From: Jeff
Subject: common lisp books
I have programmed (as a hobby) in lisp (mostly emacs-lisp) for a
while, although I still consider myself no more than an advanced
beginner. I am interested in reading and learning more about common
lisp. I have found a couple of books online that look good, but I'd be
interested in knowing opinions of others wrt which books are better.

I am looking at:

"Common Lisp: A Gentle Introduction to Symbolic Computation" by David
S. Touretzky
"Successful Lisp: How to Understand and Use Common Lisp" by David B.
Lamkins

Are there others online to which I can refer? I've seen references to
Cltl2 but, I've also seen remarks about it's obsolecence since the
HyperSpec(?) is out.

I'd gratefully appreciate any wisdom and guidance from those more
knowledgable.

Regards,
Jeff

PS please copy me on email when replying to this since I don't have a
good way to monitor this list :-(  Thanks!

From: Svein Ove Aas
Subject: Re: common lisp books
<posted & mailed>

Jeff wrote:

> I am looking at:
>
> "Common Lisp: A Gentle Introduction to Symbolic Computation" by David
> S. Touretzky
> "Successful Lisp: How to Understand and Use Common Lisp" by David B.
> Lamkins
>
> Are there others online to which I can refer? I've seen references to
> Cltl2 but, I've also seen remarks about it's obsolecence since the
> HyperSpec(?) is out.

I learn(ed) mostly from two books:

On Lisp, and Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming.
The latter can be considered an introduction; the former, more of a
macrology cookbook and style guide.

On Lisp (by Paul Graham) is also available online, although you'll want a
paper version to read. Printing it is only practical if someone else is
paying.
From: David Golden
Svein Ove Aas wrote:

> On Lisp (by Paul Graham) is also available online, although you'll want a
> paper version to read. Printing it is only practical if someone else is
> paying.

Speaking of which, is there an update on the rumours of a reprint? I have
been putting off printing a personal copy for a very long time now.
From: David Steuber
David Golden <············@oceanfree.net> writes:

> Svein Ove Aas wrote:
>

> > On Lisp (by Paul Graham) is also available online, although you'll want a
> > paper version to read. Printing it is only practical if someone else is
> > paying.
>
> Speaking of which, is there an update on the rumours of a reprint? I have
> been putting off printing a personal copy for a very long time now.

I wonder if I should be taking better care of my dead tree edition?
When I bought it, it only cost me the cover price.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0130305529/qid=1086716010/sr=1-7/ref=sr_1_7/002-5447550-1425633?v=glance&s=books

To the OP, I second PAIP and On Lisp.  ANSI Common Lisp is also good.
From then on, things start to get pretty redundant, although since
everyone's head is wired a little bit differently, other books
mentioned may be a good idea.

I also have Art of Meta Object Protocol by Kiczales, et al.  I haven't
cracked it open yet, so I can't comment on it.

--
An ideal world is left as an excercise to the reader.
   --- Paul Graham, On Lisp 8.1
From: adam connor
Svein Ove Aas <··············@brage.info> said:

><posted & mailed>
>
>Jeff wrote:
>
>> I am looking at:
>>
>> "Common Lisp: A Gentle Introduction to Symbolic Computation" by David
>> S. Touretzky
>> "Successful Lisp: How to Understand and Use Common Lisp" by David B.
>> Lamkins
>>
>> Are there others online to which I can refer? I've seen references to
>> Cltl2 but, I've also seen remarks about it's obsolecence since the
>> HyperSpec(?) is out.
>>
>I learn(ed) mostly from two books:
>
>On Lisp, and Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming.
>The latter can be considered an introduction; the former, more of a
>macrology cookbook and style guide.
>
>On Lisp (by Paul Graham) is also available online, although you'll want a
>paper version to read. Printing it is only practical if someone else is
>paying.

Not really true, although it helps to have someone who can manipulate
PDFs. My wife (a tech writer) was able to print it up as duplexed
4-ups for me and spiral-bind it; the print's on the small side, but
the resulting book is quite thin and can be comfortably carried
anywhere...

Also, Graham's ANSI Common Lisp is worth reading. I like PAIP a lot,
but its too thick to lug around comfortably. (I like to walk to lunch
with a book...)

Am still a newbie myself, but I am enjoying Lisp immensely.
From: Barbara Schwarz
adam connor <···················@mail.com> wrote in message news:<··································@4ax.com>...
> Svein Ove Aas <··············@brage.info> said:
>
> ><posted & mailed>
> >
> >Jeff wrote:
> >
> >> I am looking at:
> >>
> >> "Common Lisp: A Gentle Introduction to Symbolic Computation" by David
> >> S. Touretzky
> >> "Successful Lisp: How to Understand and Use Common Lisp" by David B.
> >> Lamkins
> >>
> >> Are there others online to which I can refer? I've seen references to
> >> Cltl2 but, I've also seen remarks about it's obsolecence since the
> >> HyperSpec(?) is out.
> >>
> >I learn(ed) mostly from two books:
> >
> >On Lisp, and Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming.
> >The latter can be considered an introduction; the former, more of a
> >macrology cookbook and style guide.
> >
> >On Lisp (by Paul Graham) is also available online, although you'll want a
> >paper version to read. Printing it is only practical if someone else is
> >paying.
>
> Not really true, although it helps to have someone who can manipulate
> PDFs. My wife (a tech writer) was able to print it up as duplexed
> 4-ups for me and spiral-bind it; the print's on the small side, but
> the resulting book is quite thin and can be comfortably carried
> anywhere...
>
> Also, Graham's ANSI Common Lisp is worth reading. I like PAIP a lot,
> but its too thick to lug around comfortably. (I like to walk to lunch
> with a book...)
>
> Am still a newbie myself, but I am enjoying Lisp immensely.

I didn't post on cll for quite a while, right lisp-folks? Still
glorifying the king of rats, Dave Touretzky, with his gentle ways to
harass a lady with porn and his gentle ways to show terrorists and
juvenile on his website to build bombs and to throw them in police
cars?

What a "gentleman"! Can anything truly intelligent come from him?

Barbara Schwarz
From: Christian Hofer
> I didn't post on cll for quite a while, right lisp-folks? Still

And we have not really been missing you... Although I have to admit
that when I first read OP's message, I immediatedly thought about how
long it will take until you will start your scientology spamming
here again...

Chris
From: Peter Seibel
······@bigfoot.com (Jeff) writes:

> I have programmed (as a hobby) in lisp (mostly emacs-lisp) for a
> while, although I still consider myself no more than an advanced
> beginner. I am interested in reading and learning more about common
> lisp. I have found a couple of books online that look good, but I'd
> be interested in knowing opinions of others wrt which books are
> better.
>
> I am looking at:
>
> "Common Lisp: A Gentle Introduction to Symbolic Computation" by David
> S. Touretzky
> "Successful Lisp: How to Understand and Use Common Lisp" by David B.
> Lamkins
>
> Are there others online to which I can refer? I've seen references
> to Cltl2 but, I've also seen remarks about it's obsolecence since
> the HyperSpec(?) is out.

It's not done yet but if you can live with that I have a bunch of
chapters of my book Practical Common Lisp online at:

  <http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/>

The ones marked "Ready for Review" should be more or less okay though
I am still quite interested in feedback so feel free to send along
your complaints (or compliments). Other chapters may or may not be at
all ready for human consumption.

This book will be published by Apress when I finish it.

-Peter

From: David Douthitt
Jeff wrote:
> I have programmed (as a hobby) in lisp (mostly emacs-lisp) for a
> while, although I still consider myself no more than an advanced
> beginner. I am interested in reading and learning more about common
> lisp. I have found a couple of books online that look good, but I'd be
> interested in knowing opinions of others wrt which books are better.

I'm almost in the same category.  I've been trying to learn LISP for
quite some time, without having gotten into it too deeply (my loss).
Now I hope to get into it more.

Around here, seemed like one common book was a LISP book by Winston &
Horn; I'm surprised no one mentions them any more.  I have the first
edition (using MACLISP) and the third edition (using Common LISP) on my
shelf, along with The Little LISPer.

I recommend both.

I also liked Paul Graham's book "On Lisp" (for advanced topics).  His
other book, "ANSI Common LISP" ought to be as good (I haven't bought it
yet).
From: Jeff
I have received a number of emails and some good leads on books to
read. Thanks to all who responded. I'm not writing this to close this
thread, but to let everyone know I greatly appreciate your responses.

Currently, the popular suggestions are:

Peter Norvig's book "Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming"
Paul Graham's "On Lisp"
Peter Seibel's "Practical Common Lisp"

I'm currently reading "Practical Common Lisp" and enjoying it
completely.

Some things I would like to know are:
How to interact with the OS? (ie move files, check for file existance,
etc)
How to run programs from CL? (ie system("zip foo.zip file1 file2")
type stuff)
How to interacti with external libraries? (like ftp, email, etc)

Do any of the books mentioned (including ctlt and HyperSpec) cover
these topics?

Thanks for your repsonses, I have a lot of reading to do. :)

Jeff
From: Peter Seibel
······@bigfoot.com (Jeff) writes:

> I have received a number of emails and some good leads on books to
> read. Thanks to all who responded. I'm not writing this to close this
> thread, but to let everyone know I greatly appreciate your responses.
>
> Currently, the popular suggestions are:
>
> Peter Norvig's book "Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming"
> Paul Graham's "On Lisp"
> Peter Seibel's "Practical Common Lisp"
>
> I'm currently reading "Practical Common Lisp" and enjoying it
> completely.
>
> Some things I would like to know are: How to interact with the OS?
> (ie move files, check for file existance, etc) How to run programs
> from CL? (ie system("zip foo.zip file1 file2") type stuff) How to
> interacti with external libraries? (like ftp, email, etc)
>
> Do any of the books mentioned (including ctlt and HyperSpec) cover
> these topics?

I cover files in Chapter 13 of Practical Common Lisp. The other two
are implementation dependent but I'll probably cover somewhere. But I
haven't written those sections yet.

-Peter

From: ·········@random-state.net
Jeff <······@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> How to interact with the OS? (ie move files, check for file existance,
> etc)

Not a book, but something you may find helpful in this regard, *if*
you're on an unixoid OS and use a lisp supported by UFFI.

 http://www.common-lisp.net/project/osicat/

(Patches welcome, esp. if someone is interested in figuring out what needs
to be done to make things sane on Windows including possibly radical
interface changes.)

Cheers,

 -- Nikodemus                   "Not as clumsy or random as a C++ or Java.
                             An elegant weapon for a more civilized time."
From: Edi Weitz
On 10 Jun 2004 15:49:25 -0700, ······@bigfoot.com (Jeff) wrote:

> Some things I would like to know are: How to interact with the OS?
> (ie move files, check for file existance, etc) How to run programs
> from CL? (ie system("zip foo.zip file1 file2") type stuff) How to
> interacti with external libraries? (like ftp, email, etc)

In theory this should be covered by the CL cookbook at

  <http://cl-cookbook.sourceforge.net/>

but it turns out that the contributors (including me) are usually too
busy with other things so there are lots of things missing there.

Contributions are always welcome!

Cheers,
Edi.