From: Paolo Amoroso
Subject: 1st European Lisp and Scheme Workshop: any info or comments?
The 1st European Lisp and Scheme Workshop has taken place a few days
ago.  Any information, comments or first impressions?  Was the
co-location with ECOOP 2004 beneficial?  Any interest from the other
camp?

Paolo

From: Christophe Rhodes
Paolo Amoroso <·······@mclink.it> writes:

> The 1st European Lisp and Scheme Workshop has taken place a few days
> ago.  Any information, comments or first impressions?  Was the
> co-location with ECOOP 2004 beneficial?  Any interest from the other
> camp?

I had fun!  (though Oslo was surprisingly expensive: London may be
more expensive now in the World League Tables, but everything apart
from housing is way more expensive in Oslo :-)

It was good for me to put a few more names to faces, and to meet up
with old aquaintances; and also to talk about my work, both
lisp-related and not.  Whether anyone drew any useful information from
that is a matter on which I don't feel qualified to comment.

There seemed to be a good turnout; at least, there were nine speakers,
and about thirty-five to forty attendees (is that right, Pascal?).
There were benefits to not being part of ECOOP, one of which was
(relative) affordability; the academically-oriented amongst the
speakers might regret the lack of recognised proceedings, though.  The
talks were entertaining, the coffee less so (but the coffee breaks
were nonetheless productive... just a shame about the beverage itself
;-).

I enjoyed the keynote, though I can't help feeling that it was a
little myopic: it demonstrated a deep knowledge of Scheme, and the
perspective of a didact on Common Lisp: that it was impossible to
teach as a "fundamentals of programming" language.  Fair enough, I
suppose, though it would have been nice to hear that CL was useful in
other ways.  The informal polls conducted during the day: most of the
attendees knew Common Lisp; a fair proportion also knew Scheme; there
were only three or four implementors in the room; and everyone uses
LOOP.

I didn't come away with very much that was new from the talks -- my
fault for reading the papers beforehand, I suppose :-).  I felt that
perhaps the flexichain proposal was lacking a metaflexichain protocol;
that the collect variant presented might be tricky to compile
efficiently, being based on variables bound to functions and run-time
dispatch.  I'm also glad not to be involved in e-business; it looks
like a complete time sink, not to mention pain and suffering.  Oh, and
Movitz is neat.

Christophe
From: Espen Vestre
Christophe Rhodes <·····@cam.ac.uk> writes:

> The talks were entertaining, the coffee less so (but the coffee
> breaks were nonetheless productive... just a shame about the
> beverage itself ;-).

AOL.

Yes, the coffee was really terrible, but unfortunately this kind of
coffee is common up here (although mostly a _bit_ better), despite the
fact that norwegians may be world champions in coffee ... in consumed
volume, that is. I buy all my coffee in Sweden, btw:-)
(note to potential Oslo tourists: Most of the modern Italian-/Seattle-
style coffee bars (all over the city) offer excellent coffee)

> that the collect variant presented might be tricky to compile
> efficiently, being based on variables bound to functions and run-time
> dispatch.

Quite happy with loop, I was at first very suspicious, but this
was my favourite talk, I think. It would be very interesting to
investigate how to do compile time optimizations. The 'average'
example clearly illustrated that you possibly generate a lot of
unnecessary consing with this approach, but (without having thought
very hard about it) I suspect that a lot can be done through
optimizations at macro expansion time...?
--
  (espen)
From: Lars Brinkhoff
Espen Vestre <·····@*do-not-spam-me*.vestre.net> writes:
> Christophe Rhodes <·····@cam.ac.uk> writes:
> > The talks were entertaining, the coffee less so (but the coffee
> > breaks were nonetheless productive... just a shame about the
> > beverage itself ;-).
> AOL.  Yes, the coffee was really terrible, but unfortunately this
> kind of coffee is common up here (although mostly a _bit_ better),
> despite the fact that norwegians may be world champions in coffee
> ... in consumed volume, that is.

Almost, but not quite, if these numbers still hold:
http://www.coffeeresearch.org/market/consumption.htm

--
Lars Brinkhoff,         Services for Unix, Linux, GCC, HTTP
Brinkhoff Consulting    http://www.brinkhoff.se/
From: Tayssir John Gabbour
Paolo Amoroso <·······@mclink.it> wrote in message news:<··············@plato.moon.paoloamoroso.it>...
> The 1st European Lisp and Scheme Workshop has taken place a few days
> ago.  Any information, comments or first impressions?

Found some lisp dudes magically in the same room at my hostel; one of
them had recording equipment and I guess we'll see if it turned out
well. I'm sure they're somewhere on the net, with pics of speakers and
the big group pic (aww...). You'll find out soon enough...

I may write up some commentary later; depends on how worthwhile I
think it is.

Big grab bag of stuff, so you're likely to find something which suits
you, and some things you may be less interested in. Robert Strandh's
gap-buffer one was a good display of engineering; the domain itself
didn't interest me so much, but he made an apparently solid defense
for his decision in the face of competing alternatives. Which is so
rarely seen in public, it must be illegal.

The group discussion at the end really interested some and really
annoyed others. It was clear it would either become either political
or technical, and politics won the day. While I didn't have a
preference, it was very appropriate given the backstage of the
workshop.

> Was the co-location with ECOOP 2004 beneficial?

I'm sure for those who went to ECOOP. And its entire reason of
existence is to be an ECOOP workshop, which it may be next eyar.
Partly depends on whether it's too near the Paris ILC's date.

> Any interest from the other camp?

I've heard of some, and apparently some backhanded help by someone
nominally anti-lisp. (Any publicity is good publicity..) But that's
for other people to say; it's not like I attended the ECOOP proper,
though I was in Oslo for longer than I expected.
From: Manuel Odendahl
Hi!

Tayssir John Gabbour wrote:
> Found some lisp dudes magically in the same room at my hostel; one of
> them had recording equipment and I guess we'll see if it turned out
> well. I'm sure they're somewhere on the net, with pics of speakers and
> the big group pic (aww...). You'll find out soon enough...

That was me :) I will upload the recording of the talks next week (I
have recorded the afternoon talks, I somehow managed to mute the mike in
the morning). In the meanwhile, the photo/slides/wiki/schedule server is
up at http://elsw.bl0rg.net/ . The speakers and anybody wanting to
upload files and photos can contact me at ······@bl0rg.net to get a
login (I changed the passwords).

I really enjoyed the weekend in Oslo, it was nice to meet everybody :)

Manuel
From: Tayssir John Gabbour
Manuel Odendahl <······@bl0rg.net> wrote in message news:<············@news2.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de>...
> Tayssir John Gabbour wrote:
> > Found some lisp dudes magically in the same room at my hostel; one of
> > them had recording equipment and I guess we'll see if it turned out
> > well. I'm sure they're somewhere on the net, with pics of speakers and
> > the big group pic (aww...). You'll find out soon enough...
>
> That was me :) I will upload the recording of the talks next week

Thanks, btw. I hope you'll mention any recording tool recommendations;
I think it'll save people some experimentation. Hopefully inexpensive
things suffice for recording a speaker who may be walking around a
bit.
From: John Thingstad
It is my regret that I fell ill and was unable to partisipate.
I would however like a report..