From: Martin Raspaud
Subject: music and lisp ?
Hi all lisp wizzards ;-)

Just a simple question for you people :

I'd like to control my soundcard from lisp in order to play samples of a
wav file. I'm using cmucl/linux and in C I would use ioctl() to set the
parameters of the soundcard.
So is there such a thing in lisp, or anything that would allow me to do
what I want to do ? (without using any external program or alien function)

Thanks for any answer you might give

Martin

From: Henrik Motakef
Subject: Re: music and lisp ?
Martin Raspaud <········@labri.fr> writes:

> I'd like to control my soundcard from lisp in order to play samples of
> a wav file. I'm using cmucl/linux and in C I would use ioctl() to set
> the parameters of the soundcard.
> So is there such a thing in lisp, or anything that would allow me to
> do what I want to do ? (without using any external program or alien
> function)

CMUCL has a unix:unix-ioctl function that probably does what you
want. Of course, internally this will use an alien function; I don't
think you'll find anything portable.
From: Lupo LeBoucher
In article <············@news.u-bordeaux.fr>,
Martin Raspaud  <········@labri.fr> wrote:
>Hi all lisp wizzards ;-)
>
>Just a simple question for you people :
>
>I'd like to control my soundcard from lisp in order to play samples of a
>wav file. I'm using cmucl/linux and in C I would use ioctl() to set the
>parameters of the soundcard.
>So is there such a thing in lisp, or anything that would allow me to do
>what I want to do ? (without using any external program or alien function)

I always thought this was kind of cool:

http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/software/snd/snd/clm.html

Maybee it will help (I haven't looked in detail to see if ioctl()
thingees are in there).

-Lupo
"He that hath wife and children hath given hostages to fortune; for they
are impediments to great enterprises, either of virtue or mischief."
--Francis Bacon                                    <··@dillenger.io.com>
From: Martin Raspaud
Lupo LeBoucher wrote:
> In article <············@news.u-bordeaux.fr>,
> Martin Raspaud  <········@labri.fr> wrote:
>
>>Hi all lisp wizzards ;-)
>>
>>Just a simple question for you people :
>>
>>I'd like to control my soundcard from lisp in order to play samples of a
>>wav file. I'm using cmucl/linux and in C I would use ioctl() to set the
>>parameters of the soundcard.
>>So is there such a thing in lisp, or anything that would allow me to do
>>what I want to do ? (without using any external program or alien function)
>

> I always thought this was kind of cool:
>
> http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/software/snd/snd/clm.html
>
> Maybee it will help (I haven't looked in detail to see if ioctl()
> thingees are in there).

According to me, CLM uses alien C functions to play sounds...

Martin
From: Kenny Tilton
Martin Raspaud wrote:

> Lupo LeBoucher wrote:
> > In article <············@news.u-bordeaux.fr>,
> > Martin Raspaud  <········@labri.fr> wrote:
> >
> >>Hi all lisp wizzards ;-)
> >>
> >>Just a simple question for you people :
> >>
> >>I'd like to control my soundcard from lisp in order to play samples of a
> >>wav file. I'm using cmucl/linux and in C I would use ioctl() to set the
> >>parameters of the soundcard.
> >>So is there such a thing in lisp, or anything that would allow me to do
> >>what I want to do ? (without using any external program or alien function)
> >

> > I always thought this was kind of cool:
> >
> > http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/software/snd/snd/clm.html
> >
> > Maybee it will help (I haven't looked in detail to see if ioctl()
> > thingees are in there).
>
> According to me, CLM uses alien C functions to play sounds...

Yep. When you Lisp-compile an instrument, it writes out C code, builds
it into a DLL via your C compiler, then loads the DLL. I had to write a
function to unload the DLL from ACL (two minutes) so I could work
iteratively.

kenny

--

 http://www.tilton-technology.com/
"[If anyone really has healing powers,] I would like to call