From: Rodolphe Saugier
Subject: Multi-platform graphics library
Hi everybody,

Here at IRCAM we are experimenting strategies to port OpenMusic,
a visual programming environment dedicated to music, from
MCL on Mac to Allegro Common Lisp on Windows, MacOSX & maybe Linux.

What multi-platform GUI toolkit would you recommend us ?
(I know it's a complicated question...)

Best Regards,

Rodolphe Saugier, beginner with Lisp

From: Michael D. Kersey
Subject: Re: Multi-platform graphics library

 From http://www.swi-prolog.org/packages/xpce/

 From http://www.swi-prolog.org/graphics.html
X> XPCE has a dynamically
X> typed object-oriented kernel. Methods can be defined
X> in any language. XPCE predefines a large number of
X> classes, aiming at data-representation as well as
X> graphics. The graphical library allows for abstract
X> description of interface components and is portable
X> to Win32 and Unix/X11.

XPCE has a Common Lisp interface - see first reference at top of
http://www.swi.psy.uva.nl/projects/xpce/UserGuide/Bibliography.html
From: Kenny Tilton
Rodolphe Saugier wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> Here at IRCAM we are experimenting strategies to port OpenMusic,
> a visual programming environment dedicated to music, from
> MCL on Mac to Allegro Common Lisp on Windows, MacOSX & maybe Linux.

Fantastic! Why exactly further down, but first as to your specific
query:

I see Open Music on Linux uses GTK+. Isn't that portable to win32 and
Mac OS X? Assuming you have considered that, and before someone merely
sends you without further guidance to...

   http://www.cliki.net/Graphics%20Toolkit

...here is what I know:

I am a big AllegroCL fan, but Lispworks has ported their CAPI gui to all
three platforms. I asked about the portability here recently and got
rave reviews. The gui itself is also much liked.

But if you are commtted to ACL... hey, check with Franz, maybe they are
porting CommonGraphics. And they sell a CLIM (CL Interface Manager), tho
I do not know of its portability.

If you want a Lispier solution, you have... well, I do not know. Can any
McCLIM (http://mcclim.cliki.net/index) fans speak to its portability
across OSes?

Then Real Soon Now there is my open source project, Cello. Watch this
space or a mailing list on http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/ for
an announcement.

Cello is meant to be a portable CL GUI. I am porting an industrual
strength GUI built for win32 under AllegroCL to more portable/open
substrates: OpenGL, FreeGlut (window manager), FTGL (for type), and
ImageMagick (for drawing tools out the wazoo). Sample screens from
proprietary Cello precursors are here: http://www.tilton-technology.com/
(follow the link to the old project name, Cellophane). The other link
(to Cells) leads to info on that dataflow hack underlying Cello.

A win32 version (with just a few widgets ported) is running now under
ACL and LW, a port to Linux is any-day-now, and Mac OS X is an
indispensible target (I am using Cello for an app aimed at home/school.)

Now as to that "fantastic!", our local Lisp NYC drinking club has formed
a SIG to work with local folks doing algorithmic music composition. Go
here http://www.lispnyc.org/ and hit the Musig link. We are hanging out
with two Real Composers:

  Howard Elmer http://www.assemblage.org/
   Drew Krause  http://www.wordecho.com/DrewKrause.html

Howard uses Symbolic Composer, Drew uses CM. And tonight I am dropping
in on an unrelated group using SuperCollider and I expect to form a
bridge to them. No reason we cannot get Open Music into the fray as
well. Let's stay in touch.

kenny

--

 http://www.tilton-technology.com/
"[If anyone really has healing powers,] I would like to call
From: Paolo Amoroso

> If you want a Lispier solution, you have... well, I do not know. Can any
> McCLIM (http://mcclim.cliki.net/index) fans speak to its portability
> across OSes?

McCLIM is currently available for Allegro CL, CMUCL, LispWorks,
OpenMCL and SBCL. I guess it has been tested only on Unix-like
operating systems.

Paolo
From: Rahul Jain
Paolo Amoroso <·······@mclink.it> writes:

> McCLIM is currently available for Allegro CL, CMUCL, LispWorks,
> OpenMCL and SBCL. I guess it has been tested only on Unix-like
> operating systems.

In theory it could work with cygwin's XFree86 (which, I guess, makes
Windows a special kind of unix-like) and with a "normal" Windows X
server like XWin32 or Exceed. Has anyone bothered to try?

--
Rahul Jain
·····@nyct.net
From: Robert STRANDH
Hello,

Rodolphe Saugier <················@ircam.fr> writes:

> Here at IRCAM we are experimenting strategies to port OpenMusic,
> a visual programming environment dedicated to music, from
> MCL on Mac to Allegro Common Lisp on Windows, MacOSX & maybe Linux.
>
> What multi-platform GUI toolkit would you recommend us ?
> (I know it's a complicated question...)

I would recommend CLIM.  It is as close as you can come to a standard
GUI toolkit for Common Lisp.  There are commercial versions of CLIM
for MCL and Allegro, and the free McCLIM implementation works fine on
Linux and Macintosh (but not yet on Windows).

Most readers of c.l.l probably do not know that we have a small,
informal work group between IRCAM (Paris), Grame (Lyon), and LaBRI
(Bordeaux), created at the initiative of Grame, which is interested in
all kinds of aspects of representing written music.  This group has
met once in Lyon and once in Paris.

The next meeting is kind of planned for around beginning of March in
Lyon.  At that meeting, I was hoping to demonstrate my progress on
Gsharp, the score editor written in Common Lisp and using CLIM as its
"GUI toolkit".  OpenMusic needs some of the same functionality as
Gsharp does.

It would be interesting then to discuss what part of Gsharp you could
use for OpenMusic, and (if you decide to go for CLIM) how we could
pool development resources.

The center of activity for McCLIM development is currently located in
Bordeaux (his name is Tim Moore :->), so it would be entirely feasible
to at least discuss specific development in order to implement
functionality particularly urgent to get OpenMusic to work.

--
Robert Strandh
From: Edi Weitz
On 30 Jan 2004 19:03:19 +0100, Robert STRANDH <·······@labri.fr> wrote:

> I would recommend CLIM.  It is as close as you can come to a
> standard GUI toolkit for Common Lisp.  There are commercial versions
> of CLIM for MCL and Allegro

and LispWorks - included at no extra cost with the Professional
Edition.

Edi.
From: Robert STRANDH
Edi Weitz <···@agharta.de> writes:

> On 30 Jan 2004 19:03:19 +0100, Robert STRANDH <·······@labri.fr> wrote:
>
> > I would recommend CLIM.  It is as close as you can come to a
> > standard GUI toolkit for Common Lisp.  There are commercial versions
> > of CLIM for MCL and Allegro
>
> and LispWorks - included at no extra cost with the Professional
> Edition.

Right.  Sorry for that unfortunate omission.

--
Robert Strandh