From: Noel Welsh
Subject: Scheme UK Meeting: 23 June 2004
Scheme UK Meeting: 23 June 2004

NB: This meeting is not held on the usual date, in honour
of our special guest

The next meeting of the Scheme UK user's group will be
held on Wednesday, 23 June 2004 from 7pm till we leave
for the pub.  The meeting will take place at the offices
of LShift (see http://www.lshift.net/contact.html for
directions).  This meeting will be held in conjuction
with UK Lispers.

Circuit Design in Lava

Satnam Singh, of Microsoft, will present a circuit design
system called Lava which is embedded in the lazy
functional language Haskell. Lava is a set of higher
order combinators that are used to compose circuits in
interesting ways. Many comnbinators compose behaviour and
layout which gives the designer good control over the
layout of circuits which in turn influences their
performance. We illustrate circuit design in Lava with an
example design and implementation of a sorting network
and (possibly) a live demonstration of the sorting
network running on an FPGA chip. We shall also show how
circuit descriptions cast in Lava enjoy easier
transformation for optimization and verification.

Satnam Singh obtained his BSc in Computing Science at the
University of Glasgow in 1987 and his PhD at the same
department in 1991. As a lecturer in Electrical
Engineering and then in Computing Science at Glasgow he
formed a research group focused on applying functional
programming techniques to the design and analysis of
reconfigurable circuits. In 1998 he joined Xilinx?s
research laboratory in San Jose, California where he
applied functional programming and formal verification
techniques to help solve industrial CAD problems. He has
recently joined Microsoft in Redmond, Washington, where
he continues to peruse his interests in novel
architectures, formal methods and programming languages.

See

  http://www.xilinx.com/labs/lava

for more information

Scheme UK is a UK based group of people interested in the
Scheme programming language in particular, and advanced
programming languages in general.  We are interested in
both practical and theoretic aspects.  We meet on the
first Wednesday of each month.  Newcomers are welcome.

For more details see:

  http://schematics.sourceforge.net/scheme-uk/