From: Converg
Subject: Recommended Implementations?
I'm about to start a fairly large project and I've decided to use lisp
for the job.  I've been learning with clisp, as clisp is the only
implementation included on my school provided shell account, and I'm
curious about other distributions.  To make a long story short, I
would like to see some concretely grounded opinions on the pros/cons
of various free distro's of CL.  If anybody happens to know where such
a critique might already exist, please direct me to it.
Furthermore, does anybody know of a good IDE for lisp that offers any
major advantages over good ole emacs?  Thanks
-colin

From: Robert Bruce Carleton
Subject: Re: Recommended Implementations?
Colin,

SLIME is an IDE that is being actively developed.  A packaged "box" of
emacs and slime can be found at:

  http://www.common-lisp.net/project/lispbox/

The clisp install of lisp in a box is very simple, you just run the base
installer and then the clisp module installer.

Best regards,

    --Bruce

From: Matthew Danish
On Thu, 8 Jul 2004, Converg wrote:
> I'm about to start a fairly large project and I've decided to use lisp
> for the job.  I've been learning with clisp, as clisp is the only
> implementation included on my school provided shell account, and I'm
> curious about other distributions.  To make a long story short, I
> would like to see some concretely grounded opinions on the pros/cons
> of various free distro's of CL.  If anybody happens to know where such
> a critique might already exist, please direct me to it.
> Furthermore, does anybody know of a good IDE for lisp that offers any
> major advantages over good ole emacs?  Thanks

http://www.cliki.net/Common%20Lisp%20implementation

Your choice really depends a lot upon your needs and your platform.  CLISP
will probably suffice for most needs; though CMUCL or SBCL might be a
better choice for CPU-intensive tasks.

As for Emacs, if you are already comfortable with it, excellent.  You are
not going to find very many alternatives that have the same comprehensive
support for S-expressions and extensibility.  You can obtain SLIME
(http://www.cliki.net/SLIME) and use that to interface Emacs with CLISP,
providing a very nice IDE.

You should check out the rest of CLiki as well.