From: Jim Newton
Subject: ILC and other conferences
I have been told there was and would be no ILC 2004.  does anyone
know why?  Which other conferences of similar subject matter
does anyone know about.  Does anyone know anything about
AIS http://icai.tsure.ru/  The name sounds somewhat lispy
but there is no mention on the web site.

-jim

From: Rainer Joswig
Subject: Re: ILC and other conferences
In article <··············@uni-berlin.de>, Jim Newton <·····@rdrop.com>
wrote:

> I have been told there was and would be no ILC 2004.  does anyone
> know why?  Which other conferences of similar subject matter
> does anyone know about.  Does anyone know anything about
> AIS http://icai.tsure.ru/  The name sounds somewhat lispy
> but there is no mention on the web site.
>
> -jim

A ILC is a lot of work and costs money.

At ILC 2003 there was talk about an ILC 2005 in Paris.
Since then the ALU president has resigned. The
ALU organizes the ILC.

The best way to make sure there is another ILC is
to help the ALU to organize/fund/... it.
From: Christophe Rhodes
Rainer Joswig <······@lispmachine.de> writes:

> The best way to make sure there is another ILC is
> to help the ALU to organize/fund/... it.

Or, of course, to bypass the ALU and do it yourself.

Christophe
From: Rainer Joswig
Christophe Rhodes <·····@cam.ac.uk> wrote in message news:<··············@cam.ac.uk>...
> Rainer Joswig <······@lispmachine.de> writes:
>
> > The best way to make sure there is another ILC is
> > to help the ALU to organize/fund/... it.
>
> Or, of course, to bypass the ALU and do it yourself.
>
> Christophe

Which is, of course, a lot of work/time/money. Since the ALU
has a history of organizing such an event, staying with the ALU seems
to be the best choice for me.

If you are willing to do something without the ALU, go ahead.
Of course, I will consider attending, if you organize a nice
do it yourself conference in some nice town. ;-) Oh, by the way, yes,
I have co-organized some Lisp Users meetings and yes, I have
been to a few of the ALU conferences, which I have enjoyed a lot.
I really like to see a ILC 2005 in Paris organized by the ALU.
From: Christophe Rhodes
······@corporate-world.lisp.de (Rainer Joswig) writes:

> If you are willing to do something without the ALU, go ahead.
> Of course, I will consider attending, if you organize a nice
> do it yourself conference in some nice town. ;-)

Perhaps you missed the existence of a Lisp track at the Libre Software
Meeting, held in Bordeaux earlier this month?

Christophe
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <··············@cam.ac.uk>,
 Christophe Rhodes <·····@cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> ······@corporate-world.lisp.de (Rainer Joswig) writes:
>
> > If you are willing to do something without the ALU, go ahead.
> > Of course, I will consider attending, if you organize a nice
> > do it yourself conference in some nice town. ;-)
>
> Perhaps you missed the existence of a Lisp track at the Libre Software
> Meeting, held in Bordeaux earlier this month?

But you understand the difference between a Lisp conference
and a Lisp track at the Libre Software Meeting?
From: Christophe Rhodes
Rainer Joswig <······@lispmachine.de> writes:

> In article <··············@cam.ac.uk>,
>  Christophe Rhodes <·····@cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> ······@corporate-world.lisp.de (Rainer Joswig) writes:
>>
>> > If you are willing to do something without the ALU, go ahead.
>> > Of course, I will consider attending, if you organize a nice
>> > do it yourself conference in some nice town. ;-)
>>
>> Perhaps you missed the existence of a Lisp track at the Libre Software
>> Meeting, held in Bordeaux earlier this month?
>
> But you understand the difference between a Lisp conference
> and a Lisp track at the Libre Software Meeting?

Yes of course.  There are differences in scope, in potential for
interaction, in breadth of community: arguably not all in the favour
of a dedicated Lisp conference.  There are other differences,
including those of economy of scale, which mean that, realistically,
the LSM caters for a different set of worldviews (and disposable
incomes -- always a relevant factor :-) from ILC attendees.

Nevertheless, I think the case for interaction with the outside world
is rather stronger than the case for yet another insular affair: get
out of the ghetto and speak to the world!  Don't feel that you need to
hang out with the great unwashed "Libre" hackers by any means: all
you'll miss out on is foie gras, Loupiac and plenty of cheese.

Christophe
From: Eric Marsden

  csr> There are differences in scope, in potential for interaction,
  csr> in breadth of community: arguably not all in the favour of a
  csr> dedicated Lisp conference. There are other differences,
  csr> including those of economy of scale, which mean that,
  csr> realistically, the LSM caters for a different set of worldviews
  csr> (and disposable incomes -- always a relevant factor :-) from
  csr> ILC attendees.

  this is an important point. The effort required to organize the
  high-level languages track at the LSM was minimal, since the
  logistics are covered by the conference. It provides a pleasant
  venue with good conference facilities, and affordable (though far
  from luxurious) accomodation in the vicinity, with hotels available
  downtown if people prefer. The LSM'2005 should also be in Bordeaux
  around the second week of July.

  My impression is that ILC is considerably more expensive an affair,
  both in terms of registration fees for attendees and organizational
  effort.

  csr> Don't feel that you need to hang out with the great unwashed
  csr> "Libre" hackers by any means: all you'll miss out on is foie
  csr> gras, Loupiac and plenty of cheese.

  ah, the Loupiac! A sweet white wine that is similar in taste and
  close in terms of production region to the better-known Sauternes,
  but rather more affordable. After the LSM a few of us visited the
  village of St �milion then wandered through the Entre-Deux-Mers
  region (highlight: an atrocious pink pseudo-chateau beside some
  steel wine vats) to Loupiac for a wine tasting in a luverly chateau.

  But to conclude on topic, during the LSM developers on free software
  projects including SBCL, CLISP, CMUCL, McCLIM, Gsharp, Portable
  Allegroserve, Eclipse and PHemlock met face to face for friendly
  chats and GPG key signing. There were positive discussions regarding
  improvement of stream handling, multithreading, MOP compliance,
  Case-Sensitive packages and modernization of CLIM, some of which
  should lead to calls for collaboration in this forum.

--
Eric Marsden                          <URL:http://www.laas.fr/~emarsden/>
From: Rob Warnock
Rainer Joswig <······@corporate-world.lisp.de> wrote:
| I really like to see a ILC 2005 in Paris organized by the ALU.

And FWIW, I would really, really like to see an ILC 2006 back on the west
coast of the U.S. again [preferably in the SF Bay Area, of course!].  ;-}

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock			<····@rpw3.org>
627 26th Avenue			<URL:http://rpw3.org/>