From: William Paul Vrotney
Subject: Announcing new public release of Lpp 1.21
A new Lpp 1.21 has been released and is available for download at

        http://www.interhack.net/projects/lpp

Lpp now has been auto-tooled, so it should configure and make on most OS's.
This new version has even more added Common Lisp like functionality,
including true rational numbers (ranging between minus and plus infinity).
Yes, and Lpp still provides a very small and fast executable.

                               Short Overview

   Lpp (Lisp Plus Plus), is a library of Lisp like functions and macros
usable in C++ programs.  The philosophy behind Lpp is to provide as
close as possible the semantics and style of Lisp rather than try to
force it to fit a static style of programming.  Lpp tries to emulate
Common Lisp as much as possible in this regard.  By doing things this
way part of the true power and flexibility of Lisp can coexist and mix
with the static typing features of C++ even within functions and
objects.  The hope is that Lpp will be useful for the following

   * Porting Lisp programs to and from C++.

   * Implementation of embedded AI sub-systems in C++ environments.

   * An alternative for Lisp programmers who need to program in C++.

   * When a C++ program needs dynamically typed objects.

   * When a C++ program needs an efficient unified list implementation.

   * When a C++ program needs rational numbers in the range of minus to
     plus infinity.

   * When a C++ program needs to do symbolic processing such as
     manipulating s-expressions, symbolic math, etc ...

--
William P. Vrotney - ·······@earthlink.net

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Announcing new public release of Lpp 1.21
William Paul Vrotney <·······@earthlink.net> writes:
> A new Lpp 1.21 has been released and is available for download at
>
>         http://www.interhack.net/projects/lpp
>
>                                Short Overview
>
>    Lpp (Lisp Plus Plus), is a library of Lisp like functions and macros
> usable in C++ programs.  The philosophy behind Lpp is to provide as
> close as possible the semantics and style of Lisp rather than try to
> force it to fit a static style of programming.  Lpp tries to emulate
> Common Lisp as much as possible in this regard.  By doing things this
> way part of the true power and flexibility of Lisp can coexist and mix
> with the static typing features of C++ even within functions and
> objects.  The hope is that Lpp will be useful for the following

For short:    Lpp implements Greenspun's Tenth Law         (nice!)

There is also: ecl (http://ecls.sourceforge.net)
for the same purpose.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__                     http://www.informatimago.com/
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he doesn't
From: Eric Moss
Pascal Bourguignon <····@thalassa.informatimago.com> wrote in message news:<··············@thalassa.informatimago.com>...
> William Paul Vrotney <·······@earthlink.net> writes:
> > A new Lpp 1.21 has been released and is available for download at
> >
> >         http://www.interhack.net/projects/lpp
> >
> >                                Short Overview
> >
> >    Lpp (Lisp Plus Plus), is a library of Lisp like functions and macros
> > usable in C++ programs.  The philosophy behind Lpp is to provide as
> > close as possible the semantics and style of Lisp rather than try to
> > force it to fit a static style of programming.  Lpp tries to emulate
> > Common Lisp as much as possible in this regard.  By doing things this
> > way part of the true power and flexibility of Lisp can coexist and mix
> > with the static typing features of C++ even within functions and
> > objects.  The hope is that Lpp will be useful for the following
>
> For short:    Lpp implements Greenspun's Tenth Law         (nice!)

That's insulting.  I'm sure the author would rather write in CL, but
as mentioned below, that's not always possible.

> There is also: ecl (http://ecls.sourceforge.net)
> for the same purpose.

The target audience is different.  As stated at the Lpp site, Lpp is,
among other things, "An alternative for Lisp programmers who need to
program in C++."

[1] Not all workplaces will allow a mix of Lisp and C/C++.
[2] Lpp is small and fast and requires no intermediate steps or
"non-off-the-shelf" tools to produce the code that gets compiled and
debugged in gdb.
[3] Lpp's mp library is written in C++/Lpp and so will not be bound to
a particular version of a particular CPU.

Thus, as compared to ECL, Lpp provides fewer excuses for a C++ shop's
manager to fear and disallow its use.

This is not to say ECL is bad (it isn't), but that potential users of
Lpp (Lispers forced to use C++) shouldn't be scared off or confused
into thinking Lpp and ECL are for *exactly* the same purpose and
audience.

Eric
From: Pascal Bourguignon
········@inebraska.com (Eric Moss) writes:

> Pascal Bourguignon <····@thalassa.informatimago.com> wrote in message news:<··············@thalassa.informatimago.com>...
> > William Paul Vrotney <·······@earthlink.net> writes:
> > > A new Lpp 1.21 has been released and is available for download at
> > >
> > >         http://www.interhack.net/projects/lpp
> > >
> > >                                Short Overview
> > >
> > >    Lpp (Lisp Plus Plus), is a library of Lisp like functions and macros
> > > usable in C++ programs.  The philosophy behind Lpp is to provide as
> > > close as possible the semantics and style of Lisp rather than try to
> > > force it to fit a static style of programming.  Lpp tries to emulate
> > > Common Lisp as much as possible in this regard.  By doing things this
> > > way part of the true power and flexibility of Lisp can coexist and mix
> > > with the static typing features of C++ even within functions and
> > > objects.  The hope is that Lpp will be useful for the following
> >
> > For short:    Lpp implements Greenspun's Tenth Law         (nice!)
>
> That's insulting.  I'm sure the author would rather write in CL, but
> as mentioned below, that's not always possible.

Not at all.   The "(nice!)" was intended to inform you  that I find it
nice to have a "good" implementation of Greenspun's Tenth Law, instead
of having to do a half assed one every time it's needed.

> > There is also: ecl (http://ecls.sourceforge.net)
> > for the same purpose.
>
> The target audience is different.  As stated at the Lpp site, Lpp is,
> among other things, "An alternative for Lisp programmers who need to
> program in C++."
>
> [1] Not all workplaces will allow a mix of Lisp and C/C++.
> [2] Lpp is small and fast and requires no intermediate steps or
> "non-off-the-shelf" tools to produce the code that gets compiled and
> debugged in gdb.
> [3] Lpp's mp library is written in C++/Lpp and so will not be bound to
> a particular version of a particular CPU.
>
> Thus, as compared to ECL, Lpp provides fewer excuses for a C++ shop's
> manager to fear and disallow its use.

But this is ridiculous!  clisp and ecl are also written in plain C! So
if your manager disallow the use of Lisp, you can always bury clisp or
ecl deep in your source and show him that you can run 'make' over your
sources on a system where only a C compiler is installed.

Exactly the same as with Lpp!