From: Erann Gat
Subject: Contract job: MySQL interface for MCL and OpenMCL
I'm looking for a contractor (individual or company) to write a MySQL
interface for MCL and OpenMCL on OS X.  (If it also works for OpenMCL
on Linux that would be a valuable bonus, but it's not a requirement.)
The code bases for MCL and OpenMCL need not be the same (and I expect
they wouldn't be) but they must have the same API.  Being able to
connect to other databases as well would be a valuable bonus (i.e. I'd
be willing to pay more for it), but it's not a requirement.

The code must be reasonably efficient for both local and remote DBs.
(Defining "reasonably efficient" will be part of the contract
negotiation, but I'm looking for performance comparable (within a
factor of 2 or so) to the standard DB client.  The approach I'm using
right now is to open a socket to the MySQL client.  For reasons I
don't fully understand, but which seem to be related to how MCL does
its scheduling (it's much faster when the DB is remote than when it's
local), this results in an overhead of 300-800 ms per transaction,
which is aboout two orders of magnitude north of unacceptable.)

In general, I'm looking for speed and simplicity more than I'm looking
for features.  An API that consisted of just (connect host user
password database) and (sql-query connection query-string) and
returned results as lists would be acceptable.  Additional features
like cursors, stored queries, etc. would be valuable additions, but
not required.

Either open source or commercial licensing is OK.  All else being
equal I prefer open source.

If you are interested please email me a brief proposal (emphasis on
brief), including the general approach you'd take (e.g. "I'll port
MaiSQL" or "I'll write it from scratch"), a preliminary API (simply
pointing to an existing API is fine), a rough schedule, LOC and
performance estimate, and your terms.

Please send proposals to ยทยทยท@flownet.com.  Note that this is NOT the
address from which I normally post to this group.  (This solicitation
is not connected to my day job in any way.)  Note also that this
address is heavily spam filtered, so if you send me HTML I probably
won't see it.

P.S. Yes, I know about WOOD.  I've used it.  It's too unreliable for
my needs.