From: larry
Subject: Why I'm giving up on C++ for now
I've been trying to learn C++ but every line is a struggle. I'm going
back to visual basic where everything is easy things just seem to work
the first time.

From: Hannah Schroeter
Subject: Re: Why I'm giving up on C++ for now
Hello!

larry <··········@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I've been trying to learn C++ but every line is a struggle. I'm going
>back to visual basic where everything is easy things just seem to work
>the first time.

Perhaps try something real instead. Like (see the name of this very
newsgroup).

Or Smalltalk, or ML or Haskell.

But... If *every* line is a struggle, perhaps try Logo instead...
Or that simple command language every computer understands (the
power off switch, alternatively the plug).

Kind regards,

Hannah.
From: Stefan Scholl
From: Ari Johnson
Hannah Schroeter wrote:
> Hello!
>
> larry <··········@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I've been trying to learn C++ but every line is a struggle. I'm going
>>back to visual basic where everything is easy things just seem to work
>>the first time.
>

> Perhaps try something real instead. Like (see the name of this very
> newsgroup).

I get the distinct impression you've taken a joke too seriously.

> But... If *every* line is a struggle, perhaps try Logo instead...
> Or that simple command language every computer understands (the
> power off switch, alternatively the plug).

Ah, every programmer's favorite non-maskable interrupt. :)
From: Alex Mizrahi
(message (Hello 'Hannah)
(you :wrote  :on '(Sat, 26 Jun 2004 08:46:03 +0000 (UTC)))
(

 HS> But... If *every* line is a struggle, perhaps try Logo instead...

if you try to write in lisp way - with for_each and lambda stuff not every
line but every char is struggle 8-]
here is an example:

  for(i = min(ROWS,COLS); i <= max(ROWS, COLS); ++i) {

        std::for_each(_theTask.lims[i].begin(), _theTask.lims[i].end(),
            (
                boost::lambda::bind(getline<ifstream::char_type,
                    ifstream::traits_type, string::allocator_type>,
                    var(inputFile), var(inputString), '\n'
                ),
                boost::lambda::bind(&istrstreamPtr::reset,
var(strstreamPtr),
                    boost::lambda::bind(new_ptr<istringstream>(),
var(inputString))
                ),
                boost::lambda::bind(ll::copy(),
                    boost::lambda::bind(constructor<IntIStreamIterator>(),
                        boost::lambda::bind(&istrstreamPtr::operator *,
var(strstreamPtr))
                    ),
                    boost::lambda::bind(constructor<IntIStreamIterator>()),
                    boost::lambda::bind(back_inserter<Limit>,
boost::lambda::_1)
                )
            )
        getline(inputFile, inputString);

}

i don't really understand what's it (it requires deciphering), but this
should read data in such format:

2 3
1 1
2

1
1 1
1

lisp code for this is

(defun read-line-list (stream)
  (let ((str (read-line stream)))
    (with-input-from-string (s str)
      (loop while (listen s)
            collect (read s)))))

(defun loadcwd (filename)
  (with-open-file (s filename)
    (let ((rows (read s))
          (cols (read s)))
      (cons
       (loop repeat rows
             collect (read-line-list s))
       (progn
         (read-line s) ;;empty line
         (loop repeat cols
               collect (read-line-list s)))))))

actually there's more C++ code there - i skipped not so interestion file
opening and preparations..

)
(prin1 "Jane dates only Lisp programmers"))
From: Ulrich Hobelmann
larry wrote:
> I've been trying to learn C++ but every line is a struggle.
like what?

> I'm going
> back to visual basic where everything is easy things just seem to work
> the first time.

Thanks for your insight!  I guess most Lispers didn't know that, but
probably most of us will try that VB stuff out!

BTW, do you know where I can download a free version for Mac OS X?

Ulrich
From: Peter Lewerin
> I've been trying to learn C++ but every line is a struggle. I'm going
> back to visual basic where everything is easy things just seem to work
> the first time.

Dunno, I read the subject line as a quip on the "Why I'm giving up on
Lisp for now" thread.  I, for one, think that giving up C++ for VB is
somewhat analogous to giving up Lisp for Python[1], so I find this a
fairly good "ha ha only serious" joke.  Everybody else seems to be
taking this seriously though; am I missing something?
From: André Thieme
Peter Lewerin schrieb:

>>I've been trying to learn C++ but every line is a struggle. I'm going
>>back to visual basic where everything is easy things just seem to work
>>the first time.
>

> Dunno, I read the subject line as a quip on the "Why I'm giving up on
> Lisp for now" thread.  I, for one, think that giving up C++ for VB is
> somewhat analogous to giving up Lisp for Python[1], so I find this a
> fairly good "ha ha only serious" joke.  Everybody else seems to be
> taking this seriously though; am I missing something?

This is exactly what I thought.
The OP is probably doing a lot, but not giving up on c++.

Andr�