From: Miguel Arroz
Subject: How to write a multi-platform LISP application?
Hi!

  I need to develop an application in LISP that makes use of
sockets and threads. It will be developed on OpenMCL, but it
will need to compile and run on CMUCL. So, my question is how
to make the application compile and run on both enviornments.
What's the best approach? Use some kind of existing abstraction
layer? Write some macros implement that abstraction?

  Yours

Miguel Arroz

From: Friedrich Dominicus
Subject: Re: How to write a multi-platform LISP application?
Miguel Arroz <·····@guiamac.com> writes:

> Hi!
>
>   I need to develop an application in LISP that makes use of
> sockets and threads. It will be developed on OpenMCL, but it
> will need to compile and run on CMUCL. So, my question is how
> to make the application compile and run on both enviornments.
> What's the best approach? Use some kind of existing abstraction
> layer? Write some macros implement that abstraction?
You may want to check the faciltites provided with Portable
AllegroServe. That should give you all you need for a portable sockets
and maybe threads solution.

Regards
Friedrich

--
Please remove just-for-news- to reply via e-mail.
From: Marco Baringer
Miguel Arroz <·····@guiamac.com> writes:

> Hi!
>
>   I need to develop an application in LISP that makes use of
> sockets and threads. It will be developed on OpenMCL, but it
> will need to compile and run on CMUCL. So, my question is how
> to make the application compile and run on both enviornments.
> What's the best approach? Use some kind of existing abstraction
> layer? Write some macros implement that abstraction?

other than acl-compat you could also look at slime. even though it's
marketed as an emacs mode it contains a pretty good portablility
layer.

--
-Marco
Ring the bells that still can ring.
From: ·········@random-state.net
Miguel Arroz <·····@guiamac.com> wrote:

>   I need to develop an application in LISP that makes use of
> sockets and threads. It will be developed on OpenMCL, but it
> will need to compile and run on CMUCL. So, my question is how
> to make the application compile and run on both enviornments.

You could take a look what Araneida <http://www.cliki.net/Araneida> does:
it has it's own application specific portability layer that works across
SBCL, OpenMCL, Allegro Common Lisp (ACL), Armed Bear Common Lisp, and
CLISP.

AFAIK even though Araneida was originally not designed for portability
setting up the portability layer was about a weekend's task, no more.

Cheers,

 -- Nikodemus                   "Not as clumsy or random as a C++ or Java.
                             An elegant weapon for a more civilized time."