From: Tayssir John Gabbour
Subject: Re: ILC and other conferences
[Let's see if Google puts this response in the "right place" for
peoples' newsreaders...]

Christophe Rhodes wrote:
> Nevertheless, I think the case for interaction with the outside world
> is rather stronger than the case for yet another insular affair: get
> out of the ghetto and speak to the world!  Don't feel that you need
> hang out with the great unwashed "Libre" hackers by any means: all
> you'll miss out on is foie gras, Loupiac and plenty of cheese.

This isn't mutually exclusive with an ILC; it just adds to diversity. I
went to the Oslo thing for an odd reason (to meet someone), so
something as unusual and oldschool as the ILC is in my interest.

And tell me: Did you at the Libre meeting have a speaker explain to a
stunned lisp audience that they would die penniless if they didn't a)
use lisp and b) implement a B2B solution? I'm sorry, but unless you had
rms give an intro on Bulgarian folk dancing, or snorted cocaine off a
Unix guy's beard, I'm sure nothing in Bordeaux compared.

(Incidentally, it's those Dilbert slides bookending the talk, which he
used to butter up the audience, which stick in my mind. I can't explain
why.)

MfG,
Tayssir