From: Lars Brinkhoff
Subject: Sunstone LispM
Dave Dyer's "A Brief History of Lisp Machines" at
  http://www.andromeda.com/people/ddyer/lisp/
mentions that Symbolics planned a new Lisp machine called Sunstone.
I haven't been able to find any information about it.  Anyone know
any details?

--
Lars Brinkhoff,         Services for Unix, Linux, GCC, HTTP
Brinkhoff Consulting    http://www.brinkhoff.se/

From: Carl Shapiro
Subject: Re: Sunstone LispM
(hearsay follows)

Sunstone was designed by Ron Lebel's group at the Symbolics Westwood
office.  It was a RISC-like processor that was to be released shortly
after the Ivory.  However, the project was canceled well before it
taped out.  There are a few people out there who have an ISA manual
for the Sunstone; I have been trying for quite some time to get my
hands on this document.
From: Chris Vogt
Carl Shapiro wrote:

> (hearsay follows)
>
> Sunstone was designed by Ron Lebel's group at the Symbolics Westwood
> office.  It was a RISC-like processor that was to be released shortly
> after the Ivory.  However, the project was canceled well before it
> taped out.

Actually, we got laid off the day we were supposed to tape out.  NREs
were pretty expensive.

From: Petter Gustad
Chris Vogt <ยทยทยทยท@cox.net> writes:

> Actually, we got laid off the day we were supposed to tape out. NREs
> were pretty expensive.

It's worse today. ASIC NRE at $1M is not uncommon today. However, the
design/verification cost for a chip of that level of complexity is
probably more.

Petter
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.