From: Rodolphe Saugier
Subject: Multiplatform audio library
Hi all,

We need an audio playback library which must be able to:
- do real-time mixing (as many simultaneous samples as possible)
- load wav files (at least)
- synchronize the beginning of the multiple playbacks

It should be multiplatform (we're interested by Win32 only options too),
work with Allegro Common Lisp, and be rather "solid".

Any suggestions ?

Thanks a lot,

Rodolphe Saugier

(PS: this is for OpenMusic)

From: Kenny Tilton
Subject: Re: Multiplatform audio library
Rodolphe Saugier wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We need an audio playback library which must be able to:
> - do real-time mixing (as many simultaneous samples as possible)
> - load wav files (at least)
> - synchronize the beginning of the multiple playbacks
>
> It should be multiplatform (we're interested by Win32 only options too),
> work with Allegro Common Lisp, and be rather "solid".
>
> Any suggestions ?

How about OpenAL? I think it meets all your requirments, and the API is
pretty straightforward. See the cl-openal subdirectory of the Cells
project (see sig) for UFFI bindings.

kt

--
Cells? Cello? Celtik?: http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/
From: Pascal Bourguignon
Rodolphe Saugier <················@ircam.fr> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> We need an audio playback library which must be able to:
> - do real-time mixing (as many simultaneous samples as possible)
> - load wav files (at least)
> - synchronize the beginning of the multiple playbacks
>
> It should be multiplatform (we're interested by Win32 only options too),
> work with Allegro Common Lisp, and be rather "solid".
>
> Any suggestions ?
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Rodolphe Saugier
>
> (PS: this is for OpenMusic)

On Posix, there is JACK http://jackit.sourceforge.net/
(including Linux and MacOSX).

On MacOSX and on MS-Windows: QuickTime.

There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not
want merely because you think it would be good for him. -- Robert Heinlein
From: Raymond Toy

    Rodolphe> Hi all,

    Rodolphe> We need an audio playback library which must be able to:
    Rodolphe> - do real-time mixing (as many simultaneous samples as possible)
    Rodolphe> - load wav files (at least)
    Rodolphe> - synchronize the beginning of the multiple playbacks

NAS can do this (http://radscan.com/nas.html), except, maybe for the
synch part.  It won't load all kinds of wav files, but will load the
most common ones.  It's free and runs on Windows, using cygwin.

Ray
From: Alex Mizrahi
(message (Hello 'Rodolphe)
(you :wrote  :on '(Mon, 19 Jul 2004 13:16:05 +0200))
(

 RS> We need an audio playback library which must be able to:
 RS> - do real-time mixing (as many simultaneous samples as possible)
 RS> - load wav files (at least)
 RS> - synchronize the beginning of the multiple playbacks

 RS> It should be multiplatform (we're interested by Win32 only options
 RS> too), work with Allegro Common Lisp, and be rather "solid".

 RS> Any suggestions ?

make bindings for fmod (www.fmod.org)

)
(prin1 "Jane dates only Lisp programmers"))
From: Rodolphe Saugier
Alex Mizrahi wrote:
> (message (Hello 'Rodolphe)
> (you :wrote  :on '(Mon, 19 Jul 2004 13:16:05 +0200))
> (
>
>  RS> We need an audio playback library which must be able to:
>  RS> - do real-time mixing (as many simultaneous samples as possible)
>  RS> - load wav files (at least)
>  RS> - synchronize the beginning of the multiple playbacks
>
>  RS> It should be multiplatform (we're interested by Win32 only options
>  RS> too), work with Allegro Common Lisp, and be rather "solid".
>
>  RS> Any suggestions ?
>
> make bindings for fmod (www.fmod.org)

(loop for i from 1 to 5
       do (print "but it's not free for commercial use... more
difficult!... and it takes time to do..."))

(print "...but thanks for the idea anyway")

Rodolphe