From: Pieter Breed
Subject: cross platform gui suggestion
Hi.

Posted this in a thread which was apparently abandoned :)

Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
 >>> Check clx  (included in clisp, compile it  with --module clx/new-clx),
 >>> and Qix and Sokoban examples.
 >> Does clx work in MS Windows???
 > You need  a X server,  but otherwise, there's  no reason AFAIK  why it
 > should not work on proprietary systems.

 >> OP definetly uses MS Windows, because User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0
 >> (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.6) Gecko/20040113

I DO use windows. And I don't have clx installed. I also am not going to
install an XServer on windows. That whole idea seems to me
counter-intuitive/productive whatever.

I was looking more for a GUI solution which somehow uses SDK as a
backend. I have been looking around for a while and nowhere is this even
mentioned. I guess it is not feasable???

This (looking around and so on) have made me think. Is it not possible
to use some widget layout scheme (think Qt's XML-based .ui files) and
depending on the platform use the native widgets to create dialogs and
widgets that have the same functionality?

This would require a lot of glue code to be written for each platform,
but in essence you would have a cross-platform GUI library for lisp and
it would use native widgets. You could have gtl on unix'es, SDK on
windows and <insert right word here> for Mac OS X?

I am not sure if this pie-in-the-sky or skycastles (for example I am
wondering why Qt wouldn't have done this in the first place???), but
from my perspective: SDK is c-based right? so FFC should be able to use
it. I am sure it is possible to (with enough trouble) write a lisp
application which uses SDK in this manner?

Regards
Pieter Breed