From: Terry Carroll
Subject: Intro book recommendations?
I'm looking for a good simple introductory book to Common Lisp; maybe
something that's the Lisp equivalent to the Kernighan & Richie C book.

I'm not looking to become a Lisp developer, but I would like to play with
it just a little bit, just to get a feel for the language.

I've found numerous web sites, linked from
http://www.lisp.org/alu/res-lisp-education.clp, but for learning something
new, I really like to just sit down with a physical book where I can flip
pages back and forth.

Suggestions welcome.

From: Thomas F. Burdick
Subject: Re: Intro book recommendations?
Terry Carroll <·······@tjc.com> writes:

> I'm looking for a good simple introductory book to Common Lisp; maybe
> something that's the Lisp equivalent to the Kernighan & Richie C book.
>
> I'm not looking to become a Lisp developer, but I would like to play with
> it just a little bit, just to get a feel for the language.
>
> I've found numerous web sites, linked from
> http://www.lisp.org/alu/res-lisp-education.clp, but for learning something
> new, I really like to just sit down with a physical book where I can flip
> pages back and forth.
>
> Suggestions welcome.

You could do worse than Paul Graham's _ANSI Common Lisp_, or
Touretzky's _Common Lisp: a gentle introduction..._.  The main
downside of those two is that you won't learn about CL's object
system, which is probably the most powerful object system around.
Keene's _Object-Oriented Programming in Common Lisp_ is supposed to be
good, too.

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |
From: Kaz Kylheku
Terry Carroll <·······@tjc.com> wrote in message news:<··································@4ax.com>...
> I'm looking for a good simple introductory book to Common Lisp; maybe
> something that's the Lisp equivalent to the Kernighan & Richie C book.
>
> I'm not looking to become a Lisp developer, but I would like to play with
> it just a little bit, just to get a feel for the language.
>
> I've found numerous web sites, linked from
> http://www.lisp.org/alu/res-lisp-education.clp, but for learning something
> new, I really like to just sit down with a physical book where I can flip
> pages back and forth.

Did you notice that some of the references there are in fact to books?
You can dump these to a two-sided printer, bind the sheets together
and there you have it.
From: Ryan Kaulakis

>> I'm looking for a good simple introductory book to Common Lisp; maybe
>> something that's the Lisp equivalent to the Kernighan & Richie C book.
>>
>> I'm not looking to become a Lisp developer, but I would like to play with
>> it just a little bit, just to get a feel for the language.
>>
>> I've found numerous web sites, linked from
>> http://www.lisp.org/alu/res-lisp-education.clp, but for learning something
>> new, I really like to just sit down with a physical book where I can flip
>> pages back and forth.
>
> Did you notice that some of the references there are in fact to books?
> You can dump these to a two-sided printer, bind the sheets together
> and there you have it.
Someone mentioned a while back that (as many as) 4 new CL books are being
published this year. Perhaps you could try one of those out?

I don't remember the names/publishers/websites of all of them, but I
know that one is "Practical Common Lisp" by Peter Seibel from Apress
Publishing. He has kindly put the text up for public review on
http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/ and it seems like quite a good intro to
CL.

Hopefully some kindly reader will post the remaining 3 titles/links for
you.

Good Luck,
Ryan Kaulakis
From: Lars Brinkhoff
Ryan Kaulakis <······@psu.edu> writes:
> "Practical Common Lisp" by Peter Seibel from Apress
>
> Hopefully some kindly reader will post the remaining 3 titles/links for
> you.

"On Lisp" by Paul Graham (reprint)
"Successful Lisp" by David Lamkins
"The ANSI Common Lisp Reference Book" by David Margolies

--
Lars Brinkhoff,         Services for Unix, Linux, GCC, HTTP
Brinkhoff Consulting    http://www.brinkhoff.se/
From: frr
On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 23:38:00 GMT, Terry Carroll <·······@tjc.com> wrote:

>I've found numerous web sites, linked from
>http://www.lisp.org/alu/res-lisp-education.clp, but for learning something
>new, I really like to just sit down with a physical book where I can flip
>pages back and forth.
>
>Suggestions welcome.

"Lisp" Winston
"ANSI Common Lisp" Graham