From: Pekka Niiranen
Subject: Where is the official ANSI compliant test suite?
The release notes of the GCL say:

"GCL is still the least ANSI compliant
of the freely available lisp systems"

I wonder, is there available an complete test suite
for ANSI compliance that can be run against any Lisp implementation?

Googling returns "Paul Dietz' ANSI test suite" but reading
about it I got an impression that suite does not cover
the whole standard (yet)

-pekka-

From: Camm Maguire
Greetings!  As far as I know, Paul Dietz' work in progress suite which
he maintains as part of the gcl source tree is the most comprehensive
ansi test suite currently available.  Please let me know if I am
mistaken here.

Take care,

--
Camm Maguire			     			····@enhanced.com
From: Christophe Rhodes
Pekka Niiranen <··············@wlanmail.com> writes:

> Googling returns "Paul Dietz' ANSI test suite" but reading
> about it I got an impression that suite does not cover
> the whole standard (yet)

It does not cover the whole standard, no.  It covers enough, in
sufficient depth, to be extremely useful for implementors -- though
personally I would caution against simply counting failing tests and
using that as a metric of compliance.

Christophe
From: Paul Dietz
Christophe Rhodes wrote:

> Pekka Niiranen <··············@wlanmail.com> writes:
>
> > Googling returns "Paul Dietz' ANSI test suite" but reading
> > about it I got an impression that suite does not cover
> > the whole standard (yet)
>
> It does not cover the whole standard, no.  It covers enough, in
> sufficient depth, to be extremely useful for implementors -- though
> personally I would caution against simply counting failing tests and
> using that as a metric of compliance.

Let me second that caution.  The test suite is not intended
to provide a quantitative measure of compliance.  The intent of
the suite is (1) to help the implementors of gcl and other CLs
improve compliance, and (2) to expose issues with the CL specification
itself.

The test suite is up to section 22 now, so while it doesn't cover
the whole standard yet, it does cover most of it.  I will be going
back over the suite after the first pass through the standard
in order to fill in parts that have been skipped or missed.

	Paul