From: Bill Clementson
Subject: Lisp Lives! article in Software Development magazine
Just noticed that there is a 2-page article in the latest issue of
Software Development magazine titled "Lisp Lives" which talks very
favorably about Lisp and mentions Franz's involvement at the SD West
2004 conference.

--
Bill Clementson

From: David Steuber
···············@yahoo.com (Bill Clementson) writes:

> Just noticed that there is a 2-page article in the latest issue of
> Software Development magazine titled "Lisp Lives" which talks very
> favorably about Lisp and mentions Franz's involvement at the SD West
> 2004 conference.

The question is this.  Is ANSI Common Lisp (with full MOP and other
nice to have libraries for sockets and threads) the next new, hip
programming language?

--
An ideal world is left as an excercise to the reader.
   --- Paul Graham, On Lisp 8.1
From: Fernando

Any links?

From: William Bland
On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 19:20:48 +0200, Fernando wrote:

> On 9 Jun 2004 09:16:18 -0700, ···············@yahoo.com (Bill Clementson)
> wrote:
>
> Any links?
>
>>Just noticed that there is a 2-page article in the latest issue of
>>Software Development magazine titled "Lisp Lives" which talks very
>>favorably about Lisp and mentions Franz's involvement at the SD West
>>2004 conference.

Link:

http://www.sdmagazine.com/newsletters/devtalk/

You need to register to read it, which is a little annoying, but the
content is great.

Cheers,
	Bill.
--
Dr. William Bland.
It would not be too unfair to any language to refer to Java as a
From: Marco Antoniotti
Is it www.sdmagazine.com?

marco

From: Andrzej Lewandowski
Clementson) wrote:

>Just noticed that there is a 2-page article in the latest issue of
>Software Development magazine titled "Lisp Lives" which talks very
>favorably about Lisp and mentions Franz's involvement at the SD West
>2004 conference.

Och...  My God!!! Really??? Two pages! In a journal!  Hard to
believe! Fantastic!

Much more important and significant than 1243 articles published
last week about C#, Java, C++, VB and such.

A.L.
From: Pascal Costanza
Andrzej Lewandowski wrote:

> On 9 Jun 2004 09:16:18 -0700, ···············@yahoo.com (Bill
> Clementson) wrote:
>
>>Just noticed that there is a 2-page article in the latest issue of
>>Software Development magazine titled "Lisp Lives" which talks very
>>favorably about Lisp and mentions Franz's involvement at the SD West
>>2004 conference.
>
> Och...  My God!!! Really??? Two pages! In a journal!  Hard to
> believe! Fantastic!
>
> Much more important and significant than 1243 articles published
> last week about C#, Java, C++, VB and such.

Why are you focusing on the quantitative aspects of Bill's posting?

Pascal

--
1st European Lisp and Scheme Workshop
June 13 - Oslo, Norway - co-located with ECOOP 2004
From: Kenny Tilton
Pascal Costanza wrote:

> Andrzej Lewandowski wrote:
>
>> On 9 Jun 2004 09:16:18 -0700, ···············@yahoo.com (Bill
>> Clementson) wrote:
>>
>>> Just noticed that there is a 2-page article in the latest issue of
>>> Software Development magazine titled "Lisp Lives" which talks very
>>> favorably about Lisp and mentions Franz's involvement at the SD West
>>> 2004 conference.
>>

>> Och...  My God!!! Really??? Two pages! In a journal!  Hard to
>> believe! Fantastic!
>>
>> Much more important and significant than 1243 articles published
>> last week about C#, Java, C++, VB and such.
>

> Why are you focusing on the quantitative aspects of Bill's posting?

Maybe Demon Kenny is getting soft, but I did not take Andrzej's remark
as ironic. (Can't wait to see how it turns out.) It's pretty much how I
felt when I read the piece a coupla weeks ago (someone else reported
this here already, IIRC). It really is a tremendous breakthru, unless as
I fear Franz wined and dined someone into a write-up. :)

We are seeing Lisp mentioned a lot along the lines of "this new feature
of language XXX is reminiscent of that old, dead language Lisp." In that
light, a story about Lisp being a Tool For Today is a qualitative step
forward.

And it is more interesting ("important and significant") than the flood
of obligatory filler on popular tools.

Unfortunately it reads very much like an advertorial. Hope I'm wrong.

kenny

--
Home? http://tilton-technology.com
Cells? http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/
From: Julian Stecklina

> Unfortunately it reads very much like an advertorial. Hope I'm wrong.

I was at a CL seminar held by some Franz guys early this year. They
told the exact same things that you can read in this article. Go
figure...

Regards,
--
Julian Stecklina

Signed and encrypted mail welcome.
Key-Server: pgp.mit.edu         Key-ID: 0xD65B2AB5
FA38 DCD3 00EC 97B8 6DD8  D7CC 35D8 8D0E D65B 2AB5

Any sufficiently complicated C or Fortran program
contains an ad hoc informally-specified bug-ridden
 - Greenspun's Tenth Rule of Programming
From: Kenny Tilton
Julian Stecklina wrote:
> Kenny Tilton <·······@nyc.rr.com> writes:
>

>>Unfortunately it reads very much like an advertorial. Hope I'm wrong.
>

> I was at a CL seminar held by some Franz guys early this year. They
> told the exact same things that you can read in this article. Go
> figure...

Yes, I recognized a lot of the content myself. OTH, if I were a
journalist immersed in Popular Languages and stumbled across a Lisp
booth I would certainly be thinking "man bites dog" and toss off a
story, which would tend to be a pretty straight recitation of what I was
fed since, hey, I am just looking for a story.

Unless SD has a rep for letting their advertising department run
editorial, I would presume honest reporting in this case. (Subject to
reassessment if AllegroCL appears on full-page ads on both inside covers
over the next six months. <g>)

kenny

From: Bob Bane
Kenny Tilton wrote:

> Unless SD has a rep for letting their advertising department run
> editorial, I would presume honest reporting in this case. (Subject to
> reassessment if AllegroCL appears on full-page ads on both inside covers
> over the next six months. <g>)

The same issue of SD has as its lead editorial an article on how they
strive to avoid the appearance of excessive vendor influence.

Besides, if SD were bribable, the mainstream tool vendors have lots more
money than FranzInc does...

	- Bob
From: Kenny Tilton
Bob Bane wrote:

> Kenny Tilton wrote:
>
>>Unless SD has a rep for letting their advertising department run
>>editorial, I would presume honest reporting in this case. (Subject to
>>reassessment if AllegroCL appears on full-page ads on both inside covers
>>over the next six months. <g>)
>>

> The same issue of SD has as its lead editorial an article on how they
> strive to avoid the appearance of excessive vendor influence.

Super. That's a nice milestone then. Kudos to Franz for staking out some
turf at the conference and landing some positive mainstream coverage.
Our last sound bite was that Wired bit which listed Lisp as a dead
language, IIRC. Nice turnaround.

kenny

From: Andrzej Lewandowski
On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 21:04:12 GMT, Kenny Tilton <·······@nyc.rr.com>
wrote:

>Super. That's a nice milestone then. Kudos to Franz for staking out some
>turf at the conference and landing some positive mainstream coverage.
>Our last sound bite was that Wired bit which listed Lisp as a dead
>language,

Is not?...

A.L.
From: Kenny Tilton
> On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 21:04:12 GMT, Kenny Tilton <·······@nyc.rr.com>
> wrote:
>

>>Super. That's a nice milestone then. Kudos to Franz for staking out some
>>turf at the conference and landing some positive mainstream coverage.

I should have commended the reporter as well.

kenny

From: Rand Sobriquet
Andrzej Lewandowski <·················@oddpost_tego_tez_nie.com> wrote in message news:<··································@4ax.com>...
> On 9 Jun 2004 09:16:18 -0700, ···············@yahoo.com (Bill
> Clementson) wrote:
>
> >Just noticed that there is a 2-page article in the latest issue of
> >Software Development magazine titled "Lisp Lives" which talks very
> >favorably about Lisp and mentions Franz's involvement at the SD West
> >2004 conference.
>
> Och...  My God!!! Really??? Two pages! In a journal!  Hard to
> believe! Fantastic!
>
> Much more important and significant than 1243 articles published
> last week about C#, Java, C++, VB and such.
>
> A.L.

Are you still here?  Do you exist just to post pessimistic articles
about how you are disappointed with using common lisp, vendors, market
size, etc.etc.  Please stop - it's just really boring.  This is one of
the *few* places for lisp programmers to congregate.  If you are not
interested in using lisp then no one is forcing you to use it.  It's
not that I don't appreciate alternative opinions - it's just when it's
so vague, misdirected and insincere - well then, what's the point of
it?
From: Paolo Amoroso
···············@yahoo.com (Bill Clementson) writes:

> Just noticed that there is a 2-page article in the latest issue of
> Software Development magazine titled "Lisp Lives" which talks very

Who wrote it?

Paolo
Recommended Common Lisp libraries/tools (Google for info on each):
- ASDF/ASDF-INSTALL: system building/installation
- CL-PPCRE: regular expressions
- UFFI: Foreign Function Interface
From: Paul Dietz
Paolo Amoroso wrote:

> ···············@yahoo.com (Bill Clementson) writes:
>
> > Just noticed that there is a 2-page article in the latest issue of
> > Software Development magazine titled "Lisp Lives" which talks very
>
> Who wrote it?

Rosalyn Lum.

	Paul