoked from Vi via the !} command.  When it is invoked, the
> S-expression that one is currently pointing to is sent to Lisp for
> evaluation.
[snip]
> Requirements: Vi, a Lisp, and a C compiler.

Interested users should also check out VILisp, a similar idea, only
specific to Vim, at http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=221
.  Requirements: Vim, a Lisp, Perl, and a couple of Perl modules.

> Availability: There are two small C programs, currently running under
> FreeBSD/i386, though they should be portable enough to other Unixes.
> Send me mail and I'll send a copy of the source archive.  If there's a
> decent place to host it, I'll happily put it there too.

If it works with Vim, you can host it at vim.sourceforge.net.

-- Larry
From: Peter Seibel
······@theclapp.org (Larry Clapp) writes:

> ·········@yahoo.com (Jeff Katcher) wrote in message news:<····························@posting.google.com>...

>> I realize that most people do not and do not intend to use Vi with
>> their Lisp environments. Being contrary in nature, and very
>> comfortable with my editor, I'd like to make a contribution to
>> those who share my respect for both Lisp and Vi.
>
> WooHoo!  Another Vi+Lisp programmer!  :)
>
>> I'd like to announce EVil, the Vi Eval tool.
>>
>> It consists of two parts: evilserve - runs a child Lisp of your
>> choice, allowing full normal use from the command line, but it also
>> listens for connections from:
>>
>> evil - invoked from Vi via the !} command. When it is invoked, the
>> S-expression that one is currently pointing to is sent to Lisp for
>> evaluation.
> [snip]
>> Requirements: Vi, a Lisp, and a C compiler.
>
> Interested users should also check out VILisp, a similar idea, only
> specific to Vim, at http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=221
> .  Requirements: Vim, a Lisp, Perl, and a couple of Perl modules.

Have any of you Vi'ers looked at SLIME. Or rather, SWANK, the CL side
of SLIME. Various folks have started using SWANK as a way to interact
with their Common Lisp from tools other than Emacs and the SLIME
maintainers seem amenable to that kind of usage. I suspect there's a
bunch of stuff there that EVil or VILisp could potentially leverage,
especially if they are already talking over a socket to Common Lisp.
Or if not, you could probably have a small program in the middle that
accepts input from Vi (however that works) and then speaks the SLIME
protocol to the Lisp running a SWANK server. That way you'd get the
benefit of all the work the SLIME guys are doing of porting SWANK to
different CL's.

-Peter

From: Larry Clapp
Peter Seibel <·····@javamonkey.com> wrote in message
> Have any of you Vi'ers looked at SLIME. Or rather, SWANK, the
> CL side of SLIME.

I haven't.  I will.  I didn't know any of that.  Thanks for the tip!

-- Larry
From: Michael Walter
hi,

could you send me the sources?