From: Michiel Borkent
Subject: What LISP environment to use with Win2k?
Hi,
I am new to LISP and want to learn it using the book of Peter Norvig:
Paradigms of AI programming.
I am using Win2k - which LISP should I use and where can I download it?

Gr,
Michiel

From: Will Hartung
Subject: Re: What LISP environment to use with Win2k?
"Michiel Borkent" <·······@cs.utwente.nl> wrote in message
·················@ares.cs.utwente.nl...
> Hi,
> I am new to LISP and want to learn it using the book of Peter Norvig:
> Paradigms of AI programming.
> I am using Win2k - which LISP should I use and where can I download it?

I like the one you can find on Google...

Regards,

Will Hartung
(·····@msoft.com)
From: Kenny Tilton
Michiel Borkent wrote:
> Hi,
> I am new to LISP and want to learn it using the book of Peter Norvig:
> Paradigms of AI programming.
> I am using Win2k - which LISP should I use and where can I download it?

I like the AllegroCL IDE (see franz.com). Others like Lispworks (see
lispworks.com). Consider also Corman Common Lisp.

--
http://tilton-technology.com

From: Henrik Motakef

> I like the AllegroCL IDE (see franz.com). Others like Lispworks (see
> lispworks.com). Consider also Corman Common Lisp.

Or maybe CLISP, perhaps with the Jabberwocky IDE. Or maybe even ECL or
GCL.

In general, see <http://alu.cliki.net/implementation> and
<http://www.cliki.net/Common%20Lisp%20implementation>. Which one is
best for you depends on many factors, to just play with CL a little,
they all should be OK.

You probably won't get a consensus about the best Lisp for Windows
here or anywhere else. All that have been mentioned are at least free
to try, so make up your own mind.
From: Kenny Tilton
Henrik Motakef wrote:
> Kenny Tilton <·······@nyc.rr.com> writes:
>

>>I like the AllegroCL IDE (see franz.com). Others like Lispworks (see
>>lispworks.com). Consider also Corman Common Lisp.
>

> Or maybe CLISP, perhaps with the Jabberwocky IDE. Or maybe even ECL or
> GCL.
>
> In general, see <http://alu.cliki.net/implementation> and
> <http://www.cliki.net/Common%20Lisp%20implementation>. Which one is
> best for you depends on many factors, to just play with CL a little,
> they all should be OK.
>
> You probably won't get a consensus about the best Lisp for Windows
> here or anywhere else. All that have been mentioned are at least free
> to try, so make up your own mind.

I think a newbie should stay with a polished IDE available thru a
painless install, such as (my preferred order) AllegroCL, Lispworks, and
Corman.

Then, yes, there are other alternatives to consider once they decide
they are in for the long haul.

kenny

--

  clinisys, inc
  http://www.tilton-technology.com/
From: Andreas Yankopolus
Michiel,

> I am new to LISP and want to learn it using the book
> of Peter Norvig: Paradigms of AI programming.
> I am using Win2k - which LISP should I use and where
> can I download it?

I'm using CLISP (http://clisp.cons.org/) on my W2K box at work and
running it as an Emacs subprocess with Ilisp. Ilisp improves on Emacs'
built-in communications facilities with a Lisp subprocess. Be forewarned
that configuring this combination is no walk in the park. There's some
good info at http://cl-cookbook.sourceforge.net/windows.html

Cheers,

Andreas
From: John Thingstad
On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 10:37:41 -0600, Andreas Yankopolus
<·······@nospam.yank.to> wrote:

> Michiel,
>
>> I am new to LISP and want to learn it using the book
>> of Peter Norvig: Paradigms of AI programming.
>> I am using Win2k - which LISP should I use and where
>> can I download it?
>
> I'm using CLISP (http://clisp.cons.org/) on my W2K box at work and
> running it as an Emacs subprocess with Ilisp. Ilisp improves on Emacs'
> built-in communications facilities with a Lisp subprocess. Be forewarned
> that configuring this combination is no walk in the park. There's some
> good info at http://cl-cookbook.sourceforge.net/windows.html
>
> Cheers,
>
> Andreas

I use Corman Lisp. www.cormanlisp.com.
This is a compiled lisp. windows and 80x86/7 spesific and quite fast.
Why don't you try it the trial is for free. I went on to develop a emacs
IDE long after the IDE timed out.
The runtime is for free.

John

From: Miroslaw Osys
Norvig book could be too advanced for learning LISP.
I suggest "Lisp" by Winston, Horn
or "ANSI Common Lisp" by Graham.
Also search for web tutors.

Regards