From: Mark Carter
Subject: LTk on Windows using CLisp
Mainly FOA Peter Herth, but undoubtedly other will be interested:

I am a Lisp newbie and Tk nonstarter (well, I actually wrote a simple UI
in python for Tk once), and I was interested in learning CLisp. I wanted
to see what GUI features existed for Lisp on the Windows platform, and I
came across LTk. LTk looks like the best bet for someone wanting a UI on
Lisp.

I downloaded your code to see if I could get it running on Windows XP.
I'm not using mingw, cygwin, or any of that stuff. I just wanted a plain
Windows setup. I used tcl 8.0.5, and, basically, it didn't work. There
was a problem with 'wish' - it detaches itself from the console - making
it impossible to communicate via stdin and stdout.

I wondered if you had any reports about success or failure using my
setup. I would be suprised if anyone got it to work, given the following ...

I downloaded the latest version of tcl from ActiveState, and whilst
'wish' still wont work the way Ltk needs it to, tclsh looks much more
promising. It does, however, mean that start-w will require slight
modification. I might have a play to see if I can get it to work.

Is this something you would be interested in?

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: LTk on Windows using CLisp
Mark Carter <············@ukmail.com> writes:

> Mainly FOA Peter Herth, but undoubtedly other will be interested:
>
> I am a Lisp newbie and Tk nonstarter (well, I actually wrote a simple
> UI in python for Tk once), and I was interested in learning CLisp. I
> wanted to see what GUI features existed for Lisp on the Windows
> platform, and I came across LTk. LTk looks like the best bet for
> someone wanting a UI on Lisp.
>
> I downloaded your code to see if I could get it running on Windows
> XP. I'm not using mingw, cygwin, or any of that stuff. I just wanted a
> plain Windows setup. I used tcl 8.0.5, and, basically, it didn't
> work. There was a problem with 'wish' - it detaches itself from the
> console - making it impossible to communicate via stdin and stdout.
>
> I wondered if you had any reports about success or failure using my
> setup. I would be suprised if anyone got it to work, given the
> following ...
>
> I downloaded the latest version of tcl from ActiveState, and whilst
> 'wish' still wont work the way Ltk needs it to, tclsh looks much more
> promising. It does, however, mean that start-w will require slight
> modification. I might have a play to see if I can get it to work.
>
> Is this something you would be interested in?

I've no idea of MS-Windows, but I tried:
     ( clisp + ltk + tcl/tk ) / cygwin / win98
successfully.

At least, cygwin makes a MS-Windows "usable" (launch sshd and then remotely!)

There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not
want merely because you think it would be good for him. -- Robert Heinlein
From: Kenny Tilton
Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
> Mark Carter <············@ukmail.com> writes:
>

>>Mainly FOA Peter Herth, but undoubtedly other will be interested:
>>
>>I am a Lisp newbie and Tk nonstarter (well, I actually wrote a simple
>>UI in python for Tk once), and I was interested in learning CLisp. I
>>wanted to see what GUI features existed for Lisp on the Windows
>>platform, and I came across LTk. LTk looks like the best bet for
>>someone wanting a UI on Lisp.
>>
>>I downloaded your code to see if I could get it running on Windows
>>XP. I'm not using mingw, cygwin, or any of that stuff. I just wanted a
>>plain Windows setup. I used tcl 8.0.5, and, basically, it didn't
>>work. There was a problem with 'wish' - it detaches itself from the
>>console - making it impossible to communicate via stdin and stdout.

fwiw, my setup is WinXP + AllegroCL + wish (both from ActiveState binary
install and by building from sources) and wish communicates nicely via
stdin/out. I do have a problem: wish hangs on keyboard input, but the
Tcl/Tk demos work fine in all respects including keyboard input, and I
observe they kick off wish. So that seems to be a narrow
incompatibility, not the complete disfunctionality you have experienced.

kt

--
Cells? Cello? Celtik?: http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/
From: Mark Carter
Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
> Mark Carter <············@ukmail.com> writes:

>> LTk looks like the best bet for
>>someone wanting a UI on Lisp.

>> I used tcl 8.0.5, and, basically, it didn't
>>work. There was a problem with 'wish' - it detaches itself from the
>>console - making it impossible to communicate via stdin and stdout.

> I've no idea of MS-Windows, but I tried:
>      ( clisp + ltk + tcl/tk ) / cygwin / win98
> successfully.

I suspect that it's a usage of cygwin which gets Wish to play nice.

> At least, cygwin makes a MS-Windows "usable" (launch sshd and then remotely!)

Not to mention that it provides a standardised and unified build
environment! I reformatted my hard disk recently, so I hadn't put stuff
like cygwin back on. I'm not sure if I like cygwin or mingw better.

Anyways, it would be nice if I could get Ltk to work without the Unixy
stuff. It cuts down on the plumbing.
From: Peter Herth
Mark Carter wrote:

> I downloaded your code to see if I could get it running on Windows XP.
> I'm not using mingw, cygwin, or any of that stuff. I just wanted a plain
> Windows setup. I used tcl 8.0.5, and, basically, it didn't work. There
> was a problem with 'wish' - it detaches itself from the console - making
> it impossible to communicate via stdin and stdout.

With detaching from the console - do you mean it opens a window of its own
where it expects input ?

> I wondered if you had any reports about success or failure using my
> setup. I would be suprised if anyone got it to work, given the following

While I am not sure about XP, I have heard of Ltk running with Clisp
on Windows, so it should be possible...

> I downloaded the latest version of tcl from ActiveState, and whilst
> 'wish' still wont work the way Ltk needs it to, tclsh looks much more
> promising. It does, however, mean that start-w will require slight
> modification. I might have a play to see if I can get it to work.
>
> Is this something you would be interested in?

Well, tclsh won't help you, as it is missing the Tk part.
But I am quite interested if you find out what your problems result
from, so we can either adapt Ltk to it or build up a troubleshooting
guide.

Peter

--
pet project: http://dawn.netcologne.de
homepage:    http://www.peter-herth.de
From: Mark Carter
Peter Herth wrote:

>>was a problem with 'wish' - it detaches itself from the console - making
>>it impossible to communicate via stdin and stdout.

> With detaching from the console - do you mean it opens a window of its own
> where it expects input ?

Exactly!

Wish gives you it's own separate "console" to type into, and a window
labelled LTK. But you can't create widgets onto it.

FYI, I start CLisp from the standard Windows console
(C:\windows\system32\cmd.exe)

> Well, tclsh won't help you, as it is missing the Tk part.

Ah yes, but I think it'll be OK. My thinking is:
1. Use start-w to start tclsh instead of wish
2. Use send-w (sorry, I don't have the code with me to check for
accuracy) to send the string "package require Tk".

I tried it on the command line, and this does actually create a
top-level window. So whilst I've still got to check that it works, I'm
more hopeful.

> But I am quite interested if you find out what your problems result
> from, so we can either adapt Ltk to it or build up a troubleshooting
> guide.

I'll let you know the results of my investigations.
From: Edi Weitz
On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 12:16:10 +0100, Mark Carter <············@ukmail.com> wrote:

> Mainly FOA Peter Herth, but undoubtedly other will be interested:
>
> I am a Lisp newbie and Tk nonstarter (well, I actually wrote a
> simple UI in python for Tk once), and I was interested in learning
> CLisp. I wanted to see what GUI features existed for Lisp on the
> Windows platform, and I came across LTk. LTk looks like the best bet
> for someone wanting a UI on Lisp.
>
> I downloaded your code to see if I could get it running on Windows
> XP. I'm not using mingw, cygwin, or any of that stuff. I just wanted
> a plain Windows setup. I used tcl 8.0.5, and, basically, it didn't
> work. There was a problem with 'wish' - it detaches itself from the
> console - making it impossible to communicate via stdin and stdout.
>
> I wondered if you had any reports about success or failure using my
> setup. I would be suprised if anyone got it to work, given the
> following ...
>
> I downloaded the latest version of tcl from ActiveState, and whilst
> 'wish' still wont work the way Ltk needs it to, tclsh looks much
> more promising. It does, however, mean that start-w will require
> slight modification. I might have a play to see if I can get it to
> work.
>
> Is this something you would be interested in?

I have no problems using LTK together with ActiveState's Tcl/Tk. FWIW,
here's my setup:

1. Windows is XP pro (US version) with all patches and updates loaded.

2. ActiveTcl is 8.4.6.1 (Build 99631) from May 05, 2004.

3. LTK is the latest version from
   <http://www.peter-herth.de/ltk/ltk.tgz>, downloaded today.

4. CLISP is the latest native Win32 binary available from Sourceforge,
   2.33.1.

5. In ltk.lisp where DO-EXECUTE is called, I changed "wish" to
   "c:/Tcl/bin/wish" because I also have cygwin's Tcl/Tk installed and
   I wanted to make sure that I use the ActiveState version.

   Peter, I think this shouldn't be hard-coded but use-configurable.

I then compiled and loaded LTK and could start the TEST function
successfully.

HTH,
Edi.

--

"Lisp doesn't look any deader than usual to me."
(David Thornley, reply to a question older than most languages)

From: Peter Herth
Edi Weitz wrote:

> 3. LTK is the latest version from
>    <http://www.peter-herth.de/ltk/ltk.tgz>, downloaded today.

Thats the "stable" version, the latest is shown below :) but as
the 0.8.5 seems to be stable, I changed both links to 0.8.5

> 5. In ltk.lisp where DO-EXECUTE is called, I changed "wish" to
>    "c:/Tcl/bin/wish" because I also have cygwin's Tcl/Tk installed and
>    I wanted to make sure that I use the ActiveState version.
>
>    Peter, I think this shouldn't be hard-coded but use-configurable.

you can set the variable ltk::*wish-pathname* to your custom path.
(Will add it to the exported variables with 0.8.6)

Peter

From: Edi Weitz
On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 16:21:31 +0200, Peter Herth <·····@netcologne.de> wrote:

> Edi Weitz wrote:
>
>> 3. LTK is the latest version from
>>    <http://www.peter-herth.de/ltk/ltk.tgz>, downloaded today.
>
> Thats the "stable" version, the latest is shown below :) but as the
> 0.8.5 seems to be stable, I changed both links to 0.8.5

I'm confused. I had a tarball named ltk-0.8.5.tgz on my hard disk
which was from July 5. ltk.tgz, on the other hand, was from July
18. Did you change 0.8.5 without changing the version number? Hmmm...

>> 5. In ltk.lisp where DO-EXECUTE is called, I changed "wish" to
>>    "c:/Tcl/bin/wish" because I also have cygwin's Tcl/Tk installed and
>>    I wanted to make sure that I use the ActiveState version.
>>
>>    Peter, I think this shouldn't be hard-coded but use-configurable.
>
> you can set the variable ltk::*wish-pathname* to your custom path.
> (Will add it to the exported variables with 0.8.6)

OK, that wasn't available in the versions I downloaded.

Thanks,
Edi.

From: Peter Herth
Edi Weitz wrote:

> I'm confused. I had a tarball named ltk-0.8.5.tgz on my hard disk
> which was from July 5. ltk.tgz, on the other hand, was from July
> 18. Did you change 0.8.5 without changing the version number? Hmmm...

ltk 0.8.5 is from July 5, since then I didnt update anything on my
webpage (besides changing the link some minutes ago), so something
must have "touched "your file locally.

Peter

From: Mark Carter
> I have no problems using LTK together with ActiveState's Tcl/Tk.

I had been using the binaries from version 8.0 from Sourceforge. Looking
at it again, I realise that this version came out in 1999!

I downloaded the latest binaries from ActiveState, and now Ltk works
perfectly when I run test.

Great stuff!
From: Peter Herth
Mark Carter wrote:

> I downloaded the latest binaries from ActiveState, and now Ltk works
> perfectly when I run test.
>
> Great stuff!

Glad to hear that your problems are resolved :)

Peter

From: ·········@random-state.net
Mark Carter <············@ukmail.com> wrote:

> I am a Lisp newbie and Tk nonstarter (well, I actually wrote a simple UI
> in python for Tk once), and I was interested in learning CLisp. I wanted

Seing that your actually issues got solved already, I'll engage in a bit
of pedantry:

Clisp (note capitalization) is _an_ implementation of Common Lisp. The
preferred abbreviation for the _language_ itself is CL.

Cheers,

 -- Nikodemus                   "Not as clumsy or random as a C++ or Java.
                             An elegant weapon for a more civilized time."