From: Kenny Tilton
Subject: Lispworks CAPI Headscarf Portability?
Yo, anybody have any hearsay to offer on the portability of LW CAPI apps
between win32 and Mac OS X? Small amounts of pain are tolerable.

kt

--
http://tilton-technology.com

From: Marco Antoniotti
Subject: Re: Lispworks CAPI Headscarf Portability?
Very portable.  Little pain (some caveats with color issues).  Same for
Linux (a little more pain due to Motif)

Kenny Tilton wrote:
> Yo, anybody have any hearsay to offer on the portability of LW CAPI apps
> between win32 and Mac OS X? Small amounts of pain are tolerable.
>
> kt

Cheers
--
Marco
From: Bulent Murtezaoglu

    KT> Yo, anybody have any hearsay to offer on the portability of LW
    KT> CAPI apps between win32 and Mac OS X? Small amounts of pain
    KT> are tolerable.

I can report that it has been no pain whatsoever to go between LW Linux
and Win32 for 2D graphical apps.  Likewise for simple Opengl APPs.  I
develop on Linux and it has been just compile dump and ship (to testers
not the end client) on Windows.  (I have not tried extensive font use and
printing etc. though)

There, not hearsay and not OT but not an answer to your precise question
either.

cheers,

BM
From: Brian Mastenbrook
In article <·······················@twister.nyc.rr.com>, Kenny Tilton
<·······@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

> Yo, anybody have any hearsay to offer on the portability of LW CAPI apps
> between win32 and Mac OS X? Small amounts of pain are tolerable.
>
> kt

I hate to ask, but why do you have "headscarf" in the title?

--
Brian Mastenbrook
http://www.cs.indiana.edu/~bmastenb/
From: Gareth McCaughan
Brian Mastenbrook <····················@cs.indiana.edu> writes:

> In article <·······················@twister.nyc.rr.com>, Kenny Tilton
> <·······@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > Yo, anybody have any hearsay to offer on the portability of LW CAPI apps
> > between win32 and Mac OS X? Small amounts of pain are tolerable.
> >
> > kt
>
> I hate to ask, but why do you have "headscarf" in the title?

In mockery of an off-topic thread that sprouted from a
discussion of the controversial decision recently taken
in France to forbid Muslim schoolgirls to wear the
headscarves that their religion says they have to.

--
Gareth McCaughan
.sig under construc
From: Marc Spitzer
Gareth McCaughan <················@pobox.com> writes:

> Brian Mastenbrook <····················@cs.indiana.edu> writes:
>
>> In article <·······················@twister.nyc.rr.com>, Kenny Tilton
>> <·······@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Yo, anybody have any hearsay to offer on the portability of LW CAPI apps
>> > between win32 and Mac OS X? Small amounts of pain are tolerable.
>> >
>> > kt
>>
>> I hate to ask, but why do you have "headscarf" in the title?
>
> In mockery of an off-topic thread that sprouted from a
> discussion of the controversial decision recently taken
> in France to forbid Muslim schoolgirls to wear the
> headscarves that their religion says they have to.

Their religion does not say that they need to wear head scarves, from
what I have read anyway.  What I have read stated that the scarves
appeared in Lebanon in the 70's to identify women as belonging to one
of the local factions.  The funniest thing I read about it was the
inventors statement that he modeled it on the headgear of a Nun's
habit, hat did not seem to be the right word.

With that said Islam does require women to dress modestly, but
so does Judaism and I believe Christianity.

marc
From: Michael Hudson
Marc Spitzer <········@optonline.net> writes:

> Gareth McCaughan <················@pobox.com> writes:
>
> > Brian Mastenbrook <····················@cs.indiana.edu> writes:

> >> I hate to ask, but why do you have "headscarf" in the title?
> >
> > In mockery of an off-topic thread that sprouted from a
> > discussion of the controversial decision recently taken
> > in France to forbid Muslim schoolgirls to wear the
> > headscarves that their religion says they have to.
>
> Their religion ...

Please!  Lets keep the off-topic stuff where my score file can find it!

Cheers,
mwh

--
  THEOS: Mad cow. Utterly fucking insane cow, in fact. A cow so
  mad it thinks it's a tetapot. The swamp dragon of the OS world.
From: Espen Vestre
Michael Hudson <···@python.net> writes:

> Please!  Lets keep the off-topic stuff where my score file can find it!

Just imagine the it's all about call/cc, and you're on topic again ;-)
--
  (espen)
From: Sebastian Stern
Espen Vestre:
> Michael Hudson <···@python.net> writes:
> > Please!  Lets keep the off-topic stuff where my score file can find it!
>
> Just imagine the it's all about call/cc, and you're on topic again ;-)

"In mockery of an off-topic thread that sprouted from a
discussion of the controversial decision recently taken
in France to forbid Muslim schoolgirls to use call/cc
that their religion says they have to."

;-)

--
Sebastian Stern

"Freedom is the freedom to say (= (+ 2 2) 4). If that is granted, all else follows."
From: Edi Weitz
On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 15:22:40 GMT, Kenny Tilton <·······@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

> Yo, anybody have any hearsay to offer on the portability of LW CAPI
> apps between win32 and Mac OS X? Small amounts of pain are
> tolerable.

This one

  <http://weitz.de/regex-coach/>

has exactly the same code base for Win32 and Linux except for one line
which is setting a font. I compiled it with a time-limited evaluation
version for OS X and it worked out of the box on that platform except
for a tricky timing issue which I didn't have the time to debug. (Mind
you, I'm using some undocumented CAPI features so it's most likely not
Xanalys' fault.)

It looks to me as if Xanalys is promising a real cross-platform GUI
and they adhere to their promise.

Edi.
From: Espen Vestre

> Yo, anybody have any hearsay to offer on the portability of LW CAPI
> apps between win32 and Mac OS X? Small amounts of pain are tolerable.

I use very little time on cross-platform issues for my PrimeTrader
application (which runs on Windows, linux and mac), I spend 99% of the
coding time in linux.  For the mac version, I added a few #+darwins to
make the menu structure for each window be similar (makes it more
macish) and I had a little trouble due to the fact that interfaces all
run in one thread on mac os x (I got a deadlock because one window was
waiting for another to do something).
--
  (espen)
From: Kenny Tilton
Thanks everyone. Sounds excellent. The menus thing is not too surprising
given the different approaches between Mac OS X and win32.

kt