From: frr
Subject: Documentation for Concordia and similar projects
Hi,

I have to write a document creation system that outputs rtf (or MS Word).  I
already checked out cl-pdf, but since I haven't found any good pdf->rtf
conversion utilities and rtf has far more limitations than pdf, I think I'll
have to write my own stuff.

I'm currently looking for similar projects in Lisp for inspiration (I'm at
design stage right now) and I want this to be _really_ well designed and
maintainable. It should substitute a horrendous system, written in vb/c++,
that is a nightmare to use and maintain.

I've read something about a product by Symbolics called Concordia (it's
briefly mentioned in Keene's book). Where can I find more info about it?

I'm interested in the design of the higher-level layer (something more like
Latex then Tex) of a document creation system.  I think Kenny wrote something
like that using cells, so maybe I should take a look at cells too...

From: Paolo Amoroso
frr <······@telefonica.net> writes:

> I've read something about a product by Symbolics called Concordia (it's
> briefly mentioned in Keene's book). Where can I find more info about it?

If you have access to a local computer science department's library, I
suggest that you search its catalog for the string "concordia". The
ACM online library may also turn useful hits.

This is how I found a few papers on the system some time ago. I still
have the references, but they are buried under a pile of other
stuff. If you really have difficulties in finding them, contact me
again.

Paolo

P.S.
You might also want to investigate Xerox NoteCards, written in
Interlisp.
From: Rahul Jain
frr <······@telefonica.net> writes:

> I'm currently looking for similar projects in Lisp for inspiration (I'm at
> design stage right now) and I want this to be _really_ well designed and
> maintainable. It should substitute a horrendous system, written in vb/c++,
> that is a nightmare to use and maintain.

This is exactly the kind of thing I want DefDoc to be. It's on
common-lisp.net, but only as source; I haven't gotten a chance to really
put up a web page about it. I'd love to get some input about what I've
done so far.

--
Rahul Jain
·····@nyct.net
From: frr
On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 02:05:02 -0500, Rahul Jain <·····@nyct.net> wrote:

>frr <······@telefonica.net> writes:
>
>> I'm currently looking for similar projects in Lisp for inspiration (I'm at
>> design stage right now) and I want this to be _really_ well designed and
>> maintainable. It should substitute a horrendous system, written in vb/c++,
>> that is a nightmare to use and maintain.
>
>This is exactly the kind of thing I want DefDoc to be. It's on
>common-lisp.net, but only as source;

I tried to download the source, but couldn't find it neither through cvs nor
ftp. :-?

Maybe I'm doing something wrong...
From: Rahul Jain
frr <······@telefonica.net> writes:

[about defdoc]
> I tried to download the source, but couldn't find it neither through cvs nor
> ftp. :-?

It's in the CVS repo. Go to the viewcvs page and choose defdoc from the
dropdown.