From: Svein Ove Aas
Subject: Cross-platform GUIs, with some issues
To start with, what I'm looking for:

A cross-platform GUI toolkit that also gives me a simple canvas (with GUI
controls around it) to flip pixels on. Thing is, that canvas must have
OpenGL support.

Does such a thing exist?

Alternately, is cl-sdl as cross-platform as SDL itself?
I can write my own mini-gui if I have to; it would be good warmup for the
main project.

From: John Thingstad
Subject: Re: Cross-platform GUIs, with some issues
yes

From: John Thingstad
Yoy might want to look at cliki. ;)

From: ·········@random-state.net
John Thingstad <··············@chello.no> wrote:
> Yoy might want to look at cliki. ;)

> On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 22:58:19 +0200, John Thingstad
> <··············@chello.no> wrote:

>> yes

Um. Not that it's a huge irritation, but could you consider quoting only
the relevant context and bottom-posting? Top-posting makes it hard
to see what you're replying to...

For more on this, see:

 http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/brox.html

Cheers,

 -- Nikodemus                   "Not as clumsy or random as a C++ or Java.
                             An elegant weapon for a more civilized time."
From: Svein Ove Aas
John Thingstad wrote:

> You might want to look at cliki. ;)

I've looked at Cliki, but the library descriptions don't really make it
clear whether they support opengl inlays...

Can't you just give me a name?
From: Kenny Tilton
Svein Ove Aas wrote:
> John Thingstad wrote:
>

>>You might want to look at cliki. ;)
>

> I've looked at Cliki, but the library descriptions don't really make it
> clear whether they support opengl inlays...
>
> Can't you just give me a name?

cl-sdl is fine if you do not mind having just one window.

The new ltk being discussed now in this NG -- well, I googled up a
couple of things with Tk and Opengl, not sure how good they are.

Cello is all OpenGL all the time but is only just getting off the ground
with a few basic widgets and with ports only for (or (and win32 (or
allegrocl lispworks))(and linux Allegrocl)).

McClim (I hear) has OpenGL capabilities.

the commercial product Lispworks does OpenGL inlays off the shelf.

kenny

--
Home? http://tilton-technology.com
Cells? http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/
From: Peter Herth
Kenny Tilton wrote:

> The new ltk being discussed now in this NG -- well, I googled up a
> couple of things with Tk and Opengl, not sure how good they are.

As I read this thread I could not resist googling around and found
several GL extensions to TK. I tried one of them and it worked. How
well it works I cannot say as I have no OpenGL experiences. But if
it is sufficient for the task at hand, building the extensions to
Ltk would be easy. The extension can be found here:
http://perso.club-internet.fr/dropfred/index_en.html

Peter

--
Peter Herth
pet project: http://dawn.netcologne.de
From: Andrew Cristina
On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 02:44:13 +0000, Kenny Tilton wrote:

> cl-sdl is fine if you do not mind having just one window.

I'm sorry if I'm just being an idiot here, but is there any special reason
cl-sdl is limited to one window?  I'm fairly sure SDL itself isn't
limited to one window (although I admit I haven't done any non cl-sdl in
over a year), and I don't remember any comments in cl-sdl to this effect.

Andy
From: Matthew Danish
On Mon, 14 Jun 2004, Andrew Cristina wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 02:44:13 +0000, Kenny Tilton wrote:
>
> > cl-sdl is fine if you do not mind having just one window.
>
> I'm sorry if I'm just being an idiot here, but is there any special reason
> cl-sdl is limited to one window?  I'm fairly sure SDL itself isn't
> limited to one window (although I admit I haven't done any non cl-sdl in
> over a year), and I don't remember any comments in cl-sdl to this effect.

No, this is a limitation of SDL.  SDL 2.0, currently vaporware, is
supposed to support multiple windows.  It is a fairly common request on
sdl-list.
From: Kenny Tilton
Andrew Cristina wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 02:44:13 +0000, Kenny Tilton wrote:
>

>>cl-sdl is fine if you do not mind having just one window.
>

> I'm sorry if I'm just being an idiot here, but is there any special reason
> cl-sdl is limited to one window?  I'm fairly sure SDL itself isn't
> limited to one window

The word from thems that know is that SDL just does one window, and that
a planned (major) new version handling multiple windows, well, is still
just a gleam in the eye.

I just spent some time on the SDL site looking for a confirmation, saw
nothing. As I recall from my brief encounter with cl-sdl/SDL is that the
best indicator of this limitation is that the API never asks you what
window you are talking about, because It Already Knows. :)

kenny

From: Marco Antoniotti
Cello is for you, although YMMV.

Otherwise, shell out some money for Lispworks and do CAPI (especially
for the GL part). Of course, Franz ACL comes with something similar.

Cheers

Marco