From: Henna
Subject: On getting started with gcl
I have installed working gcl.
I am reading its manual.
How do I set the path to the directory where plisp code is?
How do I load the package?
How do I see its current path?

I guess I am not getting the syntax correct as it is
different from emacs.

Is there a .gcl file where you can put preferences?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you consider the content of this post to be particularly offensive, disgusting or plain illegal,
it is probably 'designer abuse', a message designed specifically to hurt the remailer's reputation/existence.
  http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=6THHPRAL38002.4374074074%40anonymous&oe=UTF-8&output=gplain
Some people hate this remailer so badly that, for example, they did not hesitate to celebrate the death of 148 French tourists in a plane crash.
Those people seceded from the human race, so don't hesitate to report them directly to the police.
2004/01/03 (contact <·····@cotse.com>) Blue.Jay celebrates
  http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=Ymx1ZWpheQ%3D%3D.19d787f018eb3019d6fd3faa2125547c%401073158846.cotse.net&oe=UTF-8&output=gplain
2004/01/19 <·····@thetis.deor.org> Len Sassaman chooses that moment to bring his support to Blue.Jay
  http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=Pine.LNX.4.58.0401181826110.31463%40thetis.deor.org&oe=UTF-8&output=gplain

More about the subject will be available http://frogadmin.yi.org/HOS/

From: Mike Thomas
Subject: Re: On getting started with gcl
Hi there.

If you're still there, welcome to GNU Common Lisp.  You cane get more
information on the GCL developers mailing list (used for everbody, not just
developers) and web page:

http://www.gnu.org/software/gcl/

"Henna" <··················@See.Comment.Header> wrote in message
····························@Gilgamesh-Frog.org...

> I have installed working gcl.
> I am reading its manual.
> How do I set the path to the directory where plisp code is?

(si::chdir "c:/")

"c:/"

> How do I load the package?

Say there is a file called test.lsp on the C: drive with the line :

(print "HELLO WORLD")

then

(load "test.lsp")

"HELLO WORLD"
Finished loading test.lsp

> How do I see its current path?

Don't know sorry.  On Unix you could probably do (system "pwd")

On Windows  (system "dir"), but that also prints a directory listing.

> I guess I am not getting the syntax correct as it is
> different from emacs.
>
> Is there a .gcl file where you can put preferences?

Use init.lsp in the current directory eg.

$ ./unixport/saved_ansi_gcl.exe
GCL (GNU Common Lisp)  (2.6.1) Thu Feb 19 11:54:26 EAST 2004
Licensed under GNU Library General Public License
Modifications of this banner must retain notice of a compatible license
Dedicated to the memory of W. Schelter

Use (help) to get some basic information on how to use GCL.

"HELLO THERE"
Finished loading init.lsp

Cheers

Mike Thomas
From: Billy O'Connor
"Mike Thomas" <······@brisbane.paradigmgeo.com> writes:

> $ ./unixport/saved_ansi_gcl.exe
> GCL (GNU Common Lisp)  (2.6.1) Thu Feb 19 11:54:26 EAST 2004
> Licensed under GNU Library General Public License
> Modifications of this banner must retain notice of a compatible license
> Dedicated to the memory of W. Schelter
>
> Use (help) to get some basic information on how to use GCL.
>
> "HELLO THERE"
> Finished loading init.lsp

Just curious here, I notice that if I have init.lsp with one line in
it:
(load "test1.lsp")

And test1.lsp contains:
(print "hello, world")

running gcl will output:
GCL (GNU Common Lisp)  (2.6.1) Sat Feb 14 18:34:53 UTC 2004
Licensed under GNU Library General Public License
Modifications of this banner must retain notice of a compatible license
Dedicated to the memory of W. Schelter

Use (help) to get some basic information on how to use GCL.

"hello, world"
"hello, world"
"hello, world"
"hello, world"
"hello, world"
"hello, world"
"hello, world"
"hello, world"
"hello, world"
Finished loading test1.lsp
Finished loading init.lsp

Any idea why so many?
From: Joe Marshall
Billy O'Connor <·······@gnuyork.org> writes:

> Just curious here, I notice that if I have init.lsp with one line in
> it:
> (load "test1.lsp")
>
> And test1.lsp contains:
> (print "hello, world")
>
> running gcl will output:
> GCL (GNU Common Lisp)  (2.6.1) Sat Feb 14 18:34:53 UTC 2004
> Licensed under GNU Library General Public License
> Modifications of this banner must retain notice of a compatible license
> Dedicated to the memory of W. Schelter
>
> Use (help) to get some basic information on how to use GCL.
>
> "hello, world"
> "hello, world"
> "hello, world"
> "hello, world"
> "hello, world"
> "hello, world"
> "hello, world"
> "hello, world"
> "hello, world"
> Finished loading test1.lsp
> Finished loading init.lsp
>

> Any idea why so many?

Possibly some of those are the return value of the print expression.

Try putting this in `test1.lsp':

(progn (print "hello, world") 'foo)

--
~jrm
From: Billy O'Connor
Joe Marshall <·············@comcast.net> writes:

>> "hello, world"
>> "hello, world"
>> Finished loading test1.lsp
>> Finished loading init.lsp
>>
>> Any idea why so many?
>
> Possibly some of those are the return value of the print expression.
>
> Try putting this in `test1.lsp':
>
> (progn (print "hello, world") 'foo)

Yes, that worked, but it's also stopped happening the other way.  :/
From: Joe Marshall
Billy O'Connor <·······@gnuyork.org> writes:

> Joe Marshall <·············@comcast.net> writes:
>
>>> "hello, world"
>>> "hello, world"
>>> Finished loading test1.lsp
>>> Finished loading init.lsp
>>>
>>> Any idea why so many?
>>
>> Possibly some of those are the return value of the print expression.
>>
>> Try putting this in `test1.lsp':
>>
>> (progn (print "hello, world") 'foo)
>
> Yes, that worked, but it's also stopped happening the other way.  :/

As in it doesn't print "hello, world" at all and doesn't print 'foo?

Try putting in this:

(eval-when (:compile-toplevel)
  (print "compile-toplevel")
  'result-of-compile-toplevel)

(eval-when (:load-toplevel)
  (print "load-toplevel")
  'result-of-load-toplevel)

(eval-when (:execute)
  (print "execute")
  'result-of-execute)
From: Billy O'Connor
Joe Marshall <···@ccs.neu.edu> writes:

>>> Possibly some of those are the return value of the print expression.
>>>
>>> Try putting this in `test1.lsp':
>>>
>>> (progn (print "hello, world") 'foo)
>>
>> Yes, that worked, but it's also stopped happening the other way.  :/
>
> As in it doesn't print "hello, world" at all and doesn't print 'foo?

I meant the multiple print statements stopped happening.

> Try putting in this:
>
> (eval-when (:compile-toplevel)
>   (print "compile-toplevel")
>   'result-of-compile-toplevel)
>
> (eval-when (:load-toplevel)
>   (print "load-toplevel")
>   'result-of-load-toplevel)
>
> (eval-when (:execute)
>   (print "execute")
>   'result-of-execute)

Error: :COMPILE-TOPLEVEL is an undefined situation for EVAL-WHEN.
Fast links are on: do (si::use-fast-links nil) for debugging
Error signalled by EVAL-WHEN.
Broken at EVAL-WHEN.  Type :H for Help.
From: Pascal Bourguignon
> > Try putting in this:
> >
> > (eval-when (:compile-toplevel)
> >   (print "compile-toplevel")
> >   'result-of-compile-toplevel)
> >
> > (eval-when (:load-toplevel)
> >   (print "load-toplevel")
> >   'result-of-load-toplevel)
> >
> > (eval-when (:execute)
> >   (print "execute")
> >   'result-of-execute)
>
> Error: :COMPILE-TOPLEVEL is an undefined situation for EVAL-WHEN.

Then use the older symbols: compile load and execute instead of
:compile-toplevel, :load-toplevel and :execute.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__                     http://www.informatimago.com/
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he doesn't