From: Adam Warner
Subject: syntax type of a character
Hello all,

From the ANSI Common Lisp Glossary:

   syntax type n. (of a character) one of several classifications,
   enumerated in Figure 2-6, that are used for dispatch during parsing by
   the Lisp reader. See Section 2.1.4 (Character Syntax Types).

Is there any portable way for a custom Lisp reader to determine the syntax
type of a character that has been redefined? For example say #\! has been
redefined as a non-terminating macro character. Can the custom reader
discover this in a portable way instead of treating #\! as a constituent
character?

Thanks,
Adam

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: syntax type of a character
In article <·····························@consulting.net.nz>,
 Adam Warner <······@consulting.net.nz> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> From the ANSI Common Lisp Glossary:
>
>    syntax type n. (of a character) one of several classifications,
>    enumerated in Figure 2-6, that are used for dispatch during parsing by
>    the Lisp reader. See Section 2.1.4 (Character Syntax Types).
>
> Is there any portable way for a custom Lisp reader to determine the syntax
> type of a character that has been redefined? For example say #\! has been
> redefined as a non-terminating macro character. Can the custom reader
> discover this in a portable way instead of treating #\! as a constituent
> character?

No, there's no standard way to get the syntax of a character.  If it's a
macro you can get the macro function, but that's it.  The only other
thing you can do is copy the syntax of one character to another.

--
Barry Margolin, ······@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
From: Adam Warner
Hi Barry Margolin,

> No, there's no standard way to get the syntax of a character.  If it's a
> macro you can get the macro function, but that's it.  The only other
> thing you can do is copy the syntax of one character to another.

Thanks Barry. While I hoped I'd overlooked something this is as I
expected.

Regards,
Adam