From: Tayssir John Gabbour
Subject: Re: ILC and other conferences
Eric Marsden wrote:
>   My impression is that ILC is considerably more expensive an affair,
>   both in terms of registration fees for attendees and organizational
>   effort.

I believe an ILC costs ~40k$? One ILC board member felt strongly about
opening up the accounting to an obvious place, so people know where
their money's going and also for the educational value.

After all, the ALU's a nonprofit. I'm told they'd like to not sound
like some obsolete corporation, but nothings gonna happen until they
get a new president, since the old one (Ray de Lacaze) burned out.

Python, Perl and maybe Ruby have O'Reilly, which perceives an incentive
in organizing conferences for them. O'Reilly has emphatically made
clear it has no interest in lisp.

Is the Gnu critique of O'Reilly an issue here? That they're leeches off
the libre community?

- - - -
Incidentally, I sincerely hope the next ILC'll be in Paris. I have at
least one friend who wants to accompany me there. I'm fairly certain
she wouldn't be so interested with a less troubled and exciting city,
as she enjoyed visiting me when I lived in SF.

From: Michael Hudson
"Tayssir John Gabbour" <···········@yahoo.com> writes:

> Eric Marsden wrote:
> >   My impression is that ILC is considerably more expensive an affair,
> >   both in terms of registration fees for attendees and organizational
> >   effort.
>
> I believe an ILC costs ~40k$? One ILC board member felt strongly about
> opening up the accounting to an obvious place, so people know where
> their money's going and also for the educational value.
>
> After all, the ALU's a nonprofit. I'm told they'd like to not sound
> like some obsolete corporation, but nothings gonna happen until they
> get a new president, since the old one (Ray de Lacaze) burned out.
>
> Python, Perl and maybe Ruby have O'Reilly, which perceives an incentive
> in organizing conferences for them. O'Reilly has emphatically made
> clear it has no interest in lisp.

But Python has PyCon and EuroPython which are certainly not organized
by O'Reilly.  Perl has (at least) YAPC.

There's nothing magical about organizing conferences like these.  It
takes a couple of hundred people who want to go and an awful lot of
hard work on the part of the organizers.

Cheers,
mwh

--
 <cube> If you are anal, and you love to be right all the time, C++
   gives you a multitude of mostly untimportant details to fret about
From: Randall Randall
"Tayssir John Gabbour" <···········@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<··········@odak26.prod.google.com>...

> Python, Perl and maybe Ruby have O'Reilly, which perceives an incentive
> in organizing conferences for them. O'Reilly has emphatically made
> clear it has no interest in lisp.

Interesting that they published Hackers & Painters, then, which has lots
of lispy content.  Perhaps they're interested in Lisp works as cultural
works, but not as language-specific works?

--
Randall Randall <·······@randallsquared.com>
Property law should use #'EQ , not #'EQUAL .
From: Tayssir John Gabbour
·······@randallsquared.com (Randall Randall) wrote in message news:<····························@posting.google.com>...
> "Tayssir John Gabbour" <···········@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<··········@odak26.prod.google.com>...
> > Python, Perl and maybe Ruby have O'Reilly, which perceives an incentive
> > in organizing conferences for them. O'Reilly has emphatically made
> > clear it has no interest in lisp.
>
> Interesting that they published Hackers & Painters, then, which has lots
> of lispy content.  Perhaps they're interested in Lisp works as cultural
> works, but not as language-specific works?

I could guess from their values:
http://tim.oreilly.com/values/bhag.html
http://tim.oreilly.com/values/

but I don't know. They still explain they're not interested in lisp
books:
http://www.oreilly.com/oreilly/author/writeforus_1101.html

and I remember from my copy of Hackers & Painters that the lisp stuff
was pushed in the back, to work on people who grabbed the book for the
parts on unhappy nerds & spam.

I would guess they don't perceive this as the typical opensource
community they can grow from nothing and dominate in terms of
documentation. Especially since there's a lot of lisp books few people
know about, not to mention gorillas like PAIP:
http://alu.cliki.net/Obscure%20Book

But they're indirectly promoting it through, as you mentioned, Paul
Graham's book, and I think Python and Ruby books help destroy certain
barriers to acceptance too.