From: Tim Bradshaw
Subject: A good challenge for Lisp (or AI)
I've just read an interesting article which made me think of an
interesting challenge for a Lisp/AI system.

There are a large number of SMS-based (see recent  cll articles if
you're an american and don't know what SMS is) chat services  These
typically use some premium-rate number to get their money.  Many of
them are, well, the kind of things you'd expect premium-rate SMS chat
services to be.

Apparently the `person' at the far end of many of these services is
actually a robot.  Presumably this works because the domain of
discourse is terribly limited, and also the medium is delightfully
restrictive (how much can you say in 160 chars?).  People don't
realise it's a robot.

Something like this would have to be a delight to do in lisp: there
are essentially no interface requirements (presumably you can just buy
SMS gateways which talk some fairly trivial protocol: it's just text
and phone numbers!), it's probably not very computationally
demanding,and of course Lisp is good at this AI-type stuff.  Finally,
you get to make money if it works.  Lastly I *really want* to go to
the talk at some future Lisp conference where someone explains how
they got rich from porn, using Lisp!

--tim

From: Artem Baguinski
Subject: Re: A good challenge for Lisp (or AI)
i met certain Ben Whittam Smith at Artificial Stupidity / Artificial
Intelligence event in 2002, he had made a project just like that for
some english mobile phone company. don't know if any lisp was involved
though.

--
gr{oe|ee}t{en|ings}
artm
From: Bulent Murtezaoglu
[...]
    TimB> Apparently the `person' at the far end of many of these
    TimB> services is actually a robot.  Presumably this works because
    TimB> the domain of discourse is terribly limited, and also the
    TimB> medium is delightfully restrictive (how much can you say in
    TimB> 160 chars?).  People don't realise it's a robot. [...]

Check out aolisa (http://fury.com/aoliza/).  I am not terribly
impressed by that page, but of course a better version in a restricted
domain is probably doable.

cheers,

BM
From: Steven M. Haflich
Tim Bradshaw wrote:

> Something like this would have to be a delight to do in lisp: there
> are essentially no interface requirements (presumably you can just buy
> SMS gateways which talk some fairly trivial protocol: it's just text
> and phone numbers!), it's probably not very computationally
> demanding,and of course Lisp is good at this AI-type stuff.  Finally,
> you get to make money if it works.  Lastly I *really want* to go to
> the talk at some future Lisp conference where someone explains how
> they got rich from porn, using Lisp!

See http://www.pandorabots.com/ which, while in no way being dedicated
to sex chat, hosts a huge number of robots.  Both the web server and
the AIML engine computing the robot end of the conversation are
implemented in Common Lisp (Allegro).  Of course, the client in this
case is a web browser -- I don'tknow if instant messaging and phone
messaging have been implemented.

All that needs to be done is implement the specific personality and
response content for your intended, umm, application.  This isn't a
small job, of course, but meanwhile the site is free for you to use
and provides a mechanism for you to charge for conversations with
your robot.