From: Henna
Subject: postscript to lisp, plisp package error - Invalid read syntax: "#"
This help is requested in connection with the plisp package
written by John Peterson of yale.

I am trying to use it and finding errors. I have no lucid
lisp or any other, other than the emacs lisp. I have
tried to (require 'cl) without error.

(1)
I have renamed all files in plisp to be .el from .lisp since that
is what
emacs seems to expect. This gave more success in the next loading
command. I have also set the "load-path" variable to include both
the compiler and compiler/common-lisp directories.

(2)
I have tried to load build.el as follows inside emacs:

(load "/home/henna/plisp/compiler/build.el") CTRL-x CTRL-e

The error I get in minibuffer is:

Invalid read syntax: "#"

Is there a simple method to solve this?
I am looking on comp.lang.postscript/lisp for help on plisp and there
is no traffic or conversation on this.

You can see the result of renaming:

% du -a
3       ./common-lisp/lisp-util.el
3       ./common-lisp/loop.el
2       ./common-lisp/mvalues.el
3       ./common-lisp/numeric.el
3       ./common-lisp/bind.el
3       ./common-lisp/control.el
2       ./common-lisp/for.el
2       ./common-lisp/functional.el
22      ./common-lisp
9       ./defps.el
2       ./flow.el
4       ./macros.el
2       ./names.el
5       ./output.el
1       ./plisp-compile.el
1       ./rename
9       ./top.el
1       ./util.el
6       ./args.el
1       ./build.el
6       ./compile.el
1       ./rename~
2       ./vars.el
1       ./t~
2       ./ps-vars.el

(3)
I loaded the file using the debugging enabled as:

(setq debug-on-error t)

and I get the following error:

Signaling: (invalid-read-syntax "#")
  eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*<2>> nil "output")
  load-with-code-conversion("/home/henna/plisp/compiler/output.el" "output"
 nil nil)
  load("output")
  eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*> nil "/home/henna/plisp/compiler/build.el")
  load-with-code-conversion("/home/henna/plisp/compiler/build.el"
"/home/henna/plisp/compiler/build.e$
  load("/home/henna/plisp/compiler/build.el")
  eval((load "/home/henna/plisp/compiler/build.el"))
  eval-last-sexp(nil)
* call-interactively(eval-last-sexp)

Thanks
·····@techemail.com

-=-
This message was posted via two or more anonymous remailing services.

From: Joe Marshall
··················@See.Comment.Header (Henna) writes:

> This help is requested in connection with the plisp package
> written by John Peterson of yale.
>
> I am trying to use it and finding errors. I have no lucid
> lisp or any other, other than the emacs lisp. I have
> tried to (require 'cl) without error.

Emacs lisp is no substitute for a real Common Lisp.

--
~jrm
From: Marco Antoniotti
Henna wrote:
> This help is requested in connection with the plisp package
> written by John Peterson of yale.
>
> I am trying to use it and finding errors. I have no lucid
> lisp or any other, other than the emacs lisp. I have
> tried to (require 'cl) without error.

(require 'cl) just gives you some compatibility with Common Lisp from
Emacs Lisp.  The two dialects are quite different.

You should get one of the Common Lisp implementations off the net.  The
sites www.alu.org or www.cliki.net are excellent starting points.

> (1)
> I have renamed all files in plisp to be .el from .lisp since that
> is what
> emacs seems to expect. This gave more success in the next loading
> command. I have also set the "load-path" variable to include both
> the compiler and compiler/common-lisp directories.
>
> (2)
> I have tried to load build.el as follows inside emacs:
>
> (load "/home/henna/plisp/compiler/build.el") CTRL-x CTRL-e
>
> The error I get in minibuffer is:
>
> Invalid read syntax: "#"
>
> Is there a simple method to solve this?

No.  This is one of the fundamental differences between Common Lisp and
Emacs Lisp.  Get a Common Lisp.

It will save you time and eventually it will be better.

Cheers
--
Marco
From: Golan Trevize
Hi,

Now that is a blast from the past.
From the subject it looks like you're looking for a PostScript to Lisp
Compiler, PLisp is a Lisp to PostScript Compiler not a PostScript to Lisp
Compiler.
It helped me years ago before I became prociient in PostScript.

Another good system that wrote quite efficient PostScript was Pdb which was
a "C to PostScript Compiler" it had a lot of uses outside NeWS.

Golan Trevize