From: Robert
Subject: Windows version
A friend of mine keeps sending me Lisp information so I thought I would
check it out. What is the best "free" version available for Windows (XP to
be exact).

Bob

From: Thomas F. Burdick
Subject: Re: Windows version
"Robert" <····@linuxmail.org> writes:

> A friend of mine keeps sending me Lisp information so I thought I would
> check it out. What is the best "free" version available for Windows (XP to
> be exact).

Without knowing your background, it's hard to say.  The easiest way to
get started is probably to get the Allegro trial &/or LispWorks
Personal Edition.

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |
From: Pascal Costanza
Robert wrote:

> A friend of mine keeps sending me Lisp information so I thought I would
> check it out. What is the best "free" version available for Windows (XP to
> be exact).

See http://alu.cliki.net/Implementation

Trial versions of commercial Lisps are also generally very good.

"best" depends on too many factors.

Pascal

--
Tyler: "How's that working out for you?"
Jack: "Great."
From: Kenny Tilton
Robert wrote:
> A friend of mine keeps sending me Lisp information so I thought I would
> check it out. What is the best "free" version available for Windows (XP to
> be exact).

If a trial version satisfies "free", Allegro CL has the superior IDE.

kt

--
http://tilton-technology.com

From: Barry Wilkes

> Robert wrote:
>> A friend of mine keeps sending me Lisp information so I thought I would
>> check it out. What is the best "free" version available for Windows (XP to
>> be exact).
>
> If a trial version satisfies "free", Allegro CL has the superior IDE.

A highly subjective assessment, and one I disagree with.  I personally prefer
the LispWorks IDE, which comes with a very impressive set of well integrated
tools.  In particular, I think that the new graphical stepper in LW 4.3 is very
nice.

Barry.
From: Marc Battyani
"Barry Wilkes" <·······@acm.org> wrote
> A highly subjective assessment, and one I disagree with.  I personally
prefer
> the LispWorks IDE, which comes with a very impressive set of well
integrated
> tools.  In particular, I think that the new graphical stepper in LW 4.3 is
very
> nice.

I don't know the ACL IDE so I can't compare but I really do like the
Lispworks IDE and the Windows/Linux compatibility is great.

Marc
From: Kenny Tilton
Barry Wilkes wrote:

> Kenny Tilton <·······@nyc.rr.com> writes:
>

>>Robert wrote:
>>
>>>A friend of mine keeps sending me Lisp information so I thought I would
>>>check it out. What is the best "free" version available for Windows (XP to
>>>be exact).
>>
>>If a trial version satisfies "free", Allegro CL has the superior IDE.
>>

> A highly subjective assessment,

Not so. Every chance I get I ask LW fans what they think of the IDE. You
are the first to speak up for it. So...

>  I personally prefer
> the LispWorks IDE,...

Have you found a way to drive the thing from the keyboard instead of
with the mouse? What about output going to a different tab, so you have
select that tab to find out what just happened?

I'd consider LW because of CAPIs portability and the absence of runtime
licensing fees, but I cannot work with that IDE.

kt

--
http://tilton-technology.com

From: Matthew Danish
On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 05:45:33PM +0000, Kenny Tilton wrote:
> > I personally prefer
> >the LispWorks IDE,...
> Have you found a way to drive the thing from the keyboard instead of
> with the mouse? What about output going to a different tab, so you have
> select that tab to find out what just happened?

Ctrl-TAB.  I personally find LispWorks's keyboard support to be superior
to that of Allegro, perhaps I am biased by the better support for
Emacs-like keybindings, but I could never quite figure out the Allegro
keys.

--
; Matthew Danish <·······@andrew.cmu.edu>
; Signed or encrypted mail welcome.
From: Coby Beck
"Matthew Danish" <·······@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote in message
···························@mapcar.org...
> On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 05:45:33PM +0000, Kenny Tilton wrote:
> > Have you found a way to drive the thing from the keyboard instead of
> > with the mouse? What about output going to a different tab, so you have
> > select that tab to find out what just happened?
>
> Ctrl-TAB.  I personally find LispWorks's keyboard support to be superior

Hmm..Ctrl-TAB will cycle through my LW
windows, -editor->listener->inspector->editor etc.  But unless the Output
tab is already selected, how do you see it?  That said, you can
<Tools->Clone> and editor window, bring the Output tab to the front in that
one and then keep it there for viewing via Ctrl-TAB.

I think I'll start doing that, Kenny's complaint has been a small thorn in
my side for a while too.  It is probably possible to redirect output to the
listener stream...but I have vague recollections of exploring that idea and
not being successful for some reason (maybe my own ignorance)
From: Barry Wilkes
"Coby Beck" <·····@mercury.bc.ca> writes:

> Hmm..Ctrl-TAB will cycle through my LW
> windows, -editor->listener->inspector->editor etc.  But unless the Output
> tab is already selected, how do you see it?  That said, you can
> <Tools->Clone> and editor window, bring the Output tab to the front in that
> one and then keep it there for viewing via Ctrl-TAB.

Take a look at the 'Output Browser' tool.  This would seem to be just what you
want.

Barry.
From: Coby Beck
"Barry Wilkes" <·······@acm.org> wrote in message
·················@acm.org...
> "Coby Beck" <·····@mercury.bc.ca> writes:
> >
> > Hmm..Ctrl-TAB will cycle through my LW
> > windows, -editor->listener->inspector->editor etc.  But unless the
Output
> > tab is already selected, how do you see it?  That said, you can
> > <Tools->Clone> and editor window, bring the Output tab to the front in
that
> > one and then keep it there for viewing via Ctrl-TAB.
>
> Take a look at the 'Output Browser' tool.  This would seem to be just what
you
> want.

Thanks, it is.  I love learning "new" things I used to know some years
ago...

--
Coby Beck
(remove #\Space "coby 101 @ big pond . com")
From: Andreas Hinze
Coby Beck wrote:

> Thanks, it is.  I love learning "new" things I used to know some years
> ago...

Just for completeness: The output window will also show any output that
is printed at "invisible" locations (i.e. from a (format ...) in a capi
interface). Very nice for debugging :-)

Regards
AHz
From: Barry Wilkes
> Not so. Every chance I get I ask LW fans what they think of the IDE. You are
> the first to speak up for it. So...
>
>>  I personally prefer
>> the LispWorks IDE,...
>
> Have you found a way to drive the thing from the keyboard instead of with the
> mouse? What about output going to a different tab, so you have select that tab
> to find out what just happened?

You are right, I have never been able to select a different tab without using
the mouse.  It is a bit of an irritent, but for me the other features of
the IDE more than make up for it.  For example, I tend to leave a 'Compilation
conditions' window open all the time which is amazingly useful during
development.  But, it displays its information in a tree view, which really
needs the mouse to traverse it easily.  I guess I just don't mind using the
mouse as much as you seem to.

Barry.
From: David E. Young
Barry Wilkes <·······@acm.org> wrote in message news:<············@acm.org>...

> A highly subjective assessment, and one I disagree with.  I personally prefer
> the LispWorks IDE, which comes with a very impressive set of well integrated
> tools.  In particular, I think that the new graphical stepper in LW 4.3 is very
> nice.
>
> Barry.

I concur. The LW environment is very nice.

David.
From: Ralph Richard Cook
Allegro CL may have a superior IDE, but the trial version of LispWorks
allows for more heap. With ACL I can't load asdf then compile the
Portable Perl Compatible Regular Expression library, but I can with
LW.