From: Yang, Chul-Woong
Subject: CLTL2 formatted in A4
Hi.

Having been Lisp newbie, I've found that printed CLTL2 could be handy
tool in studying Lisp. But after printing out all pages of CLTL2 (letter
size 1086 pages), I found that there were no stapler which could staple
over 1000 pages.

So I have done manual tex reformatting and made A4-size 786 page ps file.
Still it couldn't be fastened with ordinary stapler, but it's been
cut-off 1/3! Now I can carry CLTL2 in my backpack. :-)

If this offering is not against copyright violation, I'll share the
result of dirty chore. (I found that I complete forgot about LaTeX :-(
So page margins are not correct.)

http://ns.aratech.co.kr/~cwyang/lisp/

Yang, Chul-Woong

From: Kenny Tilton
Subject: Re: CLTL2 formatted in A4
Yang, Chul-Woong wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Having been Lisp newbie, I've found that printed CLTL2 could be handy
> tool in studying Lisp. But after printing out all pages of CLTL2 (letter
> size 1086 pages), I found that there were no stapler which could staple
> over 1000 pages.
>
> So I have done manual tex reformatting and made A4-size 786 page ps file.
> Still it couldn't be fastened with ordinary stapler, but it's been
> cut-off 1/3! Now I can carry CLTL2 in my backpack. :-)

Kudos for a brave effort, but why did you not just bookmark the HyperSpec?:

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/Groups/AI/html/hyperspec/HyperSpec/FrontMatter/index.html

Doesn't your laptop fit in your backback?

:)

kenny

--
http://tilton-technology.com

From: Yang, Chul-Woong
Printed form sometimes wins electronic form.
Original book wins self-printed book in all points except cost, I think.
(I love my old book - Common Lisp The Language 1/ed)

And...
After taking automatic software update (Battery Update) for my ibook,
ibook goes down sleeping after 10 min without external power.
No applecare, no service. My ibook becomes desktop! :-( :-)

Yang, Chul-Woong

From: Kenny Tilton
Yang, Chul-Woong wrote:

> Printed form sometimes wins electronic form.
> Original book wins self-printed book in all points except cost, I think.
> (I love my old book - Common Lisp The Language 1/ed)
>
> And...
> After taking automatic software update (Battery Update) for my ibook,
> ibook goes down sleeping after 10 min without external power.
> No applecare, no service. My ibook becomes desktop! :-( :-)

My iBook won't run at all without wall power. But I have applecare and
will soon seek service. has anyone else noticed that apple is shipping a
lot of crap lately? I have had a G4 power supply and logic board go
down, the iBook <something> fail, my iPod battery holds a charge good
for about 90 min... and my experience is typical. My brother's iPod was
DOA.

Nice OS, but don't forget the applecare. :(

kenny

--
http://tilton-technology.com

From: Michael Hudson

> Yang, Chul-Woong wrote:
>
> > Printed form sometimes wins electronic form.
> > Original book wins self-printed book in all points except cost, I think.
> > (I love my old book - Common Lisp The Language 1/ed)
> > And...
> > After taking automatic software update (Battery Update) for my ibook,
> > ibook goes down sleeping after 10 min without external power.
> > No applecare, no service. My ibook becomes desktop! :-( :-)
>
> My iBook won't run at all without wall power.

How old is it?  Li-ion batteries just die after a while, an
unfortunate fact of life.

Cheers,
mwh

--
81. In computing, turning the obvious into the useful is a living
    definition of the word "frustration".
From: Kenny Tilton
Michael Hudson wrote:

> Kenny Tilton <·······@nyc.rr.com> writes:
>

>>Yang, Chul-Woong wrote:
>>

>>>Printed form sometimes wins electronic form.
>>>Original book wins self-printed book in all points except cost, I think.
>>>(I love my old book - Common Lisp The Language 1/ed)
>>>And...
>>>After taking automatic software update (Battery Update) for my ibook,
>>>ibook goes down sleeping after 10 min without external power.
>>>No applecare, no service. My ibook becomes desktop! :-( :-)
>>
>>My iBook won't run at all without wall power.
>

> How old is it?  Li-ion batteries just die after a while, an
> unfortunate fact of life.

This bad boy stopped charging within the first year. I just haven't
bothered getting it fixed (but methinks the AppleCare runs out soon, so
I better get off my duff.) Even with the AppleCare, this is a PITA: find
the applecare agreement, two trips crosstown, who knows what other
aggravation/hassles. And now I have to fork out hundreds more on my next
Apple purchase because I know they are building crap. Mind you, I have
been an Apple booster since my Apple II days, so this is a friend
talking. But I have also bought 15-20 systems over the years and this is
/not/ what hardware is supposed to be like.

kenny

--
http://tilton-technology.com

From: Zach Beane
Subject: OT: iBook battery (was: Re: CLTL2 formatted in A4)

>>>My iBook won't run at all without wall power.
>> How old is it?  Li-ion batteries just die after a while, an
>> unfortunate fact of life.
>
> This bad boy stopped charging within the first year. I just haven't
> bothered getting it fixed (but methinks the AppleCare runs out soon,
> so I better get off my duff.)

Same here, except it was just out of warranty. It's so inconvenient to
chain it to a wall, though, that I sucked it up and bought a new
battery for $120.

> [...] But I have also bought 15-20 systems over the years
> and this is /not/ what hardware is supposed to be like.

It sure has room for improvement, but I haven't used another laptop I
like as much (except, of course, bigger and faster Mac laptops). Any
recommendations?

Zach
From: Edi Weitz
Subject: Re: OT: iBook battery
On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 11:26:42 -0500, Zach Beane <····@xach.com> wrote:

> It sure has room for improvement, but I haven't used another laptop
> I like as much (except, of course, bigger and faster Mac
> laptops). Any recommendations?

IBM T Series Thinkpads. I've used and loved Macs for years until I
mainly switched to Linux. Compared to one of the high-end T models
from IBM every PowerBook is just crap IMHO. The 1400x1050 displays are
great, the keyboard is incredible, their service is wonderful.

Two downers:

1. The good ones (SXGA screen, 7200 RPM hard disk, a/b/g WLAN, all
   that stuff) are really expensive.

2. They don't run Mac OS X (although Thinkpads are a better choice
   than most other x86 laptops if you want to install Linux).

Cheers,
Edi.
From: Zach Beane
Edi Weitz <···@agharta.de> writes:

> On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 11:26:42 -0500, Zach Beane <····@xach.com> wrote:
>
>> It sure has room for improvement, but I haven't used another laptop
>> I like as much (except, of course, bigger and faster Mac
>> laptops). Any recommendations?
>
> IBM T Series Thinkpads. I've used and loved Macs for years until I
> mainly switched to Linux. Compared to one of the high-end T models
> from IBM every PowerBook is just crap IMHO. The 1400x1050 displays are
> great, the keyboard is incredible, their service is wonderful.

I like MacOS X's laptop integration; it is smart about going to
sleep when it is low on battery, it knows when it has been plugged in
so you don't get stacks of "Your battery is low!" dialogs, it knows
when it has woken up, etc. How is the Linux laptop integration on a
Thinkpad?

Zach
From: Edi Weitz
On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 15:42:07 -0500, Zach Beane <····@xach.com> wrote:

> I like MacOS X's laptop integration; it is smart about going to
> sleep when it is low on battery, it knows when it has been plugged
> in so you don't get stacks of "Your battery is low!" dialogs, it
> knows when it has woken up, etc. How is the Linux laptop integration
> on a Thinkpad?

The same. All the things you mention all work for me (T23) with SuSE
9.0. They also worked with Gentoo 1.1a. The laptop will also
automatically dim the screen when not plugged in. Things like screen
brightness or speaker/headphone volume can be adjusted with keys which
are controlled by the BIOS and thus work out of the box with Linux.

One thing that only works with very recent distributions is
dynamically changing the CPU's clock speed depending on the workload
and whether the laptop is on battery or not. For newer models you'll
probably want to use a 2.6 kernel because it is supposed to have much
better laptop support. If in doubt check with one of

  <http://www.linux-thinkpad.org/>
  <http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/ibm.html>
  <http://www-306.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-48NT8D.html>

before you buy or grab a Knoppix CD (newest is 3.4) and try to run it
on a Thinkpad at your local IBM dealer.

Things that probably don't work out of the box (depending on your
distro) are some modems, some of the faster WLAN chips, and maybe DMA
support for the Centrino chipsets. Almost all these issues can be
resolved with a bit of grunt work, though.

HTH,
Edi.
From: Gorbag
"Edi Weitz" <···@agharta.de> wrote in message
···················@bird.agharta.de...
> On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 11:26:42 -0500, Zach Beane <····@xach.com> wrote:
>
> > It sure has room for improvement, but I haven't used another laptop
> > I like as much (except, of course, bigger and faster Mac
> > laptops). Any recommendations?
>
> IBM T Series Thinkpads. I've used and loved Macs for years until I
> mainly switched to Linux. Compared to one of the high-end T models
> from IBM every PowerBook is just crap IMHO. The 1400x1050 displays are
> great, the keyboard is incredible, their service is wonderful.

While I strongly disagree that Powerbooks are "crap" compared to the T
Series, I do agree that these are the best (mainstream) Intel based
notebooks one can buy. Very high build quality. The biggest minus is the
annoying thumbie they stick into the middle of the keyboard. I bought a mini
mouse to use with it on the road (when I had one). The docking station is
also a nice idea -not quite the Duo dock, but still better than the third
party solutions you can get for Macs. If you don't care about running Mac OS
X, this is the notebook to buy.
From: Edi Weitz
On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 17:02:01 -0500, "Gorbag" <·············@nospam.mac.com> wrote:

> The biggest minus is the annoying thumbie they stick into the middle
> of the keyboard.

I love it... :)

FWIW, all new Thinkpads come with both the trackpoint (the "thumbie")
and a trackpad. You can enable one of them or both.

Edi.
From: Marc Battyani
"Edi Weitz" <···@agharta.de> wrote

> IBM T Series Thinkpads. I've used and loved Macs for years until I
> mainly switched to Linux. Compared to one of the high-end T models
> from IBM every PowerBook is just crap IMHO. The 1400x1050 displays are
> great, the keyboard is incredible, their service is wonderful.
>
> Two downers:
>
> 1. The good ones (SXGA screen, 7200 RPM hard disk, a/b/g WLAN, all
>    that stuff) are really expensive.

Great LCD displays are a very important point IMHO. I have a 1920x1200 WUXGA
screen and it's really great. Generally, I only change my laptop when there
is a better screen available.
Dell Inpirons are much cheaper than IBM's. I take them with the smallest disk
and RAM available then change them (80GbDD+1GbRAM). They are probably less
reliable than T Series but I generally change them before the end of the
warranty. ;-)

Marc
From: Edi Weitz
On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 22:25:16 +0100, "Marc Battyani" <·············@fractalconcept.com> wrote:

> Dell Inpirons are much cheaper than IBM's.

Yes, but they're bulky. I carry my T with me every day. I'm happy that
it's rugged and lightweight. (Size and weight of my T23 are almost
comparable to a 15'' PowerBook.)

Edi.
From: Bulent Murtezaoglu
[...]

    EW> ... The 1400x1050 displays are great, the keyboard is
    EW> incredible, their service is wonderful.

I got an a30p, 1600x1200 display.  Dunno about service, but will find out
(killed the hard drive with about 2 years remaining on the warranty).  That
display will make your life very expensive for the desktop, though.  I have
a Sony F520 CRT for the desktop which I should just be satisfied with
but having used the a30p I am now lusting for those 23" 200dpi LCDs that
cost their weight in gold.

    EW> Two downers:

    EW> 1. The good ones (SXGA screen, 7200 RPM hard disk, a/b/g WLAN,
    EW> all that stuff) are really expensive.

Good deals can be had.  I paid about $1500 for mine, all told (1gig
ram + extra floppy + case etc.) it came to less than $2k in 2002.

    EW> 2. They don't run Mac OS X (although Thinkpads are a better
    EW> choice than most other x86 laptops if you want to install
    EW> Linux).

I had no problems with debian except the modem (tho I googled before and
was prepared).

cheers,

BM