From: Randy Yates
Subject: Lisp Beginner: Please Give Me Some Hints
Hello,

Yes, I'm begging for help. Feel free to ignore, but help is
much welcome.

I am using XEmacs 21.4.13 (native win32). I want to write a function
that returns a buffer (not an XEmacs buffer, but just a few lines
of text) of text by doing the following:

  1. Get a directory listing of files in a specified directory into a list
  in which each element is a file name.
  2. Index into this list randomly and choose one of the filenames.
  3. Open the file into a buffer. Note that each file will have N
  lines, N a constant.
  4. Append a static amount of text consisting also of N lines to the
  buffer, in the same way as "yank-rectangle"

I've got the very rudiments of lisp down, but constructing this level of
a function has got me stumped. For example, what command will get the
directory files into a list?

Again, any help is appreciated.
--
%  Randy Yates                  % "...the answer lies within your soul
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %       'cause no one knows which side

From: rydis (Martin Rydstr|m) @CD.Chalmers.SE
Subject: Re: Lisp Beginner: Please Give Me Some Hints
Randy Yates <·····@ieee.org> writes:
> Hello,
>
> Yes, I'm begging for help. Feel free to ignore, but help is
> much welcome.
>
> I am using XEmacs 21.4.13 (native win32). I want to write a function
> that returns a buffer (not an XEmacs buffer, but just a few lines
> of text) of text by doing the following:

This really would be more on-topic in comp.emacs.

>   1. Get a directory listing of files in a specified directory into a list
>   in which each element is a file name.

directory-files

>   2. Index into this list randomly and choose one of the filenames.

nth

>   3. Open the file into a buffer. Note that each file will have N
>   lines, N a constant.

find-file(-noselect)

>   4. Append a static amount of text consisting also of N lines to the
>   buffer, in the same way as "yank-rectangle"

insert

Regards,

'mr

--
[Emacs] is written in Lisp, which is the only computer language that is
beautiful.  -- Neal Stephenson, _In the Beginning was the Command Line_
From: Randy Yates
rydis (Martin Rydstr|m) @CD.Chalmers.SE writes:

> [...]

Beautiful! Thanks much, Martin!!