From: Pieter
Subject: clisp windows app
Hi,

I am another newbie :)  I would like to write an clisp program which
uses GUI elements on windows. But I cannot figger out how to go about
this even conceptually.

Would someone please give a pointer or maybe a hello world type example?

Regards
Pieter Breed

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: clisp windows app
Pieter <·······@lynxgeo.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am another newbie :)  I would like to write an clisp program which
> uses GUI elements on windows. But I cannot figger out how to go about
> this even conceptually.
>
> Would someone please give a pointer or maybe a hello world type example?

Check clx  (included in clisp, compile it  with --module clx/new-clx),
and Qix and Sokoban examples.

Then you can have a look at clim or garnet.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__                     http://www.informatimago.com/
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he doesn't
From: Ivan Boldyrev
On 8663 day of my life Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
> Pieter <·······@lynxgeo.com> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am another newbie :)  I would like to write an clisp program which
>> uses GUI elements on windows. But I cannot figger out how to go about
>> this even conceptually.
>>
>> Would someone please give a pointer or maybe a hello world type example?
>
> Check clx  (included in clisp, compile it  with --module clx/new-clx),
> and Qix and Sokoban examples.

Does clx work in MS Windows???

OP definetly uses MS Windows, because User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0
(Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.6) Gecko/20040113

--
Ivan Boldyrev

                                       XML -- new language of ML family.
From: Pascal Bourguignon
Ivan Boldyrev <···············@cgitftp.uiggm.nsc.ru> writes:
> > Check clx  (included in clisp, compile it  with --module clx/new-clx),
> > and Qix and Sokoban examples.
>
> Does clx work in MS Windows???

You need  a X server,  but otherwise, there's  no reason AFAIK  why it
should not work on proprietary systems.

From: Pieter Breed
Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
> Ivan Boldyrev <···············@cgitftp.uiggm.nsc.ru> writes:
>
>>>Check clx  (included in clisp, compile it  with --module clx/new-clx),
>>>and Qix and Sokoban examples.
>>
>>Does clx work in MS Windows???
>

> You need  a X server,  but otherwise, there's  no reason AFAIK  why it
> should not work on proprietary systems.
>

>>OP definetly uses MS Windows, because User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0
>>(Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.6) Gecko/20040113

I DO use windows. And I don't have clx installed. I also am not going to
install an XServer on windows. That whole idea seems to me
counter-intuitive.

I was look more for a solution which somehow uses SDK as a backend. I
have been looking around for a while and nowhere is this even mentioned.
I guess it is not feasable???

This (looking around and so on) have made me think. Is it not possible
to use some widget layout scheme (think Qt's XML-based .ui files) and
depending on the platform use the native widgets to create dialogs and
widgets that have the same functionality?

This would require a lot of glue code to be written for each platform,
but in essence you would have a cross-platform GUI library for lisp and
it would use native widgets. You could have gtl on unix'es, SDK on
windows and <insert right word here> for Mac OS X?

I am not sure if this pie-in-the-sky or skycastles (for example I am
wondering why Qt wouldn't have done this in the first place???), but
from my perspective: SDK is c-based right? so FFC should be able to use
it. I am sure it is possible to (with enought trouble) write a lips
application which uses SDK in this manner.

Regards
Pieter Breed
From: Matthias
Pieter Breed <·······@lynxgeo.com> writes:
> I was look more for a solution which somehow uses SDK as a backend. I
> have been looking around for a while and nowhere is this even
> mentioned. I guess it is not feasable???
>
> This (looking around and so on) have made me think. Is it not possible
> to use some widget layout scheme (think Qt's XML-based .ui files) and
> depending on the platform use the native widgets to create dialogs and
> widgets that have the same functionality?

This is possible.  It's been done in the python community: They have
Qt-bindings and a compiler which compiles .ui files, generated by Qt's
interface builder, to python code instead to c++.  Qt give you the OS
independence and the intermediate xml gives you some language
independence (AFAIK compilers exist for c++ and python only).

The reasons why this is not being done in the CL world probably are
that (1) Qt's object model does not fit into CLOS very nicely, (2)
porting a complex c++ lib to (many of the) existing CL implementations
is not exactly fun, and (3) many CL developers prefer solutions which
are "more lisp-like".

Matthias