From: Paolo Amoroso
Subject: McCLIM: dramatic performance improvement
From time to time I do a sort of McCLIM "stress test". I have just
done that again after building McCLIM from the latest CVS sources, and
I am happy to report a dramatic performance improvement.

My test is simply to execute at the CLIM listener prompt the following
command, which draws an impressive graph:

  Show Class Subclasses (class) t

Last time I checked, a few weeks ago, it took my PC (2.8 GHz Pentium
IV with 2 GB of RAM, CMUCL 18e under Debian Woody) about 15 seconds to
complete the command. Now the graph is drawn almost instantaneously,
within about 1 second.

This performance improvement is likely to be related to the latest
changes to the CVS sources, which remove busy waiting by means of
condition variables for event queues. But since I haven't run the test
within the past few weeks, I can't tell for sure.

My sincerest kudos and thanks to the dedicated McCLIM team and to Dan
Barlow, whose condition variables patch was recently merged to the CVS
sources.

Paolo