From: Jim Newton
Subject: help with debug messages
hi i've just started using cmucl, and i've written a simple
program.  How do i find out which line of my program the
error is occuring on?

thanks.

* (load "array.lisp")

Type-error in KERNEL::OBJECT-NOT-LIST-ERROR-HANDLER:
    #<EQL hash table, 8 entries {48196DFD}> is not of type LIST

Restarts:
   0: [CONTINUE] Return NIL from load of "array.lisp".
   1: [ABORT   ] Return to Top-Level.

Debug  (type H for help)

(CAR 1 #<EQL hash table, 8 entries {48196DFD}>)[:EXTERNAL]
Source: Error finding source:
Error in function COMMON-LISP::%ENUMERATE-SEARCH-LIST:
    Undefined search list: trunk
From: Edi Weitz
Subject: Re: help with debug messages
On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 21:15:59 +0200, Jim Newton <·····@rdrop.com> wrote:

> hi i've just started using cmucl, and i've written a simple program.
> How do i find out which line of my program the error is occuring on?

You should read the entry about "Source Location Printing" in the
CMUCL User's Manual.

> * (load "array.lisp")

> Type-error in KERNEL::OBJECT-NOT-LIST-ERROR-HANDLER:
>     #<EQL hash table, 8 entries {48196DFD}> is not of type LIST
>
> Restarts:
>    0: [CONTINUE] Return NIL from load of "array.lisp".
>    1: [ABORT   ] Return to Top-Level.
>
> Debug  (type H for help)
>
> (CAR 1 #<EQL hash table, 8 entries {48196DFD}>)[:EXTERNAL]

The innermost enclosing form is a an internal function ("CAR with 1
argument"). You will get more context if you type something like
"source 1" or "source 2" into the debugger.

> Source: Error finding source:
> Error in function COMMON-LISP::%ENUMERATE-SEARCH-LIST:
>     Undefined search list: trunk

The search list (a CMUCL feature) "trunk" is not defined. It is
supposed to point to the CMUCL sources. If it had been defined CMUCL
would have shown you the source of the offending function.

You will get better replies for CMUCL-specific questions on the
cmucl-help mailing list.

Cheers,
Edi.

--

"Lisp doesn't look any deader than usual to me."
(David Thornley, reply to a question older than most languages)