From: Henna
Subject: postscript to lisp, plisp package error - Invalid read syntax: "#"
This help is requested in connection with the plisp package
written by John Peterson of yale.

I am trying to use it and finding errors. I have no lucid
lisp or any other, other than the emacs lisp. I have
tried to (require 'cl) without error.

(1)
I have renamed all files in plisp to be .el from .lisp since that
is what
emacs seems to expect. This gave more success in the next loading
command. I have also setq the "load-path" variable to include both
the compiler and compiler/common-lisp directories. and checked it.

(2)
I have tried to load build.el as follows inside emacs:

(load "/home/henna/plisp/compiler/build.el") CTRL-x CTRL-e

The error I get in minibuffer is:

Invalid read syntax: "#"

Is there a simple method to solve this?
I am looking on comp.lang.postscript/lisp for help on plisp and there
is no traffic or conversation on this.

You can see the result of renaming:

% du -a
3       ./common-lisp/lisp-util.el
3       ./common-lisp/loop.el
2       ./common-lisp/mvalues.el
3       ./common-lisp/numeric.el
3       ./common-lisp/bind.el
3       ./common-lisp/control.el
2       ./common-lisp/for.el
2       ./common-lisp/functional.el
22      ./common-lisp
9       ./defps.el
2       ./flow.el
4       ./macros.el
2       ./names.el
5       ./output.el
1       ./plisp-compile.el
1       ./rename
9       ./top.el
1       ./util.el
6       ./args.el
1       ./build.el
6       ./compile.el
1       ./rename~
2       ./vars.el
1       ./t~
2       ./ps-vars.el

(3)
I loaded the file using the debugging enabled as:

(setq debug-on-error t)

and I get the following error:

Signaling: (invalid-read-syntax "#")
  eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*<2>> nil "output")
  load-with-code-conversion("/home/henna/plisp/compiler/output.el" "output"
 nil nil)
  load("output")
  eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*> nil "/home/henna/plisp/compiler/build.el")
  load-with-code-conversion("/home/henna/plisp/compiler/build.el"
"/home/henna/plisp/compiler/build.e$
  load("/home/henna/plisp/compiler/build.el")
  eval((load "/home/henna/plisp/compiler/build.el"))
  eval-last-sexp(nil)
* call-interactively(eval-last-sexp)

Thanks
·····@techemail.com

-=-
This message was posted via two or more anonymous remailing services.

From: Henrik Motakef
··················@See.Comment.Header (Henna) writes:

> I am trying to use it and finding errors. I have no lucid
> lisp or any other, other than the emacs lisp. I have
> tried to (require 'cl) without error.
>

> (1)
> I have renamed all files in plisp to be .el from .lisp since that
> is what
> emacs seems to expect.

Emacs Lisp and Common Lisp are quite different languages, and (require
'cl) is merely cosmetic. It doesn't make the languages compatible. You
won't be able to run Common Lisp programs in Emacs.

But you can simply install a Common Lisp implementation. See
<http://www.cliki.net/Common%20Lisp%20implementation> for a list of
free ones, or <http://alu.cliki.net/Implementation> for commercial
Lisps.
From: Pascal Bourguignon
Henrik Motakef <············@henrik-motakef.de> writes:

> ··················@See.Comment.Header (Henna) writes:
>
> > I am trying to use it and finding errors. I have no lucid
> > lisp or any other, other than the emacs lisp. I have
> > tried to (require 'cl) without error.
> >

> > (1)
> > I have renamed all files in plisp to be .el from .lisp since that
> > is what
> > emacs seems to expect.
>
> Emacs Lisp and Common Lisp are quite different languages, and (require
> 'cl) is merely cosmetic. It doesn't make the languages compatible. You
> won't be able to run Common Lisp programs in Emacs.

Yes you can, but it implies:

> But you can simply install a Common Lisp implementation. See
> <http://www.cliki.net/Common%20Lisp%20implementation> for a list of
> free ones, or <http://alu.cliki.net/Implementation> for commercial
> Lisps.

nocrew implements emacs-cl, a Common-Lisp implementation in Emacs:

http://www.nocrew.org/news.html?article=115
http://www.lisp.se/emacs-cl/

2003-12-04  Now you can run Common Lisp programs in Emacs, and write
Emacs extensions in Common Lisp.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__                     http://www.informatimago.com/
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he doesn't