From: Jeff Katcher
Subject: Any Suggestions for Someone Who Dislikes Emacs?
I like Common Lisp a lot and am increasingly comfortable solving
problems with it and even thinking in it.  However, I'm not very fond
of Emacs (not to impune anyone's choice; it's just not my thing) and
miss the automatic smoothness I have with vi.  It's not that bad
moving back and forth from editor to listener (using CLISP
command-line editing/completion/history is a godsend), but using
CMUCL/SBCL this way is not much fun.  Are there any other Emacs-phobes
out there?

Jeff Katcher

P.S. I know about VIPER, but it's still the same juggernaut with
another set of key bindings...

From: Darius
On 3 Jan 2004 15:23:44 -0800
·········@yahoo.com (Jeff Katcher) wrote:

> I like Common Lisp a lot and am increasingly comfortable solving
> problems with it and even thinking in it.  However, I'm not very fond
> of Emacs (not to impune anyone's choice; it's just not my thing) and
> miss the automatic smoothness I have with vi.  It's not that bad
> moving back and forth from editor to listener (using CLISP
> command-line editing/completion/history is a godsend), but using
> CMUCL/SBCL this way is not much fun.  Are there any other Emacs-phobes
> out there?

If you're not opposed to vim, you may want to look at vimsh (search
vim.org).  I hacked it up quite a bit and the result was pretty useable
with CLISP and other interpreters.  I sent the modified files to vimsh's
maintainer, but I don't think he's updated the vim.org entry yet.  If he
hasn't you can try emailing him and failing that you could email me
though my version is fairly personalized.  It could still use some
hacking, but it hasn't been enough to motivate me to bother yet.
From: David Golden
Jeff Katcher wrote:

> I like Common Lisp a lot and am increasingly comfortable solving
> problems with it and even thinking in it.  However, I'm not very fond
> of Emacs (not to impune anyone's choice; it's just not my thing) and
> miss the automatic smoothness I have with vi.  It's not that bad
> moving back and forth from editor to listener (using CLISP
> command-line editing/completion/history is a godsend), but using
> CMUCL/SBCL this way is not much fun.  Are there any other Emacs-phobes
> out there?

Well, CMUCL comes with Hemlock, a (relatively-)thin emacsoid
in common lisp, that does feel a fair bit different to gnu emacs.

But something strikes me about your post:
"moving back and forth from editor to listener" - "CLISP command line
editing a godsend" - "CMUCL/SBCL not much fun". Just to check, because it
almost sounds like you might have missed them, but maybe I'm just reading
into things:

You are using ILISP or SLIME as your interface to CMUCL under emacs, right?

If you are not using ILISP or SLIME with emacs, I can well imagine
emacs+cmucl/sbcl feeling a little unwieldy.
From: Edi Weitz
On 3 Jan 2004 15:23:44 -0800, ·········@yahoo.com (Jeff Katcher) wrote:

> I like Common Lisp a lot and am increasingly comfortable solving
> problems with it and even thinking in it.  However, I'm not very
> fond of Emacs (not to impune anyone's choice; it's just not my
> thing) and miss the automatic smoothness I have with vi.  It's not
> that bad moving back and forth from editor to listener (using CLISP
> command-line editing/completion/history is a godsend), but using
> CMUCL/SBCL this way is not much fun.  Are there any other
> Emacs-phobes out there?

I can only recommend to use Emacs with ILISP or SLIME but if you
insist on using an inferior editor and want to have command-line
editing features similar to CLISP (although not as dynamic) try this:

  <http://weitz.de/completions.html>

Edi.
From: David Steuber
I don't know if this will ease your pain or not:

created by
Larry Clapp

script type
utility

description

I figured I could skip Emacs if I could figure out how to get Vim to
talk to Lisp.  I've implemented the absolute basics -- sending an
expression from the editor to the interpreter -- and hope to do more,
as time goes by.

VIlisp.vim defines functions and key mappings to send Lisp code to a
CMU CL process running in a seperate terminal window, via
funnel.pl.  funnel.pl, a Perl script, accepts input both from Vim (via
a fifo, which it creates) and from its own terminal window (via GNU
ReadLine), and sends it to CMU CL, and prints the output (via "print"
:).

It might be possible to use this with SBCL as well.

--
   One Emacs to rule them all.  One Emacs to find them,
   One Emacs to take commands and to the keystrokes bind them,

All other programming languages wish they were Lisp.
From: Jeff Katcher
I appreciate the suggestions and will look into vilisp (which is
something I thought I'd have to write myself).

I am reasonably familiar with ILISP and SLIME, but I just don't like
Emacs.  I've installed it and uninstalled it countless times over the
last decade, each time promising that this time would be it.  I end up
trapped in a sequence of nested minor modes all alike.  I don't doubt
the power and flexibility of Emacs, but find it all so obtrusive.  The
GUI actually makes things worse.  The Emacs clones in MCL and
LispWorks are actually improved with their respective GUIs and are
very usable (someday, maybe I'll purchase one of them).

Jeff Katcher
From: Thomas F. Burdick
·········@yahoo.com (Jeff Katcher) writes:

> I appreciate the suggestions and will look into vilisp (which is
> something I thought I'd have to write myself).
>
> I am reasonably familiar with ILISP and SLIME, but I just don't like
> Emacs.  I've installed it and uninstalled it countless times over the
> last decade, each time promising that this time would be it.  I end up
> trapped in a sequence of nested minor modes all alike.  I don't doubt
> the power and flexibility of Emacs, but find it all so obtrusive.  The
> GUI actually makes things worse.  The Emacs clones in MCL and
> LispWorks are actually improved with their respective GUIs and are
> very usable (someday, maybe I'll purchase one of them).

Hmm, so you don't mind Emacs per se, just (GNU|X)Emacs.  Have you
tried Hemlock?  ( plug: http://www.cliki.net/GettingStartedWithHemlock )

--
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |